Gas Prices/shortages

jess43

Luckily I was out of gas on Mon and filled up for $2.54. It went to $2.99 on Wed with extremely long lines and most stations were out of gas on Thur. We are leaving for Myrtle Beach SC on Tue. We have enough gas to get there. I told my boss we may not have enough to get back though:) ;) :D I agree that the demand was larger than the supply. Hopefully things will get back to some normalcy soon. Unfortunately, they won't be for the victims of Katrina.

" I told my boss we may not have enough to get back though:) ;) :D

That's exactly what I told my boss, that we might not be able to get back and may have to spend an extra few days in Florida!

Let's all hope this crisis inspires us to be much more responsible in our use of gas. The sale of SUVs and other gas guzzlers just makes it worse. The government needs to set higher mpg standards and tax those who demand horsepower and ridiculous size!

I heard on the Radio News today that we the U.S. has enough stored Oil in the Nevada Desert to make us 400 years of Fuel, The EPA has given us the Ok to I guess Produce this fuel and thin it out abit...

Anyways San Diego Fuel up now to $3.05 thats regular and $3.15 for premium, a whole $40.00 gas tank for me.:mad:

I heard on the Radio News today that we the U.S. has enough stored Oil in the Nevada Desert to make us 400 years of Fuel, The EPA has given us the Ok to I guess Produce this fuel and thin it out abit...

Anyways San Diego Fuel up now to $3.05 thats regular and $3.15 for premium, a whole $40.00 gas tank for me.:mad:

Wow, I thought It would of been alot higher in San Diego.

Wednesday - Panic sets in and people rush to the gas staions to fill up their vehicles and storage tanks. We paid $2.49 and a half hour later it was up to $2.89 at the same gas station!

Thursday - Prices up to $2.99 - $3.29 and most of the gas stations are out. I carpool with the husband to get to work in his company vehicle.

Friday - Prices range from $3.49 - $3.99 and most gas stations only have 87 octane.

We are leaving tomorrow AM for our cruise on HAL Zuiderdam. I hope that some of the hysteria stops and the prices hold or go down. Perhaps, by the time we return on 9/10 the distributors will be able to provide for the high demand.

This sucks! We need to be like Hawaii and fix the gas prices. I would gladly pay $2.15 instead of $3.99!

What can I say to the original poster? There are issues with supply scattered throughout the southeast and in other places, you may very well have problems. People are over-reacting, so extra deliveries that should be going to areas with genuine need are instead going to other places where people are just trying to avoid the rising prices.

The president asked people to avoid unnecessary travel, but the "me me me" attitude says "Why should I?"

Like Mared1 said, gas here is right around 3 dollars a gallon and I haven't seen any lines. Heard a report from Iowa DNR today on the news at noon and the woman said that gas shouldn't go up here until Labor Day because of travel demands. I wouldn't travel this weekend but I have to to get back to school.

New Hampshire

Wed- $2.59

Thur-$2.89-$3.09

Friday it is up to $3.39 and changing!!!:eek:

Moped today is $998 After Monday it is going to $1399 On sale this weekend only!!!

Looking into a Golf Cart now..LOL

Hee hee, I can imagine you tooling around the mountains of New Hampshire in your golf cart! My brother and his family live in Keene. I'm sure you'd go for the deluxe model with the built-in beer cooler and slap a bumper sticker on it that says, "My Other Car Is A Cruise Ship"!

You always make me laugh!

Let's all hope this crisis inspires us to be much more responsible in our use of gas. The sale of SUVs and other gas guzzlers just makes it worse. The government needs to set higher mpg standards and tax those who demand horsepower and ridiculous size!

On the other hand, if gas prices continue to go up and stay that way for a long time you won't need high mpg standards and gas guzzler taxes. If gas costs $4-$5 a gallon consumer demand will force the manufacturers to sell more fuel efficient cars, and there will be little demand for SUVs unless they can figure out a way to get 30 mpg out of them.

On the other hand, if gas prices continue to go up and stay that way for a long time you won't need high mpg standards and gas guzzler taxes. If gas costs $4-$5 a gallon consumer demand will force the manufacturers to sell more fuel efficient cars, and there will be little demand for SUVs unless they can figure out a way to get 30 mpg out of them.

Of, course, you are absolutely correct. Indeed, rising gas prices have already slowed sales of SUVs. I also agree that most Americans are smart enough to figure out that SUVs use a tremendous amount of gas. But the government has also waffled in regard to setting higher mileage standards. I really believe that we Americans tend to be spoiled and selfish. We are strong on "me," and weak on "we," and refuse to act for the common good. Sometimes, we need the government to set standards that will force the selfish to act otherwise.

My husband always says "A flat tire ain't no big deal unless it's YOUR flat tire." To those of us that can't get gas, it's a shortage. Now, there may not be a national shortage but there is a definate problem. When it happens in your area like it has in ours, it becomes a crisis.

We can't get home because of the gas situation in South MS. We have a car full of supplies and a generator and can't get them there.

I just hope you're right and there is no shortage and will level out in a week. I need to get home as soon as possible to get these supplies to my family.

In Orlando, gas was $2.59 at my regular BP station on Wednesday. That day, rumors started flying (I heard several comments on radio talkshows and heard people talking about it in a sports bar) that stations were running out of gas and wouldn't get anymore until next Tuesday. That night we passed several stations that had long lines of cars well out into the road. It was around $2.79 - $2.89 then. Yes, some stations did run out of gas, thanks to the panic. My regular station was closed with the pumps roped off when we passed by on our way home. By the next morning, the gas trucks had made their rounds and most stations were open again -- lines were there but not nearly as long as the night before. This morning, I was down to a quarter of a tank, so I stopped for gas (no line at all) and paid $2.89.

