Nervous!?

leobugtravels

We will be visiting Grand Cayman on March 10 on Independence of the Seas. This stop was a big decision on why I booked this cruise. I recently read that there is a 50/50 chance of not getting to stop at this island because of weather. Should I be panicking? Is the weather better this time of year? Will the ship try to stop at the island on another sea day?

OMG...stop worrying! You are more likely than not to tender on your port day. You should know NEVER to book a cruise because of 1 port....the cruise contract states specifically that they can change, rearrange or CANCEL any port, at any time, for any reason...NEVER, EVER cruise for the ports!!!!

That said...you will probably get there! Enjoy!

Almost missed it Jan. 27 but we had an awesome Captain who took us over to Spotts Bay where we tendered though the water was very rough and I suspect some of the elderly/infirm may have opted to stay onboard. The RC ship turned away that day.

We're 50/50 for making Grand Cayman now. Made it, with a beautiful day to boot, in March 2006. We missed it on our last cruise in April 2014, due to high swells and strong winds that would have made tendering too dangerous. The port authority in Grand Cayman actually closed the port that day, in addition to the back up tendering area at Spott's Bay.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

We missed our first scheduled call at Grand Cayman which I guess was about 9 years ago. Seas need to be relatively calm for the tenders to be able to operate.

We have made it in our other two times. On one we did have to move over to Spott's Bay, but we made it! We are scheduled to be there again in a couple of weeks and I'm sure we will be fine.

I am quite sure the odds are in your favor, but don't set yourself up for disappointment, or believe your trip will be ruined if you do not make it. Ships miss ports form time to time for a variety of reasons, so be prepared for that.

Edited by cruzeluver
more info

I am so sorry you are so nervous. I have sailed an itinerary to Grand Cayman twice and been able to tender and see the island. My recommendation to anyone sailing the Caribbean is just relax. You may or may not get to your ports. Such is the nature of sailing there. My first cruise to the Caribbean missed two ports. You just have to adjust and have a good time.