port compass

mimi1

Has anyone ever toured with a tour company called Port Compass? We heard about them in South America, but haven't tried them. They do tours in the Baltic but I wanted some feed back before I booked anything. Thanks, Yvon

Hi,

We used Portcompass in S.A. in February. They did a very good job there. We had a small group doing tours in most of the ports and everyone seemed pleased with them. I didn't realize they were doing Baltics tours also. We did the Baltics last August on the Regatta and used Red October for the two days in St. Petersburg. They were great. We haven't taken any cruise tours in over five years. We usually do it ourselves with private guides, buses or taxis. If you want, I will look over their website and report back what sounds great. By the way, get Rick Steve's book on Scandanavia. He has a port by port detailed "best bets" list with lots of good info. He has also reviewed and written other books for European countries.

Thanks, I would appreciate that....I will try to find Rick Steves book too. we are really looking forward to this trip...we are going back to back with the transatlantic crossing so it will be our longest cruise ever.

Yvon

Hi Yvon!

I did not know you would be with us on the transatlantic too - that's great!

We have never tried Portcompass - but they do look interesting.

We will do most of the Baltic ports with local transportation & by foot. We'll use Red October for St. Petersburg, as you know. In Gdansk we were going to take the Princess Gdansk on Your Own. After reading what I could find about this port, we decided to take the shore excursion they offer for Malbork Castle and Gdansk. Being "one of the crowd" is not our favorite way to see a port, but we just felt better about doing this one with Princess, We are not big shoppers and did not want 5+ hours on our own in Gdansk.

Julie

Deuteronomy 4:29

<')))><

Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

Julie - Gdansk is the one port we also decided to go with Princess. After reading the posts it looked like it was easier to go with a ship's tour than to do it on our own. Besides, all of the shore excursions are very reasonable for this particular port. We are doing the city and amber tour.

I agree mek - Princess did price their shore excursions more reasonably for Gdynia/Gdansk. I wonder how they determine what they will charge??? Just can't believe what they want for the transfer to Stockholm from Nynashamn.

We're ready to start packing, but the calendar still has too many days to tear off.

Julie

Deuteronomy 4:29

<')))><

Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

• 3 months later...

Archived