Carry on vs. checking luggage?

Runaway Parent

First, I'm an experienced cruiser with expedited luggage delivery, so I totally get that. However, I've seen more and more people taking their own luggage to the ship, so it started me thinking.

As soon as we get our luggage we like to unpack everything-- hang it up, fill the drawers, everything. That way we are DONE with luggage and can start cruising!

Since we get to go to our rooms immediately upon boarding, I'm wondering about taking the luggage now rather than checking it. It always seems like we are in "wait" mode on the first day....wait for luggage, wait for safety briefing, wait for dinner. (Yes, that last one is a stretch.)

Does anyone else just take their luggage on with them?

We like to keep our luggage with us. I haven't checked luggage in years whether on a cruise or on a plane.

Of course you cannot do that if you bring tons of stuff on board as you must be able to carry everything easily yourself! We each have a roller bag +either a large tote or backpack and we can manage without any help.

I do, but that's because I travel with just a true carry on bag and tote. Yes I am a woman, and yes, I can pack a weeks worth of clothes in a carry on sized bag :)

If you are Platinum/Diamond/FTTF, then your luggage should arrive very shortly upon arriving to your room. At least ours did when it was 3 of us. They were there within 15 min.

If you have luggage that is oversized, I would say more than 25", then they will make you check them as they need to be able to fit through the Xray scanner.

Edited by firemanbobswife

As long as your luggage isn't over 25", carry it on. Use the roller bag with inboard wheels (the new 360 wheel bags break instantly and are a real nuisance to other travelers). Slip a back pack or large zippered carry-all (perfect for shore excursions) over the extended handle. When packing invest in travel size toiletries, compact hair dryers and curling irons, wear your heaviest shoes, don't bring "formal" clothes, or if you must... invest in a light weight suit bag, roll it up and fasten with a bungee cord and attach it to your suitcase handle.

I traveled 6 weeks in Europe, with carry-on only, including several different climate zones. Remember NOBODY is looking at you but you. I actually leave all my cosmetics at home, french braid my hair, have a great pair of 'Keen hiking sandals' that precludes me from bringing sneakers. Never bring wine, water, soda, or electronics...though a couple of 3oz containers of Woolite is a must.

First, I'm an experienced cruiser with expedited luggage delivery, so I totally get that. However, I've seen more and more people taking their own luggage to the ship, so it started me thinking.

As soon as we get our luggage we like to unpack everything-- hang it up, fill the drawers, everything. That way we are DONE with luggage and can start cruising!

Since we get to go to our rooms immediately upon boarding, I'm wondering about taking the luggage now rather than checking it. It always seems like we are in "wait" mode on the first day....wait for luggage, wait for safety briefing, wait for dinner. (Yes, that last one is a stretch.)

Does anyone else just take their luggage on with them?

If you are not platinum/diamond there is a chance u may not b able to go to your room early,it varies. Chances r you will b able to.

Edited by texast518

If you board after 1:30 you can go to your room instantly....and you can still get something to eat.

I agree with having access to the room at 1:30 to drop off the carry-on immediately.

I've also seen the opposite on the Wonder when walk-off cruisers has their checked bags. For the last breakfast, I see the walk off cruisers drag all their luggage to the dining room. Either it's blocking the aisles for servers or other cruisers trying to get to their tables. Or it's piled high and deep at the entrance. Ugly. Totally different than the first lunch when it is only carry-on. If every cruiser had all their checked-luggage next to their table for the first lunch.... it would be extremely messy.

Note if you do board at 1:30... you might find there isn't enough time for the buffet that closes at 2pm (that you paid for). If you do.... you have a real tough time finding an open table. I prefer to board at 1pm or sooner. Start the lunch and send one family member (usually me) to the room when they are available after 1:30pm to unload the carry on while the others continue to enjoy the lunch.

If you are not platinum/diamond there is a chance u may not b able to go to your room early,it varies. Chances r you will b able to.

They implied they wanted to go to their room after boarding early, they can probably put their luggage in closet but may not b able to unpack early if room not finished before 1:30.

Edited by texast518

I don't care about carry on but love the carry off and will do it every cruise from now on....I like being able to have my luggage with the last morning and I like not having to wait with the masses and the crowds....the last few cruises out of long beach I was probably home by the time I would of gotten off with my checked bags...plus as a bonus I don't have to worry about someone stealing my stuff :eek:

sorry for the rant :cool:

[quote}

"If you are Platinum/Diamond/FTTF, then your luggage should arrive very shortly upon arriving to your room. At least ours did when it was 3 of us. They were there within 15 min."

That may be the goal but it certainly is not the case in our CCL cruises. We are diamond and have not received our luggage until about 5PM on the last several CCL cruises.

With so many bags I highly doubt they separate all the Pla/Dia/FTTF bags when they come on board from the porters. If they do we certainly have not received our bags any faster than we did prior to being pla/dia.

In fact out cabin was not even fully done when we arrived on board the last few cruises. We always drop off our carryons in the closet and tell the steward right away and introduce ourselves. We always did this even prior to being platinum. It only takes a few seconds to drop off your bag in the closet and then go to lunch or wherever PLATINUM or NOT without getting in the stewards way.

