Reflection Luminae Construction Feb 7 2015

C 2 C

My first impression is MEH......it seems a bit bland.....anyone else feel the same?

Could someone point me to the renderings? I will be boarding the Reflection on the 28th of March.

Also, about that low ceiling...voices seem to carry when you are under them. That was our experience on the nights we ate on the outer sides of the Equinox last week. However, we dined in Blu on the Constellation and I do not remember having a problem with loud voices, so perhaps when the room is walled off, it's not bad. Also, that is one pretty venue! :) We liked it much better than the Solstice class Blu venue.

Edited by Iamthesea

Not sure how long you have been around these boards and reading various topics and posts made by commenters (such as Arno), but he is not someone to gloss over real issues or make a fuss over items that don't give merit to do so. Quite an even keeled cruiser, and someone who cruises with such frequency to know what is a trend or a fluke issue.

I would trust his, and others, first hand assessment while on the ship to your unfounded concerns.

Totally agree. Arno has been a huge asset to our community, and I always value and trust his insights. They are always fair and balanced. Thanks for posting !

I agree, and am holding off on all final judgements...

It reminds me of Blu on the Summit. If you are comparing the Reflection Blu to the Summit Blu I could understand the "a bit bland" comment. However, Summit Blu has the crystal lighting, white tablecloths, wine rack and the look of an elegant restaurant. I don't think anyone will be disappointed once it is completed. It's amazing how the extra finishing touches can transform a room.

Thanks for sharing pics and insights. I am excited for the new suite dining area and hope it lives up to expectations.

I do think that there needs to be some strategic planning in order to make this area a success. As we know, the ceilings are low and the lighting is dim. We should have some concern over sunlight/lighting bc we are not only eating here for dinner, but for breakfast and lunch too. From the draft pics that X has shared, it does not look like there is much room between tables, so that is a bummer. To me, it looks like a BLU set-up with banquettes and a ton of square tables for two. No round tables that I have seen...another bummer. As other posters have stated, I too, am more concerned about the food and service than the decor, BUT that low ceiling does bug me. On past cruises, we tend ask for a table near captains table in MDR so we have that open feeling while dining, so this will be a change to sit under that overhang.

I hope they keep the food simple and elegant. X tends to create menus that are more intricate then they have to be...for chefs that might not have the experience on how to execute properly. They tend to sound delicious and then when you get your plate, it's like, um ok, not what I expected. My main comment to X has always been that serving food hot is so important. If they can just get this piece right, they will go a long way. Can anyone confirm that the meal will be made to order? the last time we ate in MDR, I just told our waiter to put my food in microwave for 2 minutes on his way out of the kitchen. This seemed to work, but hot fresh food in suite dining room would be a treat!!

I am a foodie. Love all types of cuisines. I can get foie gras and truffles at any time. Meaning, if you can't to it right on the ship, don't do it. Keep it simple. Simple can be good! Looking forward to the new changes!!!

Well said.

We have read and been told it will be food made to order and have it's own kitchen. Only time will tell, less than 2 months.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Could someone point me to the renderings? I will be boarding the Reflection on the 28th of March.

Also, about that low ceiling...voices seem to carry when you are under them. That was our experience on the nights we ate on the outer sides of the Equinox last week. However, we dined in Blu on the Constellation and I do not remember having a problem with loud voices, so perhaps when the room is walled off, it's not bad. Also, that is one pretty venue! :) We liked it much better than the Solstice class Blu venue.

Iamthesea - I assume you are familiar with the search function here on Cruise Critic. When I type in the words "luminae" and "pictures", only two threads come up in the list, with this one being one of them.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2154271&highlight=luminae+pictures

Nine pages of nothing special other than the renderings, which are also available on the Celebrity website dining venues. Enjoy!

Already discovered that thread last night.

I did try the search function, but put in "Luminae and renderings", and also "Luminae and photos." That link did not come up. I then used my trusty Google search and found the thread.

I think the room is very pretty and sophisticated, though not as bright and inviting as Blu on the Millennium Class.;)

The room seems to appear very crowded on one side. I wonder how they will manage this...

With special touches like tableside preparation of signature dishes and the daily presentation of a new delectable gourmet chocolates and desserts cart,
Edited by Iamthesea

We went through immigration processing again this morning for our last back to back. The 30 Polish construction crew is still on board.

The only visible sign of progress is the decorations put on the white wall.

imagejpg1_zpsfacaf639.jpg

imagejpg2_zps01f13611.jpg

....and we just disembarked this morning - to say the construction is unobtrusive and a non-issue is an understatement. We ate lunch every day in MDR & never had a wait, or a crowding issue.

Many people refused to believe that they would not be affected despite reassurances.

Great experience as always..

I just got off the ship. When we were in the MDR for the Wine Tasting Seminar, we could hear banging but it quickly stopped when the workers saw our group. There were going back and forth carrying in materials to the new area.

What was noticeable on three days was the smell of solvents on Deck 3 by the Elevators/Passport Bar area. However, workers were real discrete.

The construction area is near the Ladies Bathroom on Deck 3.

I'm curious, does anyone know the status of the "suite only" Luminae dining special section on the Reflection? Is there construction going on, or is it finished? How much space does it take up on the mezzanine level of the main dining room? We're leaving in three weeks, on the Reflection, and would like to know the details of this special dining area.

