Sailaway on Equinox

tbmrt

We loved the Equinox last year and decided to cruise it again in 2015.

One disappointment for me though was Sailaway. Our cruises always begin with being on the deck looking down onto the band area so we can watch the ship sailaway while listening to the music and watching the crowd's excitement and dancing.

Last December the band played, but with no enthusiasm about it being sailaway or encouraging the crowd to participate. Only two couples were dancing.

Has anyone else experienced this at other Equinox sailaways? Perhaps it was just this band or the cruisers onboard.

We may head to Sunset Bar this upcoming December. Heard that it is fun there at Sailaway.

It all depends on the port; sailing out of Barcelona at the start of the Med cruise last year was a non-event; it's an industrial port really.

Sailing out of the Grand Harbour in Valetta was a stunning event; decks crowded. No need for a band, though, with such a setting!

One disappointment for me though was Sailaway. Our cruises always begin with being on the deck looking down onto the band area so we can watch the ship sailaway while listening to the music and watching the crowd's excitement and dancing.

Last December the band played, but with no enthusiasm about it being sailaway or encouraging the crowd to participate. Only two couples were dancing.

Some of the best sail-aways I've experienced have been aboard Equinox out of Rome and Fort Lauderdale...

That said, each sailing has a different social vibe/sense of fun among guests and I do believe that it can vary somewhat based upon embarkation port and even age demographic/length of sailing/prior cruise experience... Celebrity certainly promotes such events but it is not their style--and I happen to appreciate their lower key approach compared to other cruise lines--to hype guests into a sense of participation/anticipation [no doubt it's there but we all experience it/show it differently] when they're just not feeling it in that way...

With 22 Celebrity cruises down and six more booked, I've never participated in a Roll Call that didn't organize their own sail-away get-together [most often at Sunset Bar] and, though the band is not playing/participants aren't dancing, it's always been fun to "meet and mingle"--before the sponsored get-together--with those cruise mates with whom we've been sharing thoughts, planning, experiences, ideas and anticipation for weeks, months, and sometimes years on-line... If your Roll Call has one organized, you might consider participating in that as an alternative... And if none has yet been scheduled, you may want to consider organizing one--it is not a big deal--as I have on several occasions [set a time after muster, a place, post it to your Roll Call and remind your Roll Call members of the event periodically, and bring along some blank adhesive name tags and sharpies for attendees to write/wear their first names and Cruise Critic screen names; sometimes the organizer also suggests that participants wear something distinctive--Mardi Gras beads are alway popular--to identify themselves as part of the group]... It's a great way to come to know and recognize--and perhaps befriend--those with whom you will be sharing your trip early on during your time aboard...

We loved the Equinox last year and decided to cruise it again in 2015.

Has anyone else experienced this at other Equinox sailaways? Perhaps it was just this band or the cruisers onboard.

We may head to Sunset Bar this upcoming December. Heard that it is fun there at Sailaway.

it could be because everyone else enjoys the same that you do, standing on the upper deck listening to the band and watching the people below dancing and still be able to look at the port. It is the same as everyone turning to shake the hand of the person to their right. Everyone is on the upper deck leaving no one dancing around the pool.

happy cruisng 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