Odd but great items to take with you

Ksimpson76

After dragging my sick self through the streets of Curacao trying to find cold medicine, I will never again forget to pack OTC meds.

I agree. I would rather pack some OTC meds and not need it, than need it and not have it. Ship prices for some of these items are ridiculous and I wouldn't want to spend a port day looking for relief!

This thread has some great ideas.

Happy cruising everyone!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Those of you who bring power strips, be aware that they are now on the banned list for RCCL. I had my bag sent to the naughty room on my last trip because I had a power strip in it.

Do you know if this applies to all outlet adapters, or just the big power strips with cords? - Never mind. I just found it. It says "no extension cords." I would instead use an adapter like this: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector-Charging/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1423938589&sr=8-7&keywords=outlet

Edited by payitforward

It's just a fun list :D. I like posts that aren't so serious... Plus I already got a good idea or two! Not sure, in port, where I would find a little battery tea light for the bathroom! Great idea! I have hit my foot countless times trying to step up into the bathroom in the dark!

Battery operated lights are available at Bed Bath and Beyond (probably Target, Walmart, Dollar Stores too). I like the kind that are meant to go in a closet - kind of like a small, round globe; you just press them and they come on. Meant for places where there is no light. You can leave on all night in the bathroom. A small flashlight works well too.

Lots of good hints.

Likely the most important (for us) is a small zip lock bag of OTC meds and a few days extra of Rx meds. We take our small supply on both land and sea trips.

We recently found a blow up swim noodle. It is the size of a pool noodle when inflated , but not inflated is very small. It is easy to inflate/deflate

We bring chair clips for loungers and the magnetic clamps for hanging papers on the wall.

Oh, a pen and paper or post it notes. RCCL no longer provides pen/paper in the cabin. We usually just pick it up from the pre-cruise hotel. Even the inexpensive chain hotels provides pen and paper.

We don't bother with some of the things other folks bring. Too much for us, but if it makes their trip more enjoyable, good for them.

Enjoy

M

Do you know if this applies to all outlet adapters, or just the big power strips with cords? - Never mind. I just found it. It says "no extension cords." I would instead use an adapter like this: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector-Charging/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1423938589&sr=8-7&keywords=outlet

With 4 iDevices between DH and myself, this came in quite handy. I pulled it out when we left the cabin. There are two versions.. I bought the 2.1 AMP version because it supports an iPad in the charging port. The other, the 1 AMP version, will not.

I bring most of the items listed in this thread (need to add air freshener for the bathroom and OTC meds). I also take a small clothesline with suction cups on each end to hang hand-washed items that I don't want to send to the ship's laundry. And if you pack carefully, none of these things take up much room at all so still plenty of room for clothes!

Edited by impatientlywaiting

With 4 iDevices between DH and myself, this came in quite handy. I pulled it out when we left the cabin. There are two versions.. I bought the 2.1 AMP version because it supports an iPad in the charging port. The other, the 1 AMP version, will not.

I have the 2.1 amp also .. my best friend

If we're doing a seasonal cruise, we buy large refrigerator magnets at the Dollar Store for door decorations. Kids just love them! I just googled eBay and see that some Dollar Stores have St. Patricks Day. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Magnetic-St-Patricks-Day-Refrigerator-Dishwasher-Locker-Decoration-Varie/141228497003?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29170%26meid%3D86ef6b0b0715413083220576f8990f39%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D201278852469&rt=nc

In the past, I've only seen Valentines and Christmas. (And, no this isn't my listing, and no, I am not hawking my own wares ... ) We also take "push lights." We've found the best ones in a 3-pak at Target. Add me to the list of those enjoying these lighthearted posts.

I was originally going to get a 2.1A Belkin as well but then I read this post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45273160&postcount=17

and poncho1973 (although a Bengals fan) made a great case. I'm using this now at home as well so it benefits you for more than just travel.

Then I went an bought the Belkin 1A in case I need extra electrical outlets for things that don't do USB. The 1A is like 1/2 as much as the 2.1A.

Your mileage may vary but at least read that that post. :)

-an extra watch (as one cruise my watch battery died and I could not get a new battery on the ship and in some ports)

--tiny pocketbook that has shoulder strap (so I can carry around seapass, a few tissues, small Purell etc)

-plastic clothespins

-Bacitracin and a few bandaids

--travel sewing kit with scissors

--travel size Lysol spray

--wet wipes for hands (for beach, bathrooms in port)

-tiny flashlight

-container of liquid hand soap

-large bar of soap for shower (don't like cruise brand and small size)

-the free disposable slippers they give you at fancy hotels (throw them out--less to pack coming home)

--travel nail polish remover pads

-emery board

--pens/small pad and a couple of elastic bands

-A few different sizes of Ziplock bags

-- travel size eyeglass repair kit

Some very good ideas / suggestions and a lot I bring to!

I agree with the posters about bringing your own OTC items (small cough syrup, antihistimines, anti-itch cream, Tylenol/Bayer, etc, Pepto-Bismal (pills or liquid), band-aids, etc. One it does cost time and money to get them in port before hand or in port while you are traveling. Why waste precious time?

I pack a few sheets of bubble-wrap for anything I pick-up in port or on-board that could use a bit more packing support. Doesn't take up a lot of room (the little bubbles, not the big ones).

To the poster that mentioned the blister-band-aids ---- oh I can identify with that poor woman. I developed a blister on one cruise and kept thinking 'why or why did I not toss some in my bag' - haven't forgotten them since.

So this will be my 4th cruise overall, first on Oasis, but I always hear about interesting items people bring with them on cruises to help out. Do you bring anything that really helps out on the cruise that maybe no one else might think of???

Lots of great ideas on this thread and we have brought many of the items. I also bring a travel retractable clothes line with suction cups on the end to stick in the shower. We hang our wet bathing suits after rinsing. I also bring travel size Woolite that comes in individual packets. Great for rinsing out the suits or anything else that needs a quick rinse. Also bring a travel size bottle of Grandma's Secret Wrinkle Remover. It works great for getting out the wrinkles. I bring a small pad of post it notes, a mini flashlight, magnets, highlighter, and have used all of them.

An anytime I am in a foreign country I always, always take pepto and Imodium. For those unfortunate times you DO need it, the last thing you want to be doing is trying to go shop to shop in a foreign city saying diarrhea! (And not knowing where the nearest bathroom is!) once you experience that, you learn and never forget!

This is a bit different than the other have tos: We take copies of our passports, and keep them in the safe. We also have a copy on our phones. We also take copies of medications.

Some of that is probably deemed what we all do, but don't think about it. I leave a copy of my passport with my cat-sitter (who is family). I don't take a copy with me. I do take copies of my medications and my eye-prescriptions.

No Royal Caribbean ships have self-serve laundry

The dryer sheets are not for laundry - they are for chasing away possible bed bugs. Carnival Cruise Line had real issues with bed bugs a while back....not saying RCI does but you don't know who the previous inhabitant in your cabin was.

Most cabins that have a bathrub also have a pull out clothes line already attached to the walls to hang wet stuff.

Be careful about leaving OTC meds in plain view in your bathroom or cabin. If your room steward sees an array of Pepto, Imodium, Alka Seltzer and the like, you may be reported to his superiors about possible virus. Leave them in your suitcase under your bed.

I forgot some feminine products last cruise... NEVER AGAIN. The ship's supply is horrible and expensive.

Best thing I ever saw someone else bring... folding chairs (fold into long rectangle and has a sleeve). The couple found open space on the pool deck and never worried about chair hogs!!!

GENIUS!