CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

33 minutes ago, inlinesick said:

Yes it was them, but they called the hotel to verify, i wanted to make sure! I guess we'll see!!

You should call the hotel manager yourself directly to verify and get it in writing (midday during the week).  This is a completely new offering.  Web site details are sketchy.  Instead of going through a third party, I would consider dealing with the hotel directly if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been answered a thousand times before, but as you can imagine this thread is a little daunting!

We’ll be staying at Embassy Suites on Intl Dr night before our cruise, driving up from the south. Looking at the spaghetti soup that is the NJ Turnpike N (!), I’m not sure of the best (read: least confusing) way to get to the port. Should we go north on the turnpike, or is it easier to go south and cut across the Staten Island Expwy?

I’m from NoVa, so do have some experience driving in urban areas! And our ship leaves on Saturday, so no rush hour to speak of. 

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, kardut said:

Sorry if this has been answered a thousand times before, but as you can imagine this thread is a little daunting!

We’ll be staying at Embassy Suites on Intl Dr night before our cruise, driving up from the south. Looking at the spaghetti soup that is the NJ Turnpike N (!), I’m not sure of the best (read: least confusing) way to get to the port. Should we go north on the turnpike, or is it easier to go south and cut across the Staten Island Expwy?

I’m from NoVa, so do have some experience driving in urban areas! And our ship leaves on Saturday, so no rush hour to speak of. 

Thanks!

Normal route from Embassy Suites at exit 13A would be to go north one exit to the Exit 14, 14A, 14B, 14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.  At the exit follow the signs to Chosin Few Way.  When it dead ends, make a left and follow the crowd out to the ship.

Morning traffic reports are on 880 and 1010 AM.  In case of an extraordinary event like a northbound turnpike closure, going through Staten Island would be an option, but has a hefty $15 toll.

Hi there.  We are looking to book rooms at the Best Western Plus in Newark. Arriving 3 days before our October cruise. We would pay the normal rate for the first two days and use their fly and cruise package for the night before the cruise. Has anyone done this? How about this hotel? Are there restaurant in the area?  Our plans are to go to Manhattan and use the HOHO for touring. We would appreciate any answers to all my questions! Thanks and Cheers!

16 minutes ago, Grammy J said:

Hi there.  We are looking to book rooms at the Best Western Plus in Newark. Arriving 3 days before our October cruise. We would pay the normal rate for the first two days and use their fly and cruise package for the night before the cruise. Has anyone done this? How about this hotel? Are there restaurant in the area?  Our plans are to go to Manhattan and use the HOHO for touring. We would appreciate any answers to all my questions! Thanks and Cheers!

If it were me, and it was me last January,  I would not stay in Newark for a few days. If you do, you need to go into NYC each day and back out at the end of each day. We chose to fly into Newark, take the train to Penn Station  (at Madison Square Gardens) then walk to our hotel at the Hampton Inn 35th street. We cannot say enough good about this hotel.  Location, amazing breakfast, linens, beds, staff and price were all fantastic! It is steps away from the subway though we walked most everywhere as it is so central. The morning of our cruise we took the PATH to Hoboken then took the light rail to the 8th street station in Bayone. There was a LYFT waiting as he said he tries to meet the train in case someone needs a ride. Someone else suggested getting a lyft from Hoboken. We stayed 3 nights in NYC before our cruise and packed a lot in.

1 hour ago, Grammy J said:

What exact dates do you need a room?  What would the Best Western cost including tax  for each of the 2 precruise nights and what is the cost of the fly cruise package night including tax?  Are you 2 people?

There are no restaurants close by.  On that side of the airport I think there are only restaurants in the nearby hotels.

I’m not a fan of this hotel’s location.  Even with a shuttle to Newark Penn Station it will take you 1+ hour to get into the city.

On a high level I’m thinking you might want to spend 2 nights in a hotel with better NYC transportation options and move to a park/cruise hotel for the last night.  You have to balance your time, money, and costs to see what options suit.

