Gratuities going up...minimally

HoopTroop

To clarify the increase thread, I spoke with a Norwegian representative on 2/11/2015 @7:30pm CST and was told the following: If the cruise is already booked with a down payment, the current daily services charges are locked in. Any cruise booked AFTER February 28, 2015 will have the charges increased to the new levels. Hope this answers the questions.

So book now for the lower gratuity rate.

Edited by egh170

My, my, my . . . This certainly is one interesting thread. :)

All month long, NCL is letting your Friends & Family Sail Free :D

NCL is also offering

• Free On Board Credit
  • Free Ultimate Dining Plan
  • Free Ultimate Beverage Plan

…and, depending on the booking, allowing the guest the opportunity to choose one, two, or all three items! :D

And we’re all sitting here pontificating over 95 cents.

95 freaking cents. :mad:

And people have the nerve to accuse the cruise line of nickel and diming. :rolleyes:

I have no issue with the 95 cents. My post was intended to communicate the details. And I must say, I a surprised by the differential suite tips and the description of the reasoning. To me, this means that extra tips for butler and concierge are not expected and I think this will hurt their take home tips. Yes, of course, you can tip extra and we often do for the room steward, but the wording makes me think that most people will now awesome everyone if covered by the new $14.95 a day.

I do not have a link, for those that asked. I copied it from an email I received today.

To clarify the increase thread, I spoke with a Norwegian representative on 2/11/2015 @7:30pm CST and was told the following: If the cruise is already booked with a down payment, the current daily services charges are locked in. Any cruise booked AFTER February 28, 2015 will have the charges increased to the new levels. Hope this answers the questions.

The problem is that NCL reps never know what the real deal is. Ever.

But thanks for posting :)

I booked my cruise for 2017, a suite.

It has everything listed out, cruise fare, insurance, and DSC

That charged is listed as $12l.p.

So it my contract going to change after March 1st?

ETA

Thank you love my mo

Edited by RYMOMA

In my case since I have booked already as well as prepaid I saved a total of $22.80 ...:rolleyes:

Seriously the price increase by any measurement is tiny compared to what we paid for our cruise regardless the location ...

They gave me the UDP and OBC for nothing so I think I could afford to pay the tiny increase should it have come to that....

Edited by warriorking

According to the NCL letter, even if you have booked before March 1 you will have to pay the higher amount unless you prepay at lower rate before Feb 28. There is nothing that says service charges are locked in.

My, my, my . . . All month long, NCL is letting your Friends & Family Sail Free :D NCL is also offering

• Free On Board Credit
  • Free Ultimate Dining Plan
  • Free Ultimate Beverage Plan

…and, depending on the booking, allowing the guest the opportunity to choose one, two, or all three items! :D And we’re all sitting here pontificating over 95 cents. 95 freaking cents. :mad:

And people have the nerve to accuse the cruise line of nickel and diming. :rolleyes:

Spot On - I can only speak for us, simply speechless. What mindset :confused: - maybe still dreaming free lobster tails for lunch to go with all those unlimited ... , I'm guessing. :rolleyes:

We typically pay the suggested amount - and, depending on the services above & beyond, especially our stateroom & dining crew - varied our extra "tips" on top. Obviously, some feel strongly otherwise.

Edited by mking8288

Except that's not at all what the direct communication from NCL says:

"Guests who have previously booked a cruise and are sailing after March 1, 2015, or who are planning to book a cruise now through February 28, 2015, can choose to pre–pay their service charges at the current rate by February 28, 2015. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre–paid their service charges at the current rate will not be affected."

This says to me that unless you pre-pay your gratuities by Feb. 28th, all cruises on or after March 1st will move to the higher gratuity charges

I have no issue with the 95 cents. My post was intended to communicate the details. And I must say, I a surprised by the differential suite tips and the description of the reasoning. To me, this means that extra tips for butler and concierge are not expected and I think this will hurt their take home tips. Yes, of course, you can tip extra and we often do for the room steward, but the wording makes me think that most people will now awesome everyone if covered by the new $14.95 a day.

