Odd but great items to take with you

Ksimpson76

For the shower, I bring a back brush from the dollar store. At the end of the cruise, I just leave it.

How to shower.

To quote a comedian. 'First mark out where you will place your feet, next soap the walls, finally , turn on the water and SPIN.'

However, did not say where to put the brush.;)

john

• 2 weeks later...
Things to remember for my next cruise:

1. Binoculars. I have cruised past Cuba twice now, and wish I had had binoculars to get a closer look.

You may not need those binoculars afterall. I'm sure the lines are chomping st the bit to begin offering sailings to Cuba.

Some cruise lines have a retractable clothes line in the shower so no need to bring one. I know that Royal Caribbean does. Don't know about the rest. I don't think you would be allowed to use one on the balcony and hanging clothes in the cabin would drive me nuts. I only use the one in the shower for a swimsuit if we don't have a balcony. If we have a balcony, I use clothes pins to attach the swimsuit to the back of the chair. In the Caribbean, it will dry while I'm at dinner and I take it down and bring it inside. I wash it out, take a towel and tightly roll the swimsuit (or any other item) in the towel to get as much water as possible out of it before hanging it up.

Some cruise lines have a retractable clothes line in the shower so no need to bring one. I know that Royal Caribbean does. Don't know about the rest. I don't think you would be allowed to use one on the balcony and hanging clothes in the cabin would drive me nuts. I only use the one in the shower for a swimsuit if we don't have a balcony. If we have a balcony, I use clothes pins to attach the swimsuit to the back of the chair. In the Caribbean, it will dry while I'm at dinner and I take it down and bring it inside. I wash it out, take a towel and tightly roll the swimsuit (or any other item) in the towel to get as much water as possible out of it before hanging it up.

Every ship that I have been on, has had a retractable clothes line.

john

The dryer sheets are not for laundry - they are for chasing away possible bed bugs. Carnival Cruise Line had real issues with bed bugs a while back....not saying RCI does but you don't know who the previous inhabitant in your cabin was.

Most cabins that have a bathrub also have a pull out clothes line already attached to the walls to hang wet stuff.

Be careful about leaving OTC meds in plain view in your bathroom or cabin. If your room steward sees an array of Pepto, Imodium, Alka Seltzer and the like, you may be reported to his superiors about possible virus. Leave them in your suitcase under your bed.

I know this thread is old but enjoying it. But is it really true about the meds?

Edited by MNCruizer1

Things to remember for my next cruise:

2. Small clock. I had forgotten that there are no clocks in the room, and that is really frustrating to me. I have a small plug-in clock that will easily fit in a suitcase.

The electric power on the ship is not quite like that at home, so electric clocks can gain/lose time erratically. Consider picking up a cheap battery operated clock instead.

I know this thread is old but enjoying it. But is it really true about the meds?

Not true; we always bring along Imodium, Pepto, etc., and leave them on the bathroom shelf and have never had anyone question if we were having health issues. The cabin stewards and supervisors have too many cabins to deal with without trying to keep tabs on how many Imodium pills may have been consumed, or if the Pepto is down by a couple of tablespoons.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Not true; we always bring along Imodium, Pepto, etc., and leave them on the bathroom shelf and have never had anyone question if we were having health issues. The cabin stewards and supervisors have too many cabins to deal with without trying to keep tabs on how many Imodium pills may have been consumed, or if the Pepto is down by a couple of tablespoons.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Wow, I would really have a hard time with this. We leave all our meds out and if the steward was snooping and reading the labels and then telling someone else what he/she saw/read, I would be talking to their supervisor about invasion of privacy and not to bring up tips (don't want to drag this thread into the gutter) but for something like this I might seriously consider an adjustment:mad: In over 60 cruises I have never ask to have tips adjusted, but this might do it. I'm afraid it would also rate a letter to corporate. No, not an overreaction, I take this seriously.

Regardless of what medications you have lying around the place, I think your cabin steward would notice if you spent 24 hours puking, and it would be reasonable for them to let the ship's doctor know. There's also the risk that they themselves could catch something, and pass it on to other cabins.

Now, if they saw a packet of paracetamol lying around and told people you had a brain tumour, that would be different, but it's everyone's responsibility to keep the ship healthy :)

Regardless of what medications you have lying around the place, I think your cabin steward would notice if you spent 24 hours puking, and it would be reasonable for them to let the ship's doctor know. There's also the risk that they themselves could catch something, and pass it on to other cabins.

Now, if they saw a packet of paracetamol lying around and told people you had a brain tumour, that would be different, but it's everyone's responsibility to keep the ship healthy :)

We were not talking about puking. I agree it's part of their job description to notice those kinds of things. We were talking about him/her snooping and reading medicine labels and telling others. There are lots of medical conditions which require the same kinds of over the counter meds on a regular basis and have nothing to do with noro. So, yes, I would be upset. Now, many times I have had them ask "is everything OK" or something like that and I have no problem with simple personal concern like that.

DO NOT bring a crock pot. We saw one on the "naughty table" in the terminal at the end of our ALLURE cruise. The mind reels.

Why would someone bring a crock pot on a cruise?! Just curious. Isn't one of the highlights of a cruise that you don't have to cook for a week?

We always take a small funnel!

We take juice, and/or water from the buffet, and transfer into bottles for the fridge.

john

I never liked the juice enough to finish the tiny glass. It seemed very watery.

Jess