Solo Cabins Prinsendam

Evangaline

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the single cabins on Prinsendam. There was a recent review here where someone said the bed was more like a cot and the room was horrible and cramped. Apparently the price for this was high as well.

I am looking at a fairly lengthy voyage so a cot will not do. If I am looking at that, I will go camping instead. So any advice on these cabins or advice for solo traveler on the Prinsendam?

I stayed in the single inside on the Prinsendam, but have not so much as seen the single outside cabins. I don't know which ones you're thinking of booking, but will tell you what I can about the inside.

The bed in the inside single is one bed, the same size as 1/2 the queen beds on other ships, or in double cabins. I couldn't roll over, but certainly had sufficient room to turn. The mattress was comfortable.

Although the cabin was small, because there was only one bed in it, it felt roomier than the same (