The mass chaos of elderly folks dragging up bags into the lido buffet on embarkation day is somewhat comical. I can't tell you how many elderly folks I have helped up there over the years simply because they were only born with 2 hands.. Don't even get me going on paying $50 for FTTF to drop off your carry ons and board maybe 30 minutes sooner.

A RIPOFF IMO

[quote}

"If you are Platinum/Diamond/FTTF, then your luggage should arrive very shortly upon arriving to your room. At least ours did when it was 3 of us. They were there within 15 min."

That may be the goal but it certainly is not the case in our CCL cruises. We are diamond and have not received our luggage until about 5PM on the last several CCL cruises.

With so many bags I highly doubt they separate all the Pla/Dia/FTTF bags when they come on board from the porters. If they do we certainly have not received our bags any faster than we did prior to being pla/dia.

In fact out cabin was not even fully done when we arrived on board the last few cruises. We always drop off our carryons in the closet and tell the steward right away and introduce ourselves. We always did this even prior to being platinum. It only takes a few seconds to drop off your bag in the closet and then go to lunch or wherever PLATINUM or NOT without getting in the stewards way.

The mass chaos of elderly folks dragging up bags into the lido buffet on embarkation day is somewhat comical. I can't tell you how many elderly folks I have helped up there over the years simply because they were only born with 2 hands.. Don't even get me going on paying $50 for FTTF to drop off your carry ons and board maybe 30 minutes sooner.

A RIPOFF IMO

Well that's a shame you didn't get your luggage delivered promptly. You have to let the Porters know when you hand it to them so they put an orange sticker on it. They don't pay attention to the "Priority" or "F2F" that's printed on it. So if you didn't make them put the sticker on it, then you will get it at the regular time with the "Common Folks".

As far as Faster To The Fun, I will buy it every time I can and I really don't care what people think :p. So keep on hating and have a nice cruise! ;)

P.S. I don't buy it just to get to my room earlier, or board earlier. I also like to stand in line with you at GS :D. As the Rev Dr E would say, "Ciao Ciao, double Ciao!"

[quote}

A RIPOFF IMO

FTTF has special stickers that the porters place on your luggage. They seemed to be putting the FTTF luggage on a specific cart. We were on the ship at 11:30 and all but one of our bags was at our door when we arrived. The last bag came about 12:30. FTTF isn't just about getting on early - when we walked into the terminal there was a long line. We were directed to a counter and walked right up and got our s&s cards. Then we were able to sit comfortably and wait for them to begin boarding. FTTF also has your room ready immediately so we went right to our room and dropped off our carry-ons. This was very helpful because we were with my parents so we had 4 12-packs of soda/water and 4 bottles of wine. I wouldn't have appreciated having to lug all that around for 2 hours. We had lunch and were back to our rooms by 12:30 & unpacked. We also had a special line in guest services, only had to use that once but it did save a bit of a wait. You also get priority debarkation. That was great to get off the ship and into the terminal to collect your luggage before there is a big crowd. In NYC we gathered our luggage, got to our car, and exited the lot without any traffic. We have purchased FTTF for both of our past cruises and found it to be very beneficial to us. We have it for our upcoming cruise in April and we have a tender port so will have that benefit too!

I do, when I sail SOLO, but if the lovely Mrs. goes along, there ain't no way. :eek: I like getting to the cabin and unpacking, and as noted above, then it's just fun, fun, fun for the duration of the cruise, rather than wait, wait, wait for the luggage to arrive.

"SKY"

DH & I each carry on an airline approved cabin sized rollaboard and (dh) a small knapsack and (me) a tote which later doubles as our beachbag in port. Even when we have FTTF we carry it on & off ourselves. If you've ever had lost luggage, you learn to keep it with you. ;) If we have FTTF we go to the room first and drop off. If not, we head to the lido and get lunch. Our bags roll under the table while we eat and do not cause anyone to trip over them. As far as disembarking with self assist, I truly think it should be restricted to only carry on size luggage. I have seen many people struggle and even fall trying to manage large multiple pieces of luggage. Not worth it, imo.

[quote}

Again...the ME generation raises its ugly head. Room hallways without platinum or FTTF are restricted until 1:30. I can imagine the chaos as 4000+ passengers think they are entitled to "sneak" into their rooms without paying for or "earning" the privilege. And now I'll step off my soapbox.

Again...the ME generation raises its ugly head. Room hallways without platinum or FTTF are restricted until 1:30. I can imagine the chaos as 4000+ passengers think they are entitled to "sneak" into their rooms without paying for or "earning" the privilege. And now I'll step off my soapbox.

Amen!!

I have no problem with the luggage draggers when we board or when we debark, EXCEPT the ones who want to drag their luggage off but don't want to leave when they're called. When they've called them an hour before and they're still lined up everywhere at 9am, it's irritating because they're blocking everything and make it impossible to catch an elevator because 2 people and their luggage take up the entire car. If you don't want to get off at the correct time (which is EARLY!!), then put your luggage outside the night before.

On our last cruise I walked around 2 sets of luggage draggers as we debarked. They, literally, had 2 large bags each with more bags piled on top of them, plus carry ons on each shoulder and cameras and purses. They couldn't walk and were seriously holding up the line for others. After we walked around them so did about 10 other people until they could get it together.