CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I'm on the March 5th sailing of the Anthem and am looking at transportation options back to Boston on Sunday, March 12th. Is it possible to make an Amtrak train that leaves from NY Penn Station at 10:00 am if I pre-arrange a car service? If so, what time should I reserve the car service for? Thanks.

I'm on the March 5th sailing of the Anthem and am looking at transportation options back to Boston on Sunday, March 12th. Is it possible to make an Amtrak train that leaves from NY Penn Station at 10:00 am if I pre-arrange a car service? If so, what time should I reserve the car service for? Thanks.

First of all you should consider taking the train from Newark instead of New York. It leaves earlier, but you are less likely to run into traffic issues between Cape Liberty and Newark on a Sunday morning.

I actually seriously considered taking the train back to Boston from the Anthem on Feb 19, but ultimately decided against it and decided to drive. Based on my experience with Cape Liberty I knew that I could make the train if the ship arrived on time and the weather was good, but I also knew that if the ship was delayed or there was a snow event, I would have problems. Last year I arrived back in snow, my train was cancelled, and by the time I arrived in Boston on the next train, it was too late to be able to safely make it to my house that evening.

I don't think anyone on this board is going to tell you it's just fine to book a train or plane before noon. If you're willing to risk it, my advice would be:

1) self disembarkation is a must - off the ship as soon as possible for a pickup no later than 8:30.

2) have your printed ticket in hand

3) investigate your Amtrak options re the ability to reschedule the train. Could you book the later train and change it to an earlier train the same day without penalty?

4) buy trip insurance that will cover a trip delay due to weather or late arrival.

My insurance allowed $150 for my trip delay, which covered my last minute Hotwire Boston hotel and food.

I've been reading through this thread forever and three days :D lol. I still haven't determined my best way to get from cape liberty to NYC after the cruise. I will be staying in NYC downtown for a few days after my cruise. I have every detail except this one. We will return to Cape Liberty on a Thursday. What's the best way to get there after disembarking. Thanks in advance.

I've been reading through this thread forever and three days :D lol. I still haven't determined my best way to get from cape liberty to NYC after the cruise. I will be staying in NYC downtown for a few days after my cruise. I have every detail except this one. We will return to Cape Liberty on a Thursday. What's the best way to get there after disembarking. Thanks in advance.

Where exactly is the hotel located? Usually the best way is a car service from port to your hotel. Dial 7 is one that many folks use. If you are on a tight budget there are ways using public transportation but with luggage it's cumbersome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where exactly is the hotel located? Usually the best way is a car service from port to your hotel. Dial 7 is one that many folks use. If you are on a tight budget there are ways using public transportation but with luggage it's cumbersome.

I'm staying at the Conrad New York downtown. It's always a little troublesome to get to but I've never tried to get there from New Jersey before.

I'm staying at the Conrad New York downtown. It's always a little troublesome to get to but I've never tried to get there from New Jersey before.

The Conrad is right by the World Trade Center. Car Service is always an option.

Public transit is also a very doable option if you can roll your luggage. The taxi dispatcher can put you in a shared shuttle to the light rail station, then light rail to Exchange Place ($2.25), and PATH to World Trade (2.75). Total cost $10-12. On a Thursday I recommend doing this after 9 am to avoid the rush hour.

First of all you should consider taking the train from Newark instead of New York. It leaves earlier, but you are less likely to run into traffic issues between Cape Liberty and Newark on a Sunday morning.

I actually seriously considered taking the train back to Boston from the Anthem on Feb 19, but ultimately decided against it and decided to drive. Based on my experience with Cape Liberty I knew that I could make the train if the ship arrived on time and the weather was good, but I also knew that if the ship was delayed or there was a snow event, I would have problems. Last year I arrived back in snow, my train was cancelled, and by the time I arrived in Boston on the next train, it was too late to be able to safely make it to my house that evening.

I don't think anyone on this board is going to tell you it's just fine to book a train or plane before noon. If you're willing to risk it, my advice would be:

1) self disembarkation is a must - off the ship as soon as possible for a pickup no later than 8:30.

2) have your printed ticket in hand

3) investigate your Amtrak options re the ability to reschedule the train. Could you book the later train and change it to an earlier train the same day without penalty?

4) buy trip insurance that will cover a trip delay due to weather or late arrival.

My insurance allowed $150 for my trip delay, which covered my last minute Hotwire Boston hotel and food.

Thanks for the advice Carol. I'm just exploring my transportation options and wanted to check if that was a possibility.

The Conrad is right by the World Trade Center. Car Service is always an option.

Public transit is also a very doable option if you can roll your luggage. The taxi dispatcher can put you in a shared shuttle to the light rail station, then light rail to Exchange Place ($2.25), and PATH to World Trade (2.75). Total cost $10-12. On a Thursday I recommend doing this after 9 am to avoid the rush hour.

Oh nice, thank you! I'm loving $10-12. :D The walk from the train wouldn't be to terrible, it's a little far with our bags. I was thinking of changing hotels to be closer to the train for convenience but I absolutely love the Conrad.

Oh nice, thank you! I'm loving $10-12. :D The walk from the train wouldn't be to terrible, it's a little far with our bags. I was thinking of changing hotels to be closer to the train for convenience but I absolutely love the Conrad.

If you can get yourselves out of World Trade with your bags, you can always pay a cab to circle around to your hotel. That can't possibly cost more than another $10!

If you can get yourselves out of World Trade with your bags, you can always pay a cab to circle around to your hotel. That can't possibly cost more than another $10!

