CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Thanks to all with all the contributions to this thread! We are thinking about ways to get to Cape Liberty from midtown Manhattan without having to take an expensive cab ride. I read on the cruise liberty .com website that there is a bus from the port authority that leaves you nearby on Kennedy Blvd. From there they say to call a taxi. That would leave one less step from taking the path and light rail.

This is from the cruise liberty.com site:

From the Port Authority Bus Terminal, take the 99S bus to Bayonne. The 99S bus travels along Kennedy Boulevard into Bayonne and stops on request every three blocks. When you reach 33rd Street and Kennedy Boulevard in Bayonne, you will be at the closest point on the bus route to the cruise port. Call one of the three Bayonne cab companies to drive you to the cruise port, which is about three miles east of Kennedy Boulevard.

Has anyone tried this ? If so how long did it take and would you recommend it?

Thanks for any input :)

Thanks to all with all the contributions to this thread! We are thinking about ways to get to Cape Liberty from midtown Manhattan without having to take an expensive cab ride. I read on the cruise liberty .com website that there is a bus from the port authority that leaves you nearby on Kennedy Blvd. From there they say to call a taxi. That would leave one less step from taking the path and light rail.

From the Port Authority Bus Terminal, take the 99S bus to Bayonne. The 99S bus travels along Kennedy Boulevard into Bayonne and stops on request every three blocks. When you reach 33rd Street and Kennedy Boulevard in Bayonne, you will be at the closest point on the bus route to the cruise port. Call one of the three Bayonne cab companies to drive you to the cruise port, which is about three miles east of Kennedy Boulevard.

That bus was discontinued, I'm so sorry. Now there's these small, white van/buses that troll Kennedy Blvd.

Save

What is the exact date you would be doing this? This date is really important because there are planned service interruptions from now until January. Where are you staying in Manhattan?

No one has posted for a long time about taking the bus. The bus number is 119. According to the NJ Transit schedule, it takes about hour trundling along local streets in Hoboken, Jersey City, and Bayonne, and there is no Sunday Service. These buses typically have no luggage storage other than overhead racks for carry ons. On a port day local taxis tend to be busy servicing the port, so you could wait for a while to be picked up.

PATH and the light rail are accessible trips with more ample room for luggage. The transfer point in Hoboken is a major train station for PATH, light rail, and commuter rail.

Bailey mouse and 138 east,

Wow, the website is really outdated with misinfomation:mad: I will email them to let them know.

We are staying near Times Square going on the Anthem on Saturday Oct. 29 and will just go by the Path and light rail. It sounds like the best way to go by public transportation. We travel light with just a carryon so will give it a try and report back.

Thanks for your replies, you have both saved me from a big headache! I knew something wasn't right when i tried to do a search and nothing came up!

Leosmom

Edited by Leosmom

Bailey mouse and 138 east,

Wow, the website is really outdated with misinfomation:mad: I will email them to let them know.

We are staying near Times Square going on the Anthem on Saturday Oct. 29 and will just go by the Path and light rail. It sounds like the best way to go by public transportation. We travel light with just a carryon so will give it a try and report back.

Thanks for your replies, Leosmom

Unfortunately that's not going to work. There is currently no weekend PATH service between 33rd St and Hoboken until 12/19/16. Where exactly are you staying? You can still do this journey by taking the subway to the World Trade Center area, PATH one stop to Exchange Place, and the light rail to Bayonne.

I just checked the Path website and yes, it only shows Saturday service from 33rd st. To journal square on Saturday. My husband is familiar with the subway system and we will get down to the world trade center to catch the Path train.

Thanks for the directions and heads up and all your help Carol :) 😃

I just checked the Path website and yes, it only shows Saturday service from 33rd st. To journal square on Saturday. My husband is familiar with the subway system and we will get down to the world trade center to catch the Path train.

Thanks for the directions and heads up and all your help Carol :)

The PATH website shows no service Sat from 12:10'am to Monday at 5 am between 33rd St and Hoboken. There is service between Hoboken and Journal Square, but that doesn't help. If you take the 8th Ave 'E' train to Chambers, you will have a flat albeit longish walk into PATH. I haven't been there for a while and I know they have been working on the area, so perhaps someone who has more current experience can comment.

