Cameo Factory (MERGED THREADS)

maltesemom

My friend and I visited the Cameo Factory back in 2009. Different strokes for different folks. We didn't buy anything. It really doesn't take long to look through what they have. The "showroom" is not very large. In our opinion, the cameos were kind of rudimentary. Not bad, a bit pretty but I would be very careful about what I would pay.

We loved Roatan. The Cameo Factory was our least favorite stop.

My friend and I visited the Cameo Factory back in 2009. Different strokes for different folks. We didn't buy anything. It really doesn't take long to look through what they have. The "showroom" is not very large. In our opinion, the cameos were kind of rudimentary. Not bad, a bit pretty but I would be very careful about what I would pay.

Hi,

I agree that not everyone will like the jewelry that is made at Franco’s Cameo Factory.

Everyone has different tastes.

Some of his pieces are basic, but many of his cameos are very detailed and all are different.

I happen to love all of the pieces I have bought there and I get lots of compliments.

If you go back, try “The Rusty Fish” on the road to West End. Great shop that uses recycled metals, woods, etc.

Judy : > )

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

We bought a neat little humming bird cameo pendant last week made out of abalone with a pewter bale. If I had more cash on me I would have gotten another but I left most of my cash on ship. Does anyone know if they have an online store?

On 6/26/2015 at 8:54 PM, lovevacadays said:

$40 for a hand carved cameo pendant made out of abalone shell I thought was decent. 

As far s buying a carved conch shell  to be a knickknack dust catcher in my house for the kind of money it cost, no thanks. It does not appeal to me. I remember my parents had one they brought back form Korea/late  1940's when they were there with the army (my dad was stationed there in 1947) a little before the Korean war started. It never appealed to me. so I would not want that if it was free. but I love cameo brooches and pendants.

I agree with  you about using a credit or bank card. I do not use them anywhere in the Caribbean outside of Key West.

1 hour ago, momofmeg said:

We bought a neat little humming bird cameo pendant last week made out of abalone with a pewter bale. If I had more cash on me I would have gotten another but I left most of my cash on ship. Does anyone know if they have an online store?

I love the Sand Castle.  They do not have a website, but we make an extended visit each year and if you are interested, you can contact me and I will get you in touch with Franco, the owner and Master Carver.  I will be returning in December.

Franco is from Italy and studied there to learn his trade.  He came to Roatan and opened The Sand Castle and has taught locals how to carve.  I love that everything is made at this site and all are made by Franco and his local artisans.  

My contact information is:  judy donie at yahoo dot com . (in email format with no capitals and no spaces)

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 11:33 AM, Travel Junkie Judy said:

I love the Sand Castle.  They do not have a website, but we make an extended visit each year and if you are interested, you can contact me and I will get you in touch with Franco, the owner and Master Carver.  I will be returning in December.

Franco is from Italy and studied there to learn his trade.  He came to Roatan and opened The Sand Castle and has taught locals how to carve.  I love that everything is made at this site and all are made by Franco and his local artisans.  

My contact information is:  judy donie at yahoo dot com . (in email format with no capitals and no spaces)

Why don't you suggest Franco open an etsey or Amazon store? I wanted a site I have confidence in using my card online. For the same reason I would not use my cards there, I would  not just use it anywheree online. That is what I want.

Otherwise I will wait until antoher cruise.

1 minute ago, momofmeg said:

Why don't you suggest Franco open an etsey or Amazon store? I wanted a site I have confidence in using my card online. For the same reason I would not use my cards there, I would  not just use it anywheree online. That is what I want.

Otherwise I will wait until antoher cruise.

My guess is that Franco could not handle the volume of sales if he went online.  As I mentioned, everything is made on site and he has only a few carvers.  I think he does well with his little showroom and I would guess that he does not want to expand.  

The people who sell in the shop have been there for many years.  They are loyal to him, so I assume he is good to them.  I am there about once a year and they always have a warm greeting and a "Welcome back" for me.  It is nice.

I suggest to anyone interested that they take cash.  The surcharge for merchants in Roatan is huge for credit card use.  That is why we always take as much cash as we can.  

• 7 months later...
On 7/15/2019 at 12:17 PM, Travel Junkie Judy said:

My guess is that Franco could not handle the volume of sales if he went online.  As I mentioned, everything is made on site and he has only a few carvers.  I think he does well with his little showroom and I would guess that he does not want to expand.  

The people who sell in the shop have been there for many years.  They are loyal to him, so I assume he is good to them.  I am there about once a year and they always have a warm greeting and a "Welcome back" for me.  It is nice.

I suggest to anyone interested that they take cash.  The surcharge for merchants in Roatan is huge for credit card use.  That is why we always take as much cash as we can.  

I am sure I will be back to Roatan.