Norwegian vs carnival

baileydanae

Hi everyone,

So I have some questions. I have only been on one cruise so far, the carnival Ecstasy, which I loved. I have been invited to join for a bermuda cruise this may on the norwegian dawn. It sounds like a pretty good deal but I don't know much about ncl.

How is the food there? Is it the same set up for mdr dinner regarding time and free cost? I don't want to have to pay for every meal I eat.

Do they have the equivalent of "fun times" for each cabin? And do they make towel animals or other cute welcoming gestures?

How is the lido deck music? Carnival had a dj with top hits playing, which I didn't like. I want more steel drum type stuff.

How is the atmosphere and the people?

Also, how is the bermuda port (kings wharf)? Is there easy access to the beach?

For people who have cruised on both, are there any other big differences? Thanks!

I have been on several NCL cruises and only one very recent Carnival. Yes, the food in the MDR is included and of similar quality. NCL has more dining options but they come at an extra cost. I thought the entertainment overall was inferior on Carnival. NCL had more live music near the pool area and Carnival just had a DJ and a guitarist occasionally. The theatre entertainment was very weak on Carnival, and this is one are that NCL does much better.

Your cabin experience with the dailies and towel animals should be the same.

NCL is all freestyle with no need to make dining reservations at the dinner hour. You just show up.

Each ship and itinerary has its own differences so it is hard to compare. The people on each cruise sailing differ depending on the port, time of year, etc, so it is hard to generalize. You are coming into the spring break season, so that changes things. A January cruise or one the is longer than a week will see more seniors. The Carnival cruise I went on was a bit more "Cousin Eddie" than NCL, RCCL or HAL.