Info on Baltic Cruise

We are waitlisted on the Grand Princess July 18 which leaves Copenhagen, goes to Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg, Berlin, Gdansk etc. I am still undecided about this cruise and would appreciate any feedback. We haven't done the Greece/Turkey area but I understand July is very hot down there. Could anyone let me know how hot the Baltic area is - sunbathing, swimming on the ship etc??

Many thanks.

Cheryl

Last summer we hit the European heat wave on our Scandinavian/Baltic cruise. Yes, we could swim onboard, but on the other hand, the sightseeing was very uncomfortable. Not many places are air conditioned.

Last summer was unusually hot and sunny in the Baltic area as well as many other parts of Europe. It is true that city sightseeing can be uncomfortable under such circumstances and there is not always air conditioning in our part of the world. What we usually need here is central heating icon_wink.gif.

Having said that, I would definitely avoid Greece/Turkey in July or August. There you are guaranteed it will be uncomfortably hot to do any sightseeing. The best time for Mediterranean cruises is May/June or September.

The weather in the Baltic varies a lot. In July it can be anything from cold and rainy to sunny and hot. So if you decide on the Baltic cruise, bring clothes that you can use in layers. Then you can add or take off as the weather changes.

And don't hesitate to bring your swimwear and shorts, it may be nice and warm this summer too.

Our cruise was the first 2 weeks in August last year. The weather was perfect. Oslo, Stockholm, and Helsinki were sunny and in the mid-70s. NO humidity. St. Petersburg had been in the 90s the week before we got there (I can't imagine how horrible that was) but when we were there it was cool(60s) and overcast. (It even rained, lightly, a couple of times.) Tallin was glorious - sunny and 70s. We finally caught up to the infamous heat wave in Warnemunde - it was HOT! Copenhagen was back to being pleasant.

Our sea days were delightful - definately pool days! Not at all what I expected!!

The weather in the Baltic can vary so be prepared for anything!! And enjoy. This is an incredible cruise!!

Joanie

Archived