We are planning to arrive on October 7 for two nights at regular rates and on the 9th use fly and cruise. Some of us have limited ability to walk as far as Castlelassie posted. The price quoted was $522.00 total for all three nights. We need 4 rooms/8 people with lots of luggage (ugh)! What to you suggest Carol? Staying in New York isn’t an option for some of the group. A big thanks for the responses, none of us have ever been that far up the east coast. Cheers, Jan

Just an add on to the above. I checked with the group and they don’t want to change hotels during our stay. They want to go from the airport/hotel/pier. Once we get to New York, they want to do the HOHO. They want to do this as economically as possible 😬There has to be a solution 😁

Edited by Grammy J
Needed to add a line

33 minutes ago, Grammy J said:

Just an add on to the above. I checked with the group and they don’t want to change hotels during our stay. They want to go from the airport/hotel/pier. Once we get to New York, they want to do the HOHO. They want to do this as economically as possible 😬There has to be a solution 😁

I think you’ve found the best deal out there for your group of 8.  The hotel apparently offers a shuttle to Newark Penn Station.  Call the hotel to find out the details on that.  I have no feedback on that service.  Folks need to be prepared to wait for that shuttle coming back or pay for an Uber back to the hotel or pay the $13pp NJ Transit fare to go to Newark Airport Station, take the Airtrain to the P4 Station, and wait for the hotel shuttle there.  Are you aware that when you arrive at the airport you will have to take the airtrain to P4 to get the hotel shuttle?

Are any folks in your group 62+?  NJ Transit offers senior fares.  Do you have the train schedule?

Which hoho are you doing?  It sounds like you need a bus that has a boarding stop at Madison Square Garden, which is basically New York Penn Station. IMO you need some suggestions given the limitations of some of your group.  Are you doing lower Manhattan as well on a different day?  Directions for that are different.

Carol, I can’t thank you enough for all you valuable information. We booked the Best Western Plus for the eight of us. Even though it isn’t perfect, you are right, it seems to be the best option.  The P4 info was great. We are all well over the age of 62 🤫. We don’t know anything about the HOHO except what I gleaned from a couple of websites. Any help with that would be appreciated. We all would like to see all that Manhattan has to offer. Thanks also for the information about the Madison Square Garden stop.  We do not have the train schedule. Does it ever change? We have two full days to explore, excited about that! You are great and we would appreciate anymore information you can share. Cheers, Jan

Not quite sure on etiquette on a thread of this size so apologies if jumping in with a question isn't cool.

I wanted to know recommendations for transportation from Manhattan to Cape Liberty with a 3 year old in a carseat if you didn't want to bring a carseat with you. My understanding is Uber family won't go from New York to New Jersey. Not sure which car services provide a seat (willing to pay extra for it). We're spending a day before the cruise near Times Square and plan on taking Uber family from LGA to our hotel.

1 hour ago, lizzy911 said:

Not quite sure on etiquette on a thread of this size so apologies if jumping in with a question isn't cool.

I wanted to know recommendations for transportation from Manhattan to Cape Liberty with a 3 year old in a carseat if you didn't want to bring a carseat with you. My understanding is Uber family won't go from New York to New Jersey. Not sure which car services provide a seat (willing to pay extra for it). We're spending a day before the cruise near Times Square and plan on taking Uber family from LGA to our hotel.

You’re OK with Uber from LGA to Manhattan - trip is within New York City.  Ask Dial7 or Carmellimo if they can accommodate you with a car seat for a trip to Cape Liberty.

2 hours ago, Grammy J said:

Carol, I can’t thank you enough for all you valuable information. We booked the Best Western Plus for the eight of us. Even though it isn’t perfect, you are right, it seems to be the best option.  The P4 info was great. We are all well over the age of 62 🤫. We don’t know anything about the HOHO except what I gleaned from a couple of websites. Any help with that would be appreciated. We all would like to see all that Manhattan has to offer. Thanks also for the information about the Madison Square Garden stop.  We do not have the train schedule. Does it ever change? We have two full days to explore, excited about that! You are great and we would appreciate anymore information you can share. Cheers, Jan

I’m not a Hoho expert - hopefully others will post about your choices.  My best guess is that if you prepurchase and print your tickets close to your date, you will be able to board in the Madison Square Garden area.  If you’re doing a 2nd day of hoho downtown, you should be able to take PATH directly from Newark Penn Station to the World Trade Center and board in that area.  This would mean you don’t have to use the NYC subway unless you want to.