I know the area schools are worried they will run out of gas for the buses. Some counties have stopped the extra-curricular buses (sports, field trips, etc.), but all are still running the daily buses at this point. Kids in Orange County were told yesterday there may not be enough gas to run the buses next week and parents would have to get them to/from school. Last night, though, Jeb said he found a source for fuel for the buses, so the immediate crisis appears to be over for now.

HEY CHRIZ!!!!! Another cruiser from Mack-Donna. I live in Kelleytown. I went to the Kroger at 20 and 212 Wednesday and the cars were 10 deep, paying 2.89. When I went into the store. people were buying groceries like they had announced the "s" (that's snow to you northerners) word. One guy had 15 five gallon containers in his pickup and filled them all. Most stations have gas now, average 3.09 to 3.29.

My husband always says "A flat tire ain't no big deal unless it's YOUR flat tire." To those of us that can't get gas, it's a shortage. Now, there may not be a national shortage but there is a definate problem. When it happens in your area like it has in ours, it becomes a crisis.

We can't get home because of the gas situation in South MS. We have a car full of supplies and a generator and can't get them there.

I just hope you're right and there is no shortage and will level out in a week. I need to get home as soon as possible to get these supplies to my family.

Exactly... it FEELS like a shortage when you don't have any... And while we don't have NEARLY the other tragedies going on like you folks, it is definitely a problem. I am hoping that most people have been able to get gas and by the time it starts becoming a big problem, the trucks will be here with gas... but I do hope that they make sure the gulf areas are served first.. we can deal to go without gas for a while, inconvenient and a little scary, yes... but nothing compared to what all of you are experiencing... I hope you get gas and get home to your family soon

I will say, I never really noticed people at the pumps.. but you certainly notice it when there are none... it's eerie.

Several people have addressed Atlanta but I didn't see anyone actually give prices, and you *will* come through here. We *do* have a shortage (and YES no available gas IS a shortage - that's what SHORTAGE means - it doesn't address the CAUSE), but it should be cleared up in the next day or so. Some stations are closed, others are out of one grade or another.

Prices are $3.19 and up today (but where you'll be on I-75, you'd probably pay more like $3.29 and up), but it is supposed to go down $0.18 to $0.20 tomorrow because Governor Purdue today waived all fuel tax and sales tax on fuel until thing are back to normal.

LRene- Hattiesburg got hit hard. You are obviously ok...what about your home? Minimal structural damage here...mostly just power outages,no water, and NO GAS. Gov. Barbour said today "there IS A SHORTAGE. Several refineries in Pascagoula are shut down and they gave us 350,000 gallons a day" (I think a day he said). Not to mention the "pipelines in the gulf that are completely shutdown". Hello? THAT makes a shortage. I am supposed to cruise on Sensation in Sept, but if it goes out of Galveston, I will have to cancel. And believe it or not, that bothers me not ONE BIT. How some people are coping with their losses is BEYOND ME. Nobody but the ones in the heart of this mess know how hard this is (and *I* am not one of them, thank GOD).

LRene- Hattiesburg got hit hard. You are obviously ok...what about your home? Minimal structural damage here...mostly just power outages,no water, and NO GAS. Gov. Barbour said today "there IS A SHORTAGE.

Bev - we did OK but bailed two days later. We didn't have running water, phone, (obviously) power and our cell phones were about dead. Hattiesburg did get hit hard but our home survived. We are so much better off than a lot of people and are very thankful.

We didn't bail as much for ourselves as we did for our family. Now I'm feeling guilty. My 8 mo. old granddaughter needed diapers and formula and my parents in Gulfport need everything. We came here for supplies and have them so it is so FRIGHTENING to think we can't get back with them.

The baby has been taken care of. They got both of my granddaughters out of the area. It's my parents that need me. I could just throw up except I can't eat anything without feeling waves of guilt.

While shopping in the metroplex, EVERY store we went in to had people out front getting donations for the victims. Most stores were matching the donations. Most in the area affected have no communications so they have no idea. It's so overwhelming.

Bev - Could you do me a favor? Can you start a post on this forum when you have any information about the gas situation? We feel like if we can get gas as far south as Jackson area, we'll be able to make it on it. That is, providing we can get gas in NW Louisiana as well.

There's no actual shortage... The same exact thing happened all over the country after 9/11.

Demand quickly outgrew the onhand supply and the gas stations ran out..... coupled with an interuption in gas flow out of N.O. It's not that we're short. It's that we bought too much too quickly and the supply chain is trying to keep up but having a hard time. It's amazing how quickly public hysteria can lead to things like this. People heard prices were going up and made a run on all the local gas supply.... now it has turned into a national crisis..... next will come that the gas supply was tainted with anthrax......then that Osama Bin Laden himself is somehow behind all this. Seriously folks. Give it a week or so for the supply to replenish the demand and all of this talk will be over soon.

BTW..... Dallas, TX. Gas went up a grand total of $.10 to 2.89. No hysteria here.

Danny

I have to agree Danny. Its not like some nut got on national TV "urging all people to stop unnecessary travel in the U.S. because of the fuel shortages." That would be crazy! The only reason I could see for that ever happening would be if the nut's Dad owned a ton of oil company stock. Besides, all the Dad's friends would certainly get together and conspire to keep the prices low in thier home state. And I've seen nothing of the sort.

Archived