Canadian cruisers!!

That rate of 1.10 is what started this thread 3704 posts ago back on January 29th 2015. It was practically a gift for us Canadians. That deal ended on January 7th 2016. It still lasted almost a year. Nobody expects to see it again but we all wish we would ;p

dp

• 1 month later...

I booked a cruise on Monday. RCCL quoted $1725 CAD or $1353 USD, an effective exchange rate of ~1.275. I chose to purchase in USD and my credit card (Chase Amazon Visa, no forex fee) processed the transaction at $1688 CAD, an effective exchange rate of ~1.248.

If my credit card had the usual 2.5% forex fee as most cards in Canada charge, I would have received a rate of ~1.279 from Visa, for an effective cost of $1730 - in which case, the RCCL conversion rate would have beat the average Visa card by about $5.

Unfortunately, Chase is going to be discontinuing both of their remaining Canadian cards on March 15th, so there won't be many ways left to avoid the foreign exchange fee - just one Visa card from HomeTrust Bank and the Rogers/Fido MasterCards.

I have a Chase Marriott Visa card - no foreign transaction fees - which I just got recently (with a bonus of 30,000 marriott reward points!) for those interested.

Chase stopped accepting new applications for the Marriott Visa on September 5, 2017 and the rumour mill is that they will shut down both of their remaining cards (Marriott Visa and Amazon Visa) on March 15, 2018. Amazon actually posted a notice on their website with the shut down date, but has since removed it. Time will tell whether this actually happens, but just an FYI.

Still lasted longer than the former Sears MasterCards, which lost their no-forex benefit sometime last year after Scotiabank bought those accounts from Chase.

Of course, there's always the issue of getting Royal Caribbean to actually charge your card in USD for on board purchases, regardless of what box I check on the Setsail pass....

Edited by cmich068

Chase stopped accepting new applications for the Marriott Visa on September 5, 2017 and the rumour mill is that they will shut down both of their remaining cards (Marriott Visa and Amazon Visa) on March 15, 2018. Amazon actually posted a notice on their website with the shut down date, but has since removed it. Time will tell whether this actually happens, but just an FYI.

Still lasted longer than the former Sears MasterCards, which lost their no-forex benefit sometime last year after Scotiabank bought those accounts from Chase.

Of course, there's always the issue of getting Royal Caribbean to actually charge your card in USD for on board purchases, regardless of what box I check on the Setsail pass....

I hope that Chase does not shut down the Marriott Visa card. Its a card with quite good benefits.

I hope that Chase does not shut down the Marriott Visa card. Its a card with quite good benefits.

I’m hoping that they don’t as well. The annual free nights hotel is a great perk for the $120cdn annual fee. Both my wife and I have the card and are using the free night for a $200US hotel

It was my experience that’s the people checking you in don’t even look at what you selected. I had a feeling so I mentioned I want to be charged in usd and she didn’t even understand what I meant at first.

The last I heard the rate to purchase OBC was 1.30. That rate does not change very often.

Yep, it’s still 1.30. I just got off the phone with RCI G&G. Also asked if it’s possible to add OBC using a USD credit card, and it’s still not possible. Got a couple of USD prepaid credit cards I’m trying to figure out how to use.

I thought there might have been a chance since OBC that’s now available in the Cruise Planner gets converted to CAD for you to spend. Not the same situation of course but somewhat related, so I figured I’d ask. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep, it’s still 1.30. I just got off the phone with RCI G&G. Also asked if it’s possible to add OBC using a USD credit card, and it’s still not possible. Got a couple of USD prepaid credit cards I’m trying to figure out how to use.

I thought there might have been a chance since OBC that’s now available in the Cruise Planner gets converted to CAD for you to spend. Not the same situation of course but somewhat related, so I figured I’d ask. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good to know. Just to Add:

My planner today was posting 1.29 rate for my OBC. haven't purchased anything yet so I haven't locked it in yet.

dp

Edited by dpostman

My planner today was posting 1.29 rate for my OBC. haven't purchased anything yet so I haven't locked it in yet.

dp

Same with my Cruise Planner -- posted rate is 1.29. There is rounding involved, because if you make a purchase, you'll likely find in the confirmation email that the exchange rate used will have more than 2 decimal points (past experience of mine).

Also, I've found that not everything in the Planner uses that rate. For example, some of the items I've found actually use exactly 1.28:

• DreamWorks character breakfast is $12.80 CAD ($10 USD)
  • Deluxe drink package is $61.44 CAD ($48 USD)
  • First Night Done Right is $25.60 CAD ($20 USD)

Not sure why different rates are used. :confused:

Same with my Cruise Planner -- posted rate is 1.29. There is rounding involved, because if you make a purchase, you'll likely find in the confirmation email that the exchange rate used will have more than 2 decimal points (past experience of mine).

