Royal Suite Advice

bossy_01

Understand that, once you have tried a suite, you will never want anything else

Sooo true. On our first Celebrity cruise we were upgraded for some reason I never understood to a Royal Suite. And that's where we are stuck (except for Australia where they were all gone so my wife agreed to "slum it" in a Celebrity suite).

Clever marketing ploy? I don't know. Cost me a fortune ever since? Yes. Worth it? Maybe now the new suite perks are becoming available.

Edited by Balloon Man

Sooo true. On our first Celebrity cruise we were upgraded for some reason I never understood to a Royal Suite. And that's where we are stuck (except for Australia where they were all gone so my wife agreed to "slum it" in a Celebrity suite).

Clever marketing ploy? I don't know. Cost me a fortune ever since? Yes. Worth it? Maybe now the new suite perks are becoming available.

We have never been upgraded but treated ourselves to a PH on Eclipse for our 40th wedding anniversary. So although we keep telling ourselves that a Royal Suite is perfectly "adequate" for our "needs" we find that we only managed to book PHs;)

The truly shameful thing to admit to is that, on our latest cruise, we got the chance to look round a RS and CS on Eclipse [we had only previously been in those suites on M-class ships] and just thought how "small" they looked. It truly is great marketing by Celebrity to upgrade people occasionally.

Thanks for all the advice, for the moment I have taken the plunge and booked the penthouse - I want this to be a very special surprise, a moment of madness if you like that one will not be able to justify to repeat. We also get a chauffeur car to and from Southampton which should be nice and further add to surprise and specialness - it will be a shame it is only two nights...but should be awesome experience, now just to make the most of it!

Thanks for all the advice, for the moment I have taken the plunge and booked the penthouse - I want this to be a very special surprise, a moment of madness if you like that one will not be able to justify to repeat. We also get a chauffeur car to and from Southampton which should be nice and further add to surprise and specialness - it will be a shame it is only two nights...but should be awesome experience, now just to make the most of it!

While I know taking the Penthouse is a splurge, I truthfully believe it is money well spent. The Royal Suite is very nice, but I have to tell you, the Penthouse is in it's own category. Even on a 2 night cruise, your butler will give you his top priority in making your cruise memorable. I wish you both a wonderful cruise which I know will be absolutely memorable and special.

If you plan to spend most of your time in the room, it might be worth it. The veranda is enormous and has a little jacuzzi (for one person; two if you're both petite and very good friends), which the SS does not. The main bath is almost the size of an inside cabin and has a separate shower and large jacuzzi tub. There was your standard mini-fridge and large bottles of Absolut and Dewar's(?), but no full bar. If those things are important to you, then by all means, indulge yourself.

Having been in both, I would personally choose to keep the Sky Suite and save the money. While we absolutely loved the RS, the SS was big enough and came with the same perks. I sincerely doubt that I'd fully enjoy all the space in the RS on a 2-day sailing enough to make it worth the extra expense, but that's just for my personal taste.

I don't know how full your sailing will be, but if you pick the SS and a larger suite is open, there's a possibility you could be upgraded.

I have some photos of the RS (on Equinox) and smaller SS (on Eclipse) in the galleries linked in my signature if you wish.

Matt, Great RS photos on Equinox.

thx.

OP, Enjoy the PH.

Edited by EvelynAlexa