Not sure I like the idea.

Construction is currently taking place and it will be nice from what I saw. It is located on Deck 3 on the Starboard side. Facing Opus, the left side is not accessible so you must enter by one of the other 3 entrances.

The new dining area takes up the far left side of the dining area about 2/3 of the way back. It goes out from the windows to the first set of stainless steel columns. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much. I had heard that Luminae will be on the 4th level (where we dine, as we have Celebrity Select Dining), but it looks like it is on the main level. I'd hate to look at various stages of construction as we are dining, but maybe it is done by now. I called Celebrity today, and they said the "first half" of Luminae is complete (Reflection), that suite passengers can dine there, and that the second half is under construction. This second half will extend into the galley, so they must be decreasing the size of the galley. Hope things go well on our cruise, we really liked Opus, and hope it is still elegant for non suite passengers.

Thanks very much. I had heard that Luminae will be on the 4th level (where we dine, as we have Celebrity Select Dining), but it looks like it is on the main level. I'd hate to look at various stages of construction as we are dining, but maybe it is done by now. I called Celebrity today, and they said the "first half" of Luminae is complete (Reflection), that suite passengers can dine there, and that the second half is under construction. This second half will extend into the galley, so they must be decreasing the size of the galley. Hope things go well on our cruise, we really liked Opus, and hope it is still elegant for non suite passengers.

If you have read the thread in it's entirety, the majority of comments indicate that there was a minimum of disruption that has mostly gone unnoticed. Depending on your sailing date, construction may be complete. And as all have said, no need to worry.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

I called Celebrity today, and they said the "first half" of Luminae is complete (Reflection), that suite passengers can dine there, and that the second half is under construction. This second half will extend into the galley, so they must be decreasing the size of the galley.

If the 1st half can be finished - and ready for passengers - in just 2 weeks, hopefully, the 2nd half can be finished in another 5... by the time I cruise. :)

From what I read in an earlier post, if Luminae is partially ready for Suite passengers to eat, the menu will be the same as the MDR menu until all phases are complete. ;) I'd really love to try the new menu on the 3/28 cruise.

Edited by Iamthesea

I called Celebrity today, and they said the "first half" of Luminae is complete (Reflection), that suite passengers can dine there, and that the second half is under construction. This second half will extend into the galley, so they must be decreasing the size of the galley. Hope things go well on our cruise, we really liked Opus, and hope it is still elegant for non suite passengers.

Sorry but Miami really is not the right source for information.

Many passengers have already reported back and have photo evidence to back up their statements.

The new Luminae is not being used as yet. Phase two of the project will involve moving some of the present galley elements for the exclusive use of Luminae.

I will try to post a picture before we leave on Saturday. I will ask the Restaurant manager about the unveiling which should take place next week.

Since work started on Equinox a week earlier, someone there might already have pics...

Sorry but Miami really is not the right source for information.

Many passengers have already reported back and have photo evidence to back up their statements.

The new Luminae is not being used as yet. Phase two of the project will involve moving some of the present galley elements for the exclusive use of Luminae.

I will try to post a picture before we leave on Saturday. I will ask the Restaurant manager about the unveiling which should take place next week.

Since work started on Equinox a week earlier, someone there might already have pics...

Arno,

Are you still dining in specialty restaurants every night? Thank you for all of your updates. Your information is priceless and so appreciated!

Steve

Arno,

Are you still dining in specialty restaurants every night? Thank you for all of your updates. Your information is priceless and so appreciated!

Steve

Hey Steve,

Just saw Arno's post about this subject on another thread. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45729335&postcount=46

Arno, thank you for the Luminae updates. Keep them coming! :)

Edited by Iamthesea

If the 1st half can be finished - and ready for passengers - in just 2 weeks, hopefully, the 2nd half can be finished in another 5... by the time I cruise. :)

From what I read in an earlier post, if Luminae is partially ready for Suite passengers to eat, the menu will be the same as the MDR menu until all phases are complete. ;) I'd really love to try the new menu on the 3/28 cruise.

Looks like you are in the dead zone. Too late to get free unlimited specialty dining and too early to get the new menus. Unlimited specialty dining would be AMAZING.

Ah...maybe they will still be throwing in a free SR meal while they get the kinks worked out with the seating. ;) Either way, we still get one free meal for being in a Suite. I have already planned to eat at least two nights in SR's. Plus, there is always Blu.

Steve - Our next planned cruises are: :)

Celebrity Reflection – Girls Trip to the Caribbean - Mar 28, 2015

Celebrity Eclipse – England, Spain & Canary Islands - Oct 21, 2015

Celebrity Solstice – Australia and New Zealand - Feb 02, 2016

Celebrity Silhouette - British Isles - May 26, 2016

Celebrity Millennium - Southeast Asia Immersion - Feb 25, 2017

Edited by Iamthesea

Unlimited specialty dining would be AMAZING.

It us but you can only get late evening slots so you still have to mix and match with either Blu or MDR if there is no availability.

We dinned in Tuscan this evening and the place wa less than a third full. Il oads of empty tables towards the back- think that it is a lack of staff issue rather than a lack of room. I do wonder what they did with all the staff who looked after where the new suite restaurant is being built.

If they we mover to speciality rests it would make more times available.

I have heard some grumbles about regular guests not being able to get times in specialities.