Also, I've found that not everything in the Planner uses that rate. For example, some of the items I've found actually use exactly 1.28:

• DreamWorks character breakfast is $12.80 CAD ($10 USD)
  • Deluxe drink package is $61.44 CAD ($48 USD)
  • First Night Done Right is $25.60 CAD ($20 USD)

Not sure why different rates are used. :confused:

You are right about the rounding. But I'm still too far out for the cruise so only some spa items and a few excursions for our baltic cruise are available:(. No Bev packages yet. Although it is friday and I definately already broke even in my package tonight, relaxing and watching a Joe Bonamassa concert. Thinking of booking a Blues Cruise next:cool:

dp

So glad I saw this thread.

My apologies for continuing OT (well this is about Canadian Cruisers) but I much appreciate this news. I was expecting some day soon they would cancel the cards but did not know there was a date in mind.

I thought see if I could see some notice on Amazon (didn't) but see they are now pushing Scotiabank so that goes along with their handling of Sears card.

Ohhhh... found this on Chase:

"Important change to the Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card program

➢ As of March 15, 2018, Chase will be closing all Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card accounts. Please update your credit card information for your Amazon.ca account and for any pre-authorized payments before this date."

This notice must be very new as another bullet point reads:

"➢ You may have received a letter to notify you of this change."

And that is a link to a letter dated three days in the future (Jan 15)

So disappointed. The last reward card in Canada with no Foreign Currency transaction fee. Well, there is one that charges but then rebates so it is close. USA consumers are so much better off with their reward programs.

Just this Christmas I signed up for Amazon Prime in USA sending gifts south last minute. Will be cancelling that today before contract is firm as I will not be doing much US shopping with them.

I have a final payment at end of July. If I make payment after this card is cancelled it will cost me $160. Plus some hotels, excursions. It will be worthwhile to make FP anyway a few months early.

So glad I saw this thread.

My apologies for continuing OT (well this is about Canadian Cruisers) but I much appreciate this news. I was expecting some day soon they would cancel the cards but did not know there was a date in mind.

I thought see if I could see some notice on Amazon (didn't) but see they are now pushing Scotiabank so that goes along with their handling of Sears card.

Ohhhh... found this on Chase:

"Important change to the Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card program

➢ As of March 15, 2018, Chase will be closing all Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card accounts. Please update your credit card information for your Amazon.ca account and for any pre-authorized payments before this date."

This notice must be very new as another bullet point reads:

"➢ You may have received a letter to notify you of this change."

And that is a link to a letter dated three days in the future (Jan 15)

So disappointed. The last reward card in Canada with no Foreign Currency transaction fee. Well, there is one that charges but then rebates so it is close. USA consumers are so much better off with their reward programs.

Just this Christmas I signed up for Amazon Prime in USA sending gifts south last minute. Will be cancelling that today before contract is firm as I will not be doing much US shopping with them.

I have a final payment at end of July. If I make payment after this card is cancelled it will cost me $160. Plus some hotels, excursions. It will be worthwhile to make FP anyway a few months early.

There is one more no-fee no-forex card: HomeTrust Preferred Visa - also has 1% cashback.

I've applied for it but have no personal experience with it otherwise.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Forums mobile app

There is one more no-fee no-forex card: HomeTrust Preferred Visa - also has 1% cashback.

I've applied for it but have no personal experience with it otherwise.

Thanks! I had not heard of HomeTrust. I took a quick look and even though only 1.5% back there is no fee and decent benefits too. And it is cash back and money is good. Better IMHO than the other will-not-say-their-name card I mentioned that rebates their FCTF and the rewards have to be spent on their products and I am not a fan so not for me. I will give HomeTrust a better look. Thanks again

This is the first place I've read about the amazon chase card closing. What a bummer but thanks for the heads up. The only reason I have the card is for the no foreign transaction fee. I'm going to sign up for the hometrust card as well (thanks for that info too!).

My husband has the rogers card. He uses it when he travels for work since the foreign transaction fee rewards go back to him but his employer pays the bill ;)

Thanks! I had not heard of HomeTrust. I took a quick look and even though only 1.5% back there is no fee and decent benefits too. And it is cash back and money is good. Better IMHO than the other will-not-say-their-name card I mentioned that rebates their FCTF and the rewards have to be spent on their products and I am not a fan so not for me. I will give HomeTrust a better look. Thanks again

We recently acquired the Home Trust credit card. Haven't used it as yet but soon will. Easy application process.

This is the first place I've read about the amazon chase card closing. What a bummer but thanks for the heads up. The only reason I have the card is for the no foreign transaction fee. I'm going to sign up for the hometrust card as well (thanks for that info too!).

My husband has the rogers card. He uses it when he travels for work since the foreign transaction fee rewards go back to him but his employer pays the bill ;)

I'm in the same boat. CC is the only place I heard of my Amazon Visa being discontinued. I hardly ever use it but did for ebay and amazon.com purchases. I use a BMO World Elite MC as a rewards card because I can use it at Costco and it seems 3/4 of my income seems to go there so after they dropped American Express, I switched to a MC rewards card. But I always like to have 2 cards just in case so looks like I'll be applying for a Home Trust. :rolleyes:

dp

So glad I bumped into this post. I’m booking a 50th anniversary cruise for both my parents and parents in law, plus my large family of 6. Have been trying to find a Canadian agent that can match quotes from some US online agents to no avail. Now I don’t have to worry about paying in USD if I can get the Hometrust Visa card!