"Dancing of the Ships" Speculation

cruisexlife

Asked my PVP yesterday about cruises out of Port Canaveral in Sept of 2016. In particular, the Sunshine. He said he didn't see any cruises from there, but said the Sunshine had cruises from NYC doing the northeast itinerary.

I don't normally speculate on these matters but have no reason to question the accuracy of the info he gave me. Just saying.

that actually kinda makes sense... if magic is going to port canaveral, as jim berra said to cruise radio, then why can't sunshine be relocated and have magic take its place. and since it's a seasonal run, that would put sunshine in miami for the other half of the year, a port which they stress is one of their most important (along with galveston) as per the recent press release... interesting development...

Yeah but Sunshine has that huge outside Serenity area. How much can you enjoy that space going to Canada? I'm asking. I've never cruised North. Also how often is Splendor ' s cover on the aft pool used? Everything is open on the Sunshine.

that's the thing... in the past i would have based what ship i expected to be out of new york on the covered pools, etc., but now it's a seasonal itinerary anyway! splendor runs from mid may to mid october, with the last sailing going to the bahamas. it's still warm enough in the northeast during september, sometimes downright hot... splendor's dome is over the midship pool, btw, aft is open air.

and keep in mind that all of splendor's sailing aren't to canada - it's split between 4, 5 and 7 day canada / new england, 5 and 8 day bahamas, 8 day eastern caribbean, and one way 8 day eastern caribbean to san juan and back... i think it's plausible.

comments from CC live chat with arnold donald:

From lettienets: Will Carnival port a new ship year round in NY eventually to compete with NCL in NY and RCCL in Bayonne?

falkcor

please share insight regarding carnival's strategy regarding deployment of ships to new york. carnival splendor has been reduced to seasonal sailings, while competitors have maintained year-round sailings, and deployed some of their newest and 'best' ships, such as the NCL breakaway and RCCL quantum / anthem of the seas. why does carnival find this market challenging, and what are the plans for the future? will carnival deploy a ship 'more exciting' or modern than the splendo

1:47 PM

falkcor

with carnival magic deploying to port canaveral, per jim berra in an interview with cruise radio, will sunshine deploy to new york?

1:48 PM

Arnold Donald

Our nine brands offer very distinct experiences. We don’t consider ourselves generally competing with NCL or RCCL. Having said that, Carnival Splendor operates out of New York on a seasonal basis with a great variety of itineraries. Our Cunard brand frequently sails in and out of New York on its trans-Atlantic crossings. And a several of our other brands have Eastern Seaboard/Canadian itineraries. The Carnival brand will soon be opening its 2016 New York program, so stay tuned for that announce

1:51 PM

Arnold Donald

The Carnival brand will soon be opening its 2016 New York program, so stay tuned for that announcement. Also, the new Carnival Vista will be offering cruises from New York in fall 2016. All of our brands are continuously evaluating itinerary options, including homeporting in New York.

1:52 PM

falkcor

is it to be inferred then, that there will be 'news' regarding the carnival brand's 'new york program'? because i infer that from your statement, and that of john heald yesterday on facebook. please let us know if we are to expect 'news' or just that splendor is returning. and if it is, can it be assumed it will with 2.0 as it's nearing it's 5 year drydock.

1:56 PM

he hasn't responded to my last question :(

http://live.cruisecritic.com/Event/Cruise_Critic_Live_Meet_Carnival_Corp_President_Arnold_Donald

Edited by falkcor

Bunch of double talk and yim yammering around. Just say it already. As a rather impatient person, I find all of waiting very annoying. lol.

i agree entirely :)

i think when i asked those questions, he did this:

29ece189-ebea-4c14-8db0-a541e2b4b9cf_500.jpg

(it was at the same time lol)

Thanks Falkcor for asking those questions, wish we had more time to have him answer questions.

you're welcome, and agreed :(

i wish it had been a little more structured, as it seemed they weren't pushing through substantive questions worthy of the time of mr. donald, frankly... seems it could have been much more productive.

Not even going to hold my hopes up. They just make us wait and wait and no good news. This announcement will probably just be about where the Magic will go (most likely to Port Canaveral to compete with RCL's Oasis of the Seas). Probably nothing major. Everything else had been announced. The biggest change was the Breeze and Liberty going to Texas. Let's see what happens during this next dance move

Not even going to hold my hopes up. They just make us wait and wait and no good news. This announcement will probably just be about where the Magic will go (most likely to Port Canaveral to compete with RCL's Oasis of the Seas). Probably nothing major. Everything else had been announced. The biggest change was the Breeze and Liberty going to Texas. Let's see what happens during this next dance move

How can Magic compete with Oasis:confused:

How can Magic compete with Oasis:confused:

Oasis will be in PC. Carnival currently doesn't have a Dream class ship there right now. So in order to try to win over some customers, they will send the Magic to PC to try and attract some customers to sail with them on a pretty nice and decent ship, the Magic. Because Breeze will be in Galveston, Vista in Miami, and Dream in NOLA.

Edited by Alexv500

My PVP told me this.

Victory to San Juan

Fascination to Miami

Magic to Port Canaveral

Sunshine to Charleston

Fantasy retires.

We will have to wait and see if this is true!

Carnival already announced Fascination to San Juan......so already not true

So is she going to Charleston or NY? What happens with the splendor? Maybe more time in Norfolk?

I hope SOME ship ends up seasonally in Norfolk beyond the usual small number of sailings in May & October.

Sunshine would be my top choice. We probably aren't big enough to get a newer, larger ship. But Sunshine would fit well here!

Edited by EdmundXXIII