Sharing drinks

lupaglupa

It's a shame that the cruise lines put people in this position. They are selling most of us a card they very well know we will not utilize fully thus giving them EXTRA profit.

The cruise lines are doing very well for themselves with their $10 allowance per person perday food allowance and selling everything from soup to nuts at extravagent prices (alcohol by the bottle and WIFI for example and not to mention the huge decrease in fuel costs well below the $100 per gal allowance) Oh, and I almost forgot, paying their employees next to nothing and relying on well meaning guests to make up the difference in extra tips.

I would rather they offer a card that is good for so many drinks per day for a certain price and not worry about who drinks them, they are PAID for.

I know I will get slammed for this from those of you who have plenty of cash to spend beause "you are on vacation". I would rather see fairness across the board. Oh,I forgot, this is BUSINESS.

Just sayin'.

Well put!

Since you replied to my post directly I want to say I was in no way condoning cheating or making excuses or justifying anthing to do so. Just stating facts and possible alternatives.

You were the one that complained that cruise lines are putting people in that position. I don't see it that way. They are in business to make a profit. Everyone has a choice to either agree with what they are selling or go elsewhere if we don't like what the "rules" are.

We received a SBP card each for our cruise in May, we were told each has a value of $50 per day. I thought that meant you can receive drinks and they tally up until you reach $50 per day. I told my husband that with the water, coffee and soda I drink, I would reach that limit pretty early every day, and he may see a few cocktails added to our tab on some days. Then I found out that there is a 15 drink limit. Then I was all like "Who can drink 15 drinks a day?!" LOL But to lupaglupa I would say that giving your child a little bit of your smoothie or non-alcoholic drink is understandable. Escpecially if the son is a younger child who won't be drinking a full sized bevvy. That is the context that I got with her question. Obviously we are not to share our drink cards as in each family member using the same card all day long, when it is meant for one person. If the stewards and bartenders allow people to split one drink with two glasses, I think lupaglupa would be covered. Happy cruising all. :D

Lorie

I think if you go back and read the OPs first post, it was pretty clear what they were talking about. When they received a less than positive response the situation changed. I don't think anyone would care one bit if the op was sharing some non alcoholic drinks with her child.

I think if you go back and read the OPs first post, it was pretty clear what they were talking about. When they received a less than positive response the situation changed. I don't think anyone would care one bit if the op was sharing some non alcoholic drinks with her child.

And if I read it correctly, the child is in the inside cabin that didn't get the SBP. That's the only way to reconcile the first post with the later ones. ;)

I personally think the OP is back peddling. They specifically said they couldn't drink 15 drinks a day and how strict was HAL in sharing. They don't want to scam a HUGE profit ( OP's words not mine ) . I guess scamming a little profit is okay. In a way I understand where the OP is coming from, they are willing to give up part of their allotment in order to pass on the savings. It just doesn't work that way, however.

When they didn't get the response they liked they cried foul. This is the part I don't understand. As my husband would say " put on your big girl panties" and defend your position but don't whine when people don't agree with you..or change your story to try to make it look better to the masses.

Denise,

Correct interpretation.

Haven't people here had cell phone plans where the "contract" that they "voluntarily" agreed to did not provide rollover minutes? People go into business to make money. If consumers don't like the deal, they have the option of refusing it.

On our next cruise in March we will have the drink card, it came as part of a promotion with our booking. We would not get the card if it is not part of the promotion. We are not big drinkers. It would not be cost affective for us. My DH likes a few beers per day, I am a wine drinker.

HAL and other cruise lines have designed these packages as money makers for them. I have no problem with this. If you accept the package you need to follow the rules that have been set forth by the cruise line.

I fine these type of posts disturbing. We as a society can not seem to identify what is right and wrong anymore. What is right and wrong now is based on what you can get away with. The OP asked the question as if they wanted to share with other adults. She does not ask anything about a child. It really doesn't matter either way it would be wrong. You don't go into the ships shops and say I am going to buy this t-shirt, can I get one for my friend for free. I am not trying to beat up on the OP, I think this is the way our society has come to decide what is right and wrong.

We will be on this cruise with 2 other couples. They do not have the cards. I don't think they will expect us to share our drinks. It doesn't matter we will not. We also will not come close on most days to getting the 15 drinks each, again it doesn't matter we will follow the rules.

