What do you want to know about cruising?

Mr. Gut, when you were a small boy in short pants, did you dip the pig tails of the pretty  girl who sat in front of you into the inkwell?

Or throw banana skins in front of the night soil carter's feet just as he stepped onto the road?

1 hour ago, Obilix said:

Mr. Gut, when you were a small boy in short pants, did you dip the pig tails of the pretty  girl who sat in front of you into the inkwell?

Or throw banana skins in front of the night soil carter's feet just as he stepped onto the road?

Nope I was a good little boy, honest I was.

Edited by GUT2407

You know, posting that bit of nonsense in jest got me thinking.

Those of us born in the late forties/early fifties lived through and adapted to some fairly unique social norms and habits of daily life that our children and grandchildren will never experience.

Apart from inkwells, pigtails, night soil carters and milk monitors, there was a very different routine to our existence

We walked to school. The milkman came every morning with bottled milk, or fresh milk in a  large can which he partially decanted into mum's container. The baker came every week day afternoon in his horse and cart, and if he liked you or was in a good mood, would give you a free bun and let you hold the reins while old Barney plodded the cart around his well remembered route.

The weekly laundry was done every Saturday morning in the outside laundry or in the open air in an old copper. We still used washboards for their original intended purpose, and used Velvet soap and the blue bag (Bluo?) in the laundry water. If dad was a bit flash he bought mum a mangle to help with the wringing.

We would go to the Railway line and climb on the overpass bridge to wait for the next steam train to go under, so we could smell the distinctive aroma of burning coal and feel the warm steam on our legs and arms.

On Sundays our group of mates would grab a couple of oranges or apples from someones tree (we all had fruit trees in our back yards) and head barefooted into the surrounding bush for the day. There we would build forts and shelters out of saplings and tree branches, collect eucalyptus (Honkey) nuts, and throw them at each other until  one of us got hurt (invariably) and ran home to his mother.

We would catch tadpoles and tiny fish in the local swamps and make arrows out of reeds and bows out of supple branches and string.

At home we would make shanghais out of forked branches, old push bike tire rubber, and leather straps, and had fun until somebody's window got broken.

Those of us born immediately post war will also remember the bread slice with lard or dripping spread on it and sprinkled with sugar, which was an occasional much appreciated treat.

Enough.

Now all we've got is cruising.

Honkey nut fight anyone?

• Thanks 1

Left out slate boards, scholar boxes and blotters. Not to mention tin canoes made from old sheets of corrugated iron, the nail holes in which were sealed from molten tar off a road on a hot day. We didn't have night soil carters. Must have lived in a poorer part of town because we only dunny men (who went home at christmas with enough beer to last the rest of the year). Many neighbours subsisted on chokos from off the dunny rooves and/or fences.

Does it seem odd that in those old days of outdoor dunnies, minimal plumbing, old phone books or newspaper instead of Sorbent, I don't recall anyone getting stomach bugs. Maybe that's what cruise ships need instead of those new fangled flushing things.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 9:31 PM, MicCanberra said:

At the bottom of the post box you have 'Submit Reply' on the right side and a 'Notify me of replies' on the left. Click this to off.

Yep - unfortunately this didn’t work, but I managed to find another way to finally get it to work! I had to go into a different setting. 

On 4/11/2019 at 6:22 PM, CupcakeSusie said:

iphone - I also wondered if I should get onto a laptop. Thankfully I’ve figured it out now. Huge relief!! 

Well done! This site does display slightly differently on a laptop. I'm not sure if it also differs between phone types though.

Firstly as you can see, the forum hierarchy has decided not to ban me so I am still here watching the idiots.

In conversing on this forum I have been aghast to find the sort of people I have inadvertently been verbally consorting with. 

As I found it difficult to find a place to put my informative lifeboat thread, because there isn't provision to do a thread about general, informative topics, I was forced to select the Australian and New Zealand section.

Having done this, two awful things became apparent and have stood out for me over everything else.

a] The idiots I am talking to on the forum are Australians who breathe the same air as I do when at home.

b] When I am on a cruise liner in transit on my latest cruise, there will be people on board like this.

Please be comfortable with the fact that my wife and I always sit at a table for two so we aren't overwhelmed by the intelligent conversations espoused at the tables for six or eight. Even if they aren't wearing the Bali attire of baseball caps and singlets at the table, your table will be free of us.

I lament the days gone by when cruising was for ladies and gentlemen and there were still rules of behavior.

Remember when men had to wear a coat to dinner and if anyone rolled up without one they had a rack of coats to lend at the doorway?

Today the holy dollar rules and the rabble are comfortably able to do what they like as none of the junior officers have been given the power from the company to do anything about dress standards.

Alas, I have watched it deteriorate on every cruise.