Safe/wallet

How safe is it to leave your credit cards and wallet in the safe while not in the room or off the ship? Do you take them with you?

We leave cash, wallets, jewelry, passports, etc. in the safe, both on and off the ship.

Your items are fairly safe in the hotel or cruise safe. I've never had a problem with a cruise safe, and that includes accidentally leaving it wide open last cruise and the steward had been in my room for turn-down.

Hotel safes can be accessed by security if they need (just like on a cruise), but don't forget that there are cameras in the hall ways and they can see if someone entered your room.

I don't travel with valuable jewelry or too much cash.

In 17 cruises, we have never had anything taken from our cabin, either in the safe or out. One thing we do, is make sure anything left out in the room isn't visible from the door. All jewelry, cash, passports, credit cards go in the safe. Our laptops and kindles do not.

DH travels for work and has never had any issues either.

Edited by BND

Whenever we are out of our cabin, all jewelry, cash, wallets, cell phones, and Bose headphones go in the safe. It's packed tight in there, but it's all secure. We've been doing this since the first time we sailed with a safe in the cabin, which I was DELIGHTED to find!!

We used to have safety deposit-like boxes at Customer Service. What a pain!

How safe is it to leave your credit cards and wallet in the safe while not in the room or off the ship? Do you take them with you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very safe. Much safer then leaving them out in the cabin and taking them ashore. The only crew member that could possibly get into your safe is head of security. I should know as my safe didn't work and my cabin steward had to call security who came down and replaced the battery that operates the safe. The only thing you should bring ashore is your cruise card, photo ID, just enough cash that you think you might need and maybe a credit card and keep in front pockets. Leave all other valuables in your ship's safe. Avoid wearing any expensive jewelry or watches or anything you would hate to lose or get stolen. Pickpockets or purse theft is always a possibility in any port of call.

It's very safe! 20+ cruises and never so much as a single missing item from our rooms. We put money, jewelry and credit cards in the safe, but we leave everything else out, such as cameras, phones, computers.

Same Here! :cool:

I take my driver's license, my one card that does not charge a "foreign currency" fee, plus lots of cash in small bills, when I go into a Caribbean port.

Exactly the same plus the sea pass card. :)

I have lost a sea pass card while at a port (it flew away while I was in an opened air bus in St. Thomas) and I was able to get back on the ship with only a few minutes of having to show id and getting approved.

Much more convenient then having to use the pursers desk! Remember those days...

Does that bring back memories. Having to go down to the purser's office so DW could get her jewelry for the evening. Now that they have safes, she doesn't wear jewelry anymore:)

Exactly the same plus the sea pass card. :)

I have lost a sea pass card while at a port (it flew away while I was in an opened air bus in St. Thomas) and I was able to get back on the ship with only a few minutes of having to show id and getting approved.

While snorkeling at Castaway Cay on a Disney cruise I found a drivers license and Key to the World card (room card) from the prior cruise. Always wondered how that person got back on the ship. We mailed them back to her from the little post office on the island:)

How does everyone feel about the safes at major hotels...domestic & international ?

I definitely feel safer using the safe on the cruise ship. After researching for hotel on our recent Med cruise was nervous about room safes in hotels when people reported cases that the whole safes were stolen out of the room!

I definitely feel safer using the safe on the cruise ship. After researching for hotel on our recent Med cruise was nervous about room safes in hotels when people reported cases that the whole safes were stolen out of the room!

I totally agree. I am very leery of hotel safes, I have read numerous accounts of people having stuff stolen out of their hotels rooms and safes. Beware.

We have left our cell phones on the desk to charge as well as our iPad. Never had a problem.

My wife and I forgot one digit in the code and could not open the safe last month. I called and security was sent up and asked me to observe his work to ensure that he had not taken anything. I then had to sign and print my name on a sheet of paper on the clip board with the time noted as well. Very professional and safe.