Drinks at Heathrow or Dover

klo

Does anyone know when we deplane at Heathrow, if we are able to go through duty free shops to buy soft drinks or wine before heading to the bus to Dover? If not, is there are place at Dover? Our ship leaves around 5:00 so I was hoping to pick up a few sodas beforehand.

Also, can we charge these items or do I have to get Pounds or Euros? Thanks.

When you arrive at Heathrow, you cannot help but be ushered through an arrivals "duty free" shop. This is immediately after Customs, but before you reach the meet-and-greet area. I wouldn't worry about failing to notice it - that's close to physically impossible.

Here you will be able to buy as much of the "duty free" goods as you like, including the alcoholic drinks on offer, because the reality is that it is actually a tax-paid and duty-paid shop whose prices are deliberately set at the same level as those charged in the departures duty-free shop. So within the relatively limited selection of goods available, there are often some reasonable buys to be had. (My personal favourite offer - a regular one - is some [I]grande marque[/I] champagne or other at £25 for 2 bottles, which I buy several dozen at a time when I have the car at the airport.)

This shop will take credit cards, no problem. But I doubt it sells soft drinks - I certainly don't remember that.

If you want soft drinks, you might want to try the newsagents that are in the arrivals hall after you have exited the Customs area and arrivals "duty free" shop and run the gamut of the hordes of meeters-and-greeters waiting with placards. Again, they will take credit cards - they're used to many people having a problem when they've just arrived and have no money on them - but they'll obviously do so more cheerfully if you buy more from them.

Make sure you don't lose sight of whatever meet-and-greet arrangements are also being made for you as you exit into the arrivals hall - and it's probably a good idea to let your minders know that you've gone shopping if you then do that.

Archived