You know what, I didnt think of that! That's true still way less than any other options, you are good!:D

Question for transportation

We are arriving this Thursday (9/29) at EWR 4:30 pm. We are staying at the Candlewood Suites in Jersey City. We will get a taxi to the hotel. The cruise is Sunday out of Cape Liberty. As suggested we were going to take the rail to 34th and get a taxi the rest of the way. Now, the weather calls for rain all weekend. Is public transportation still a good choice? Will out luggage be drenched? Are there covered areas at 34th? Sorry having a hard time relating to the weather contrast. It's going to be 98 today in California [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Question for transportation

We are arriving this Thursday (9/29) at EWR 4:30 pm. We are staying at the Candlewood Suites in Jersey City. We will get a taxi to the hotel. The cruise is Sunday out of Cape Liberty. As suggested we were going to take the rail to 34th and get a taxi the rest of the way. Now, the weather calls for rain all weekend. Is public transportation still a good choice? Will out luggage be drenched? Are there covered areas at 34th? Sorry having a hard time relating to the weather contrast. It's going to be 98 today in California [emoji12]

The light rail stations are on the street level and have covered areas. Here's a video of the ride to 34th St. Look at 34th street starting minute 28 -

At 34th street you can see the huge covered/enclosed overpass/walkway from the station over the tracks to the parking lot. You can use this for shelter from any rain. Ask your cab to pick you up in the parking lot by the exit door from the overpass. There are elevators to get up and down from the walkway.

The light rail stations are on the street level and have covered areas. Here's a video of the ride to 34th St. Look at 34th street starting minute 28 -

At 34th street you can see the huge covered/enclosed overpass/walkway from the station over the tracks to the parking lot. You can use this for shelter from any rain. Ask your cab to pick you up in the parking lot by the exit door from the overpass. There are elevators to get up and down from the walkway.

Thank you so much!!

• 2 weeks later...
Staying at Newark Hilton Penn Station. To get to Cape Liberty on a Saturday morning, do I have to call a taxi or are there some just "there?" Cannot decide between taxi or Carmel but from posts it doesn't seem to matter which.

If you don't want to prebook a car service, the hotel should be able to get you a taxi. It's right across the street from Newark Penn Station and there are always cabs around.

Pricing for Carmel from Hilton Penn Station to Cape Liberty was $79 plus tolls and tips.

I called Independent Driver and he quoted $60 which did include tolls but not tips. Does this sound correct? I did reserve it.

Independent Driver is a local NJ budget service operator. Their prices in NJ are generally cheaper than the NY-based companies such as Carmel and Dial 7.

$60 using Independent Driver from Hilton Penn Station to Cape Liberty sounds right.

Thank you! I really don't need a limo!

Independent Driver is a local NJ budget service operator. Their prices in NJ are generally cheaper than the NY-based companies such as Carmel and Dial 7.

$60 using Independent Driver from Hilton Penn Station to Cape Liberty sounds right.

i just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean. They said they offered service from EWR or Amtrak to Cape Liberty for $57 total round trip.

I forgot to ask which Amtrak station. Does anyone know which station and what time it picks up on embarkation day?

(I'm solo so hiring a car for 1 doesn't make cost sense)

Thank you

Edited by jeansaussie1

i just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean. They said they offered service from EWR or Amtrak to Cape Liberty for $57 total round trip.

I forgot to ask which Amtrak station. Does anyone know which station and what time it picks up on embarkation day?

(I'm solo so hiring a car for 1 doesn't make cost sense)

Thank you

The station is critical. My guess is that RCL is just offering transfers from Newark Airport Station because if you come into that station, you can take the Airtrain to any terminal to connect with the RCL transfers. This means that you have to be able to manage your luggage.

Don't know about the timing. Only RCL can answer that question. Just be sure that your return timing is good. I decided to do a park sleep in Feb because my Amtrak times were 9:40( too early fir comfort) or after 2 pm for the cheap $49 Northeast Corridor local train to Boston.

I'm not booked on RCs Anthem of the Seas until next year. I sailed on Liberty of the Seas a year ago right before Anthem took over the port.

At the time, no garage parking and check in at the port was getting in line to check in.

Can folks share differences we will see next year? Will we have to park in the garage? I remember the parking lot being a two min walk to the terminal. I'll be honest I don't even remember seeing the garage being built. I remember traffic and pulling into the terminal to drop off our bags and then parking our car.

Anything different? Oh and I think I read RC has staff with iPads? I'm assuming they will just be stationed in the terminal too?

Just want to know what is different now at this pier.

I'm not booked on RCs Anthem of the Seas until next year. I sailed on Liberty of the Seas a year ago right before Anthem took over the port.

At the time, no garage parking and check in at the port was getting in line to check in.

Can folks share differences we will see next year? Will we have to park in the garage? I remember the parking lot being a two min walk to the terminal. I'll be honest I don't even remember seeing the garage being built. I remember traffic and pulling into the terminal to drop off our bags and then parking our car.

Anything different? Oh and I think I read RC has staff with iPads? I'm assuming they will just be stationed in the terminal too?

Just want to know what is different now at this pier.

As you look at the new terminal the new parking garage is directly on the left next to the customs/immigration area that you would have passed through when you sailed the Liberty. It's just as close if not closer than the open parking lot which is used for overflow and oversized vehicles.

After you go through security they do use IPads to check you in. You use your Seapass printout as your Seapass card until the rooms are open so you can retrieve your actual Seapass card.

They are also apparently changing the way you pay for the parking. Apparently there are now machines where you pay for the parking at the end of the cruise like you might do at an airport's parking. We've had only a few reports on this new process. It works well in allieviating the backups getting into the garage, but one week the machines broke down, which impacted paying at the end of the cruise.