Thank you - that's very helpful. You almost erase the taste of having the forum flame me. But I'm not coming back to Cruise Critic. Other, nicer, places likely have information.

I feel your pain Lupaglupa! more often than not, I just read posts here and cringe when someone is snarked at or flamed..................try some other public posting venues, lots of info there as well!

we had the plan on our cruise last April. Every once in a while we would use our card to give a drink to someone (whose name was not on the card). Not one HAL bartender nor server went screaming to their supervisors that we were doing this. We buy others drinks on our reg tab too. Cannot tell you how many glasses of wine our dinner server GAVE us, knowing we had the "free" card. Blast me, I don't care.

I completely LOVE threads like these! The sides are drawn, the opinions are thrown about as if they are god's good wisdom, and those who disagree would be marched out in orange jump suits to be beheaded. :rolleyes:

The derision and indignation is just so COMICAL!

The idea that programs were taken away because of "passenger abuse", let's not be naive. The reason any Corporation makes a decision is that they realize a new way to increase profits while provided less of a product to the consumers.

With their prices/salaries paid/vertical stacking of self, they are far from losing money.

Beyond myself, hasn't anyone ever worked in finance or even taken an advance economics course? If a company is hemorrhaging money different actions are taken at the Corporate level and additional debt/obligations aren't taken on or if they were they are cancelled.

Now did or didn't HAL make any new orders for boats? ;)

To the OP, do as you will w/o concern of opinion as HAL isn't losing money.

To the OPs detractors, see above as HAL isn't losing money even if every drink card is maximized.

I completely LOVE threads like these! The sides are drawn, the opinions are thrown about as if they are god's good wisdom, and those who disagree would be marched out in orange jump suits to be beheaded. :rolleyes:

The idea that programs were taken away because of "passenger abuse", let's not be naive. The reason any Corporation makes a decision is that they realize a new way to increase profits while provided less of a product to the consumers. <snip>

Isn't that the same thing? There were many abusing the unlimited soda card by having a whole family/group share one card that was sold to be used by one person. By doing that, the cruise line was losing money. It was to be one person per card and half dozen (or more) were using it :eek: and that equals loss of profits.

we had the plan on our cruise last April. Every once in a while we would use our card to give a drink to someone (whose name was not on the card). Not one HAL bartender nor server went screaming to their supervisors that we were doing this. We buy others drinks on our reg tab too. Cannot tell you how many glasses of wine our dinner server GAVE us, knowing we had the "free" card. Blast me, I don't care.

You can rationalize it anyway you like, it is still theft. Plain and simple.

The idea that programs were taken away because of "passenger abuse", let's not be naive. The reason any Corporation makes a decision is that they realize a new way to increase profits while provided less of a product to the consumers.

With their prices/salaries paid/vertical stacking of self, they are far from losing money.

Beyond myself, hasn't anyone ever worked in finance or even taken an advance economics course? If a company is hemorrhaging money different actions are taken at the Corporate level and additional debt/obligations aren't taken on or if they were they are cancelled.

To the OPs detractors, see above as HAL isn't losing money even if every drink card is maximized.

I find this kind of perspective even more comical.

Because, in your opinion, the company isn't losing money (in your estimation, making tons of it) the abuse and violation of the terms of purchase is somehow acceptable.

Perhaps you should have invested in a few ethics classes rather than economics. It probably would have served you better because clearly the economics education failed you miserably.

Edited by KevInPitt

I completely LOVE threads like these! The sides are drawn, the opinions are thrown about as if they are god's good wisdom, and those who disagree would be marched out in orange jump suits to be beheaded. :rolleyes: Rolled eyes or not that comment is in very bad taste.

The idea that programs were taken away because of "passenger abuse", let's not be naive. Oh yes they do. Long gone is "unlimited internet" for Elite on Princess and no longer can one bring on unlimited wine on HAL.The reason any Corporation makes a decision is that they realize a new way to increase profits while provided less of a product to the consumers.

The issue really has nothing to do with HAL or any other company losing or making money. It is about following the rules regardless of all other factors. This "it is all about me" society (or is it a generational attitude) just drives me crazy and makes me very sad.

