Breakaway First Day Lunch Choices?

familyofour

I don't think any of the extra fee restaurants are available for lunch at embarkation--well, except maybe Cagney's for the Haven folks. As stated above, Taste and Savor as well as O'Sheehan's will be available. I recommend one of those because the buffet tends to get overwhelmed and everyone is dragging around their luggage still. Go and have a nice sit down lunch. :D

Jen

I don't think any of the extra fee restaurants are available for lunch at embarkation--well, except maybe Cagney's for the Haven folks.

On the ships where Cagney's or Moderno is used as dining venue for VIP/suite passengers, it is not an "extra fee restaurant" at that time. Also on new megaships (like OP asked) there is a dedicated restaurant in Haven and Cagney's or Moderno is not used as such.

10672397_866905233320756_8987168911319315320_n.jpg?oh=98528539fe8620d1361b3c6a2ca99941&oe=554DC4F7

I was just looking at the Freestyle daily during our embarkation day (Aug 31, 2014).

Taste, Savor, Uptown Grill, O'Sheehan's and Moderno (Free lunch buffet) were also open during our cruise.

We were onboard around 11:30 AM so we went to the Garden Cafe' Buffet and it was pretty empty when we came in.

10672397_866905233320756_8987168911319315320_n.jpg?oh=98528539fe8620d1361b3c6a2ca99941&oe=554DC4F7

I was just looking at the Freestyle daily during our embarkation day (Aug 31, 2014).

Taste, Savor, Uptown Grill, O'Sheehan's and Moderno (Free lunch buffet) were also open during our cruise.

We were onboard around 11:30 AM so we went to the Garden Cafe' Buffet and it was pretty empty when we came in.

Has anyone gone to Moderno for the lunch buffet? Is is similar to their dinner salad bar, or is it food more like you'd find in the Garden Cafe?

Has anyone gone to Moderno for the lunch buffet? Is is similar to their dinner salad bar, or is it food more like you'd find in the Garden Cafe?

We went during the last sea day of our cruise. They had the German Themed buffet that has different selections from the main buffet.

I think during regular days the food will be more like you will find in the Garden Cafe. But I did not check it out so I'm not so sure.

The free Moderno lunch buffet on the BA last year was a last minute addition on Day 2 (full sea day) - chilly outside in the morning & majority "planted" themselves in the buffet, so over the PA system, they announced the opening to handle the overflow. Nothing like the dinner salad bar, etc. with surcharge as our nephew's ate there later on during the cruise.

Lunch selection was limited and duplicated some of the choices in the buffet upstairs, and were quick to run out - it looked like a catered event with the sterno fire heating the serving trays. We ate there as it was near closing time in the MDR for lunch & nobody felt like going back upstairs to look for seating & deal with the crowd again in the buffet.

I'm sure they've worked out a better system and are more organized these days, as it everything was self-service including wait for a clean glass to get beverages on your own.

It's not easy to feed 4,000+ souls onboard with nowhere to go and on the ship all day long, and being somewhat chilly - all the chair hogs became buffet hogs in not releasing seating for those needing a place to sit down and eat.

heard the pot pies at O'Sheehan's were very salty, even by TV dinner standards.

We had lunch at O"Sheehans on embarkation day. Service was very slow (we tried it one other day for breakfast- even slower). The beers were great, but the food (when it finally arrived) was just OK. So many rave about the chicken pot pie; of course I had to try it! The two small pieces of chicken in the dish were tasty, as were the few pieces of carrots and potato. But the dish was mostly cream sauce with the puff pastry crust. And salty.

Try Taste or Savor on the first day.

... The same thing happened to us on the Celebrity Eclipse on a cool rainy sea day ... playing cards and sitting all afternoon in the buffet area.

Very true, on our Carnival sailing, outdoors roped off due to waves :eek: We just eat, finish up & once done, let go of our table and chairs others to use.

... O"Sheehans on embarkation ... food (when it finally arrived) was just OK ... chicken pot pie; was mostly cream sauce with the puff pastry crust. And salty. Try Taste or Savor on the first day.

It always looked inadequately staffed at expected busy period @ O'Sheehans but it's going to the one of the closest ones to our stateroom, what to do. Maybe we should suggest/ask for a "low sodium" variant being offered to those health conscious passengers :rolleyes: - right ! (Hint, Hint - NCL) NCL's hot soups have always been bad with salt (inexpensive & heavy handed seasoning) & in the other days with the written survey cards, consistently #1 write-ins comment - seemed to improved lately & with fewer choices. Taste/Savor didn't open until 12 noon & we are usually onboard early so maybe we will just do a beeline to the buffet ahead of the mobs - since the MDR lunch menu will be the "same old, same old" for 7 days.

Taste/Savor didn't open until 12 noon & we are usually onboard early so maybe we will just do a beeline to the buffet ahead of the mobs - since the MDR lunch menu will be the "same old, same old" for 7 days.

I agree with you. MDR lunch menu is too boring... the "same old, same old". I hope they change it up a little bit...

When we got on board around 11:30 AM, MDR lunch was still close so the Buffet was the only option. It was actually pretty empty when we came in.

We were just on the feb 15,2015 sailing on Breakaway. O'Sheehans, buffet and Savor were open for embarkation lunch.

We went to Savor. The scallops prepared and served similar to the way you get escargot in Le Bistro were very nice [lots of garlic and butter]. We also really enjoyed their Philly cheesesteak. The calamari was also pretty good.

Breakaway October 15th, 2015. Uptown Grill was not open on embarkation day. I wonder if it varies from cruise to cruise?

img003_zpsfcb9e8bd.jpg

We also went to Savor for lunch. The Scallops were incredible!

Edited by ncklhaus