I do not have a link, for those that asked. I copied it from an email I received today.

I agree. People may assume that the increase for suites now includes tips for the butler and concierge and not add anything beyond the extra $2. I hope NCL makes it clear just what the expectation is. This increase is a fraction of what we usually tip anyway so the increase isn't really an issue for us. I just wonder if it will have a negative impact on the staff's extra tips.

Think of it this way.....hopefully the hard working staff see a tiny pay increase. I have no problem with that.

Personally I wish the cruise lines would automatically add these fees hidden in the total cruise fare. I still tip cash but like to leave without an endless list of add ons.

I think its cool that NCL is allowing current booked cruises to pre-pay at the current rate. So really no one is paying any additional money. If you are currently booked and don't pre-pay then you will pay the new rate after March 1, 2015.

Am I correct? If so, this is the best of both worlds for NCL and the currently booked passenger if they want to save a few bucks.

Does anyone know if pre-paid services charges are refundable if I cancel the cruise?

I had the same question. I was pretty sure they would be. Glad to see others have answered this above (I was going to email my PCC in the morning). Just for good measure, this is from NCL's FAQs:

What's the service charge?

Why would I prepay my service charges? The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable? Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable. ...

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Thanks to the OP for this thread.

It is very likely that the higher charge for suites is due to many factors.

The size of the suite cabin is substantially larger than average, some with multiple rooms and more than one washroom. The number of cabins that a steward services would be less in these areas. (If the average steward had to service 15 cabins -- this would be a too many for a steward in the suite areas, therefore more employees dipping into the DSC).

In addition there are numerous other employees who are dedicated workers to the upper cabin categories, such as the the Haven restaurant, bar and courtyard staff, cleaning crew etc for these areas. These employees are exclusive to the suites and hence compensation for their services need to come from the guests accommodating these cabins.

This increase has nothing at all to do with the concierge and the butler. There has been no indication whatsoever that there has been any change in the way these employees are compensated.

Rochelle

Just received a response from my PCC when I questioned if the $2.00 extra for suites included the butler and concierge and if it did I was surprised how little it was - A portion of her response reads:

"Yes they are now included. I can't agree more.... it should defiantly be more"

Norwegian Cruise Line is adjusting its daily service charges, effective for all sailings that begin on March 1, 2015. The new rates are:

$12.95 per guest per day for any category up to a Mini-Suite stateroom.

$14.95 per guest per day for any suite category.

Guests who have previously booked a cruise and are sailing after March 1, 2015, or who are planning to book a cruise now through February 28, 2015, can choose to pre–pay their service charges at the current rate by February 28, 2015. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre–paid their service charges at the current rate will not be affected.

Norwegian’s daily service charges, which were last adjusted in 2009, make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind–the–scenes support staff. Guests who are sailing in Suite categories also receive the services of a concierge, butler and dedicated wait staff.

Thank you for your continued support,

Norwegian Cruise Line

Interesting. Last week we prepaid our DSC for an April cruise so were only charged the current $12 per day.

Edited by NMLady

Interesting. Last week we prepaid our DSC for an April cruise and were only charged the current $12 per day.

Read it again...

Guests who have previously booked a cruise and are sailing after March 1, 2015, or who are planning to book a cruise now through February 28, 2015, can choose to pre–pay their service charges at the current rate by February 28, 2015.

Except that's not at all what the direct communication from NCL says:

"Guests who have previously booked a cruise and are sailing after March 1, 2015, or who are planning to book a cruise now through February 28, 2015, can choose to pre–pay their service charges at the current rate by February 28, 2015. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre–paid their service charges at the current rate will not be affected."

This says to me that unless you pre-pay your gratuities by Feb. 28th, all cruises on or after March 1st will move to the higher gratuity charges

Not trying to be a smart-ass but I once worked for NCL and I do know who to call. What I posted I stand by.