Here are the links you will need for public transit info, maps, and schedules:

https://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

Departing Station would be Newark Penn Station. Arrival station New York Penn Station - senior fare $2.45

Map - https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf -$2.75/pp

PATH - https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

http://www.panynj.gov/path/full-schedules.cfm

With 8 people be sure you leave enough time to figure out how to buy senior tickets on NJ transit and regular tickets on PATH from the ticket machines.  There is no senior fare on PATH without a special senior ID - I have one but it required a special application and a photo and took at least 2 months to get.

25 minutes ago, Grammy J said:

Thanks Carol, you have been a great help. I will definitely ask for your advice many more times, I’m sure, as the cruise draws near!

If you post back, it might be easier if you start another thread.  This thread is very large and inquiries can get stepped on and lost in the shuffle.

8 minutes ago, Grammy J said:

Good advice, but I wouldn’t know how to do that. I don’t want to lose my contact with you!  You have been beyond helpful for us that are new to the East coast. 

On the main East Coast Departures screen there is a blue button that says “Start New Topic”.  That will allow you to set up a new thread with your specific topic.  I would suggest something like “Picking a NYC Hoho bus” and then describe your group of 8 seniors, some of whom have mobility issues as well as the fact that you will be coming into midtown on the train and perhaps coming into downtown by PATH.  Look at the Hoho offerings first. I think the Big Bus and City Sightseeing are the biggest operators.  Look at their options and maps first to see what appeals.

48 minutes ago, 138east said:

On the main East Coast Departures screen there is a blue button that says “Start New Topic”.  That will allow you to set up a new thread with your specific topic.  I would suggest something like “Picking a NYC Hoho bus” and then describe your group of 8 seniors, some of whom have mobility issues as well as the fact that you will be coming into midtown on the train and perhaps coming into downtown by PATH.  Look at the Hoho offerings first. I think the Big Bus and City Sightseeing are the biggest operators.  Look at their options and maps first to see what appeals.

Also bear in mind that NYC has a lot of traffic so if you are traveling by bus, you will need to be patient and enjoy the ride rather than just wanting to get from place to place. 🙂

Sailing out of Cape Liberty in June and am wondering if there are any hotels in the Parsippany area  (or vicinity) that offer a park and cruise option (we don't need a shuttle to the port; there are 8 of us and I think it will be more cost effective to book travel through a private service).  I am asking because we're driving in from Western Pennsylvania the night before on 80, and the last time we did this we stayed in Parsippany and loved the location and the relative ease of getting there after a long day behind the wheel.

That last time, we drove from Parsippany to the port the next morning (Saturday). This time some factors have changed: we're sailing out on a Thursday, the port parking will be considerably more (longer cruise, higher fee), and my brother (the other driver) was pretty spooked by the drive to Cape Liberty last time. Hence, my question. I know there are hotels closer to the cruise port with expended parking options, however, thought I'd ask about a bit further out. Thanks.

1 minute ago, may_bartram said:

Sailing out of Cape Liberty in June and am wondering if there are any hotels in the Parsippany area  (or vicinity) that offer a park and cruise option (we don't need a shuttle to the port; there are 8 of us and I think it will be more cost effective to book travel through a private service).  I am asking because we're driving in from Western Pennsylvania the night before on 80, and the last time we did this we stayed in Parsippany and loved the location and the relative ease of getting there after a long day behind the wheel.

That last time, we drove from Parsippany to the port the next morning (Saturday). This time some factors have changed: we're sailing out on a Thursday, the port parking will be considerably more (longer cruise, higher fee), and my brother (the other driver) was pretty spooked by the drive to Cape Liberty last time. Hence, my question. I know there are hotels closer to the cruise port with expended parking options, however, thought I'd ask about a bit further out. Thanks.

Unfortunately the answer is no park and cruise options outside the Newark, Elizabeth, Carteret, Staten Island area.

Someone recently asked this question and the response was a definite no.

4 minutes ago, 138east said:

Unfortunately the answer is no park and cruise options outside the Newark, Elizabeth, Carteret, Staten Island area.

Someone recently asked this question and the response was a definite no.

Thanks, for that. Of those areas, which would you say is most easily accessible coming in from I-80 on a weekday evening? And any hotels you would recommend in general?  

1 minute ago, may_bartram said:

Thanks, for that. Of those areas, which would you say is most easily accessible coming in from I-80 on a weekday evening? And any hotels you would recommend in general?  

What is your sail date?  How many rooms do you need for 8 people?  Bed size requirements?  2 cars?