I'm sitting here grinning to myself. This thread is sounding dangerously close:D to those I encountered on the Carnival CC Boards the last time we sailed CCL. It seemed like every other post was regarding ways to beat the system (ie ways to sneak hard liquor and/or extra wine aboard, sneaking aboard more that the 12 soft drinks allowed pp, or how to eat in the MDR without having to nod to the requested dress code).

We don't do drink cards - we pay as we go and never spend even close to what the drink card would cost us. Sometimes it seems that "newbies" to cruising sometimes think one must buy a drink package for the cruise rather than figure out how cost effective it would be compared to pay-as-you-go.

btw - having taught school for 38 years ... I'm one of those daggone rule followers who wouldn't buy one drink card and then share.... just me :)

I feel your pain Lupaglupa! more often than not, I just read posts here and cringe when someone is snarked at or flamed..................try some other public posting venues, lots of info there as well!

I don't think there was any snark. Just straight forward responses . As for trying other venues I would bet honest posters post there too.

Does your comment also pertain to HAL's smoking policy "rules"

I'm not Cruz Chic but she has always been upfront about disliking HAL's smoking and pricing policies. She often cruises other lines ( Princess? ) so I guess she has taken her money to another line.

Does your comment also pertain to HAL's smoking policy "rules"

I'm not Cruz Chic but she has always been upfront about disliking HAL's smoking and pricing policies. She often cruises other lines ( Princess? ) so I guess she has taken her money to another line.

Thank you indydenise. You are correct. Also just an fyi for you silversailer I will not be cruising in a balcony on my may cruise so I really don't understand your point. Soon enough balcony smoking will end.

i completely love threads like these! The sides are drawn, the opinions are thrown about as if they are god's good wisdom, and those who disagree would be marched out in orange jump suits to be beheaded. :rolleyes:

The derision and indignation is just so comical!

The idea that programs were taken away because of "passenger abuse", let's not be naive. The reason any corporation makes a decision is that they realize a new way to increase profits while provided less of a product to the consumers.

Beyond myself, hasn't anyone ever worked in finance or even taken an advance economics course? If a company is hemorrhaging money different actions are taken at the corporate level and additional debt/obligations aren't taken on or if they were they are cancelled.

Now did or didn't hal make any new orders for boats? ;)

to the op, do as you will w/o concern of opinion as hal isn't losing money.

To the ops detractors, see above as hal isn't losing money even if every drink card is maximized.

like!!!!!

It's a shame that the cruise lines put people in this position. They are selling most of us a card they very well know we will not utilize fully thus giving them EXTRA profit.

I don't understand what position the cruise line is putting people in. Position to cheat?

The Explorer4 drink card is free. So not only is HAL offering a nice perk it is their fault people are dishonest?

My cruise price never went below what I paid before my category sold out but I also received the Explore4 package and $400.00 obc for the first two people in my room. That's more than people that booked later received.

Since my sis and I are receiving the drink package we bought the third person in the room their own . HAL rules say everyone must be on the same package and while my PVP didn't think they would require that we buy the third person one ,we did anyway.

It's not hard to do the right thing. In fact it's very easy. I don't have to make up lame excuses or justify my actions. Just because HAL makes a profit it shouldn't turn me into a thief. I'm not sure how HAL is responsible for someone else's lack of morals?

One of the restaurants I enjoy is Sizzler. When they have the all you can eat shrimp special, I have a great meal. MyDW orders the salad bar because she enjoys salad. But she always picks 20-30 shrimp off my plate.

This drives me crazy, because my brain (ethics) tells me this is stealing. She thinks it is okay, because Sizzler charges so much for the salad bar. Would you do it?

A friend of mine goes to McDonalds daily and orders a sandwich. He uses an old cup and refills his drink without paying. He feels they charge so much for the sandwich the drink should be included. I think it is theft.

My aunt is 85. We go to Hometown Buffer once in a while. She collects napkins, then takes steak, ham, potatoes, fish and cookies then wraps them in the napkins and puts them in her purse. She has enough food for another meal for her and her husband. She says they charge seniors too much because seniors don't eat that much at one time. Sorry, auntie, that is theft.

Who is right in the above situations? I guess sharing that drink card is like sharing the shrimp, taking the soda without paying or carrying a couple meals in your purse. Sure you can justify it, but you know that ethically it is wrong. You know it is theft.

If you find my I-Phone on the ship, please return it. Don't think it is a free gift from the cruise line.