Edited by 138east

Hi

We have booked Anthem of the seas 14th September 2017 we will be flying into Newark the day before from Belfast can you advise which hotel will be best to stay in. I Was looking at Embassy Suites, they seem to do a cruise package what hotel do you suggest and best for getting to cape Liberty then after cruise getting back to Newark airport I would appreciate your advice please. I no I am a bit early but like to be organised :D

Hi

We have booked Anthem of the seas 14th September 2017 we will be flying into Newark the day before from Belfast can you advise which hotel will be best to stay in. I Was looking at Embassy Suites, they seem to do a cruise package what hotel do you suggest and best for getting to cape Liberty then after cruise getting back to Newark airport I would appreciate your advice please. I no I am a bit early but like to be organised :D

What is your hotel budget? Two people? Shopping?

Budget would be £250 shopping would be good but no car so ideally nearby so we could walk for two people please

Look at Country Inns in Elizabeth. Airport shuttle, walking distance to Jersey Gardens, round trip port transportation, free breakfast for $275 tax included. Embassy Suites is fine too, but their cruise package includes parking, which you don't need. There will be other options, but it's too early.

Look at Country Inns in Elizabeth. Airport shuttle, walking distance to Jersey Gardens, round trip port transportation, free breakfast for $275 tax included. Embassy Suites is fine too, but their cruise package includes parking, which you don't need. There will be other options, but it's too early.

Carol thanks for your advice will take a look at Country Inns :)

Transportation from Cape Liberty to Doubletree in Jersey City - info/advice? We are staying on after our cruise on Celebrity Summit. We get off the ship on Sunday, September 4, 2016. Would a cab be our best bet? I saw numbers for 3 companies in earlier posts; call them or is there cab lines like in Vegas? I am hoping we can drop our luggage at hotel and then get to the sightseeing. Thanks. Louise

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by weezieweeks

Transportation from Cape Liberty to Doubletree in Jersey City - info/advice? We are staying on after our cruise on Celebrity Summit. We get off the ship on Sunday, September 4, 2016. Would a cab be our best bet? I saw numbers for 3 companies in earlier posts; call them or is there cab lines like in Vegas? I am hoping we can drop our luggage at hotel and then get to the sightseeing. Thanks. Louise

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Cape Liberty has a taxi dispatcher who will get you a cab. You cannot hail a cab at Cape Liberty - all the non prearranged livery transportation goes through the taxi dispatcher.

What are your sightseeing plans on Sunday? Are you aware there is currently no PATH service from the Doubletree (Newport station) to 33rd St on weekends due to track maintenance? You can still get to Manhattan, but you must take the Hoboken-World Trade Center train to Manhattan and take the subway to midtown Manhattan.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/full-schedules.cfm

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Please note that all of the lower Manhattan subway stations are physically much closer together than they appear on the above map, so you can pretty much get a train to wherever you want in midtown.

Cape Liberty has a taxi dispatcher who will get you a cab. You cannot hail a cab at Cape Liberty - all the non prearranged livery transportation goes through the taxi dispatcher.

What are your sightseeing plans on Sunday? Are you aware there is currently no PATH service from the Doubletree (Newport station) to 33rd St on weekends due to track maintenance? You can still get to Manhattan, but you must take the Hoboken-World Trade Center train to Manhattan and take the subway to midtown Manhattan.

Please note that all of the lower Manhattan subway stations are physically much closer together than they appear on the above map, so you can pretty much get a train to wherever you want in midtown.

Hey Carol! Just wanted to get your attention. On the Summit October16th repo board someone posted that the garage/lot is now automated so you can access your car anytime, any day, even off a repo. Do you know anything about this? I am going down there today to try to find out for sure if this is accurate. I would hate to have people show up driving on the 16th, and have them find out there is no where to leave their cars. Just trying to do my part as a cruise critic Bayonne resident.

Thanks for the info about the taxi dispatcher and the links!

In the last couple days that I was reading some of the posts on here, I became suspicious that the PATH would not be available. I see that the PATH schedule for Labor Day is Saturday schedule, so assume it will not be available on Monday, either.

We do not have a firm schedule for sightseeing; I will need to find out how far the train is from our hotel or if there are other options to get around.

We are hoping to see the 9/11 memorial, SOL, Ellis Island/museum and are open to other places, as well. An earlier post had detailed some routes to see a few things at once.

We are staying in JC until Thursday when we fly back to Vegas.

Edited by weezieweeks

In the last couple days that I was reading some of the posts on here, I became suspicious that the PATH would not be available. Do you know if it will also be closed on Monday, which is Labor Day?

We do not have a firm schedule for sightseeing; I will need to find out how far the train is from our hotel or if there are other options to get around. I am looking at NJ Transit website...I think I am seeing the Hoboken/WTC route that I am to take...

We are hoping to see the 9/11 memorial, SOL, Ellis Island/museum and are open to other places, as well. An earlier post had detailed some routes to see a few things at once.

In the last couple days that I was reading some of the posts on here, I became suspicious that the PATH would not be available. Do you know if it will also be closed on Monday, which is Labor Day?

We do not have a firm schedule for sightseeing; I will need to find out how far the train is from our hotel or if there are other options to get around. I am looking at NJ Transit website...I think I am seeing the Hoboken/WTC route that I am to take...

I went back to read the PATH website to read the fine print and it appears that holiday weekends are excluded.

During the following holidays, PATH will maintain regular weekend service to 33rd Street and Sixth Avenue PATH Stations:

Labor Day Weekend

Veterans Day Weekend

Thanksgiving Weekend

This means that you will be able to get to 33rd St from Newport, but it also means that you have to go to Grove St to transfer to the World Trade Center train. So for the weekend and holiday you might want to plan to do things in midtown and save the downtown things for the weekday when there is direct service from Newport to World Trade. IMO it's not a big deal - what's important is that you understand the available service on any given day.

Thanks so much! I did not see the exclusion, so appreciate that information!

Sorry to ask, but what is the difference between mid-town and downtown?

I am seeing some apps to put on my phone; any recommendations?

Louise

I went back to read the PATH website to read the fine print and it appears that holiday weekends are excluded.

During the following holidays, PATH will maintain regular weekend service to 33rd Street and Sixth Avenue PATH Stations:

Labor Day Weekend

Veterans Day Weekend

Thanksgiving Weekend

This means that you will be able to get to 33rd St from Newport, but it also means that you have to go to Grove St to transfer to the World Trade Center train. So for the weekend and holiday you might want to plan to do things in midtown and save the downtown things for the weekday when there is direct service from Newport to World Trade. IMO it's not a big deal - what's important is that you understand the available service on any given day.

Thanks so much! I did not see the exclusion, so appreciate that information!

Sorry to ask, but what is the difference between mid-town and downtown?

I am seeing some apps to put on my phone; any recommendations?

Louise

I missed the exclusion as well when I first looked, so don't feel bad. You asked a really good question.

I'm not good with the apps.

You need to study a map. Start with the subway map - http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf. If you look closely, the PATH train routes are blue dotted lines coming into Manhattan from NJ.

Midtown is generally between 34th St and 57th St and includes Times Square, Empire State, and Rockefeller Center among many other things. Downtown is generally below the Holland Tunnel and Canal Street and includes the World Trade Center, 911 Memorial, Wall Street, Statue of Liberty among other things.

I am good with maps and am researching the apps. I appreciate the clarification so I can map out our sightseeing. We generally are on the go during the day and then get dinner and our room faces NYC so plan to enjoy the view before sleeping.

I missed the exclusion as well when I first looked, so don't feel bad. You asked a really good question.

I'm not good with the apps.

You need to study a map. Start with the subway map - http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf. If you look closely, the PATH train routes are blue dotted lines coming into Manhattan from NJ.

Midtown is generally between 34th St and 57th St and includes Times Square, Empire State, and Rockefeller Center among many other things. Downtown is generally below the Holland Tunnel and Canal Street and includes the World Trade Center, 911 Memorial, Wall Street, Statue of Liberty among other things.

I have read several posts but didn't find answer although I'm sure it's been answered many times before.

There are 6 of us flying into EWR the day of our cruise and need to know what is the most timely way of getting to Cape Liberty ? We are hoping not to miss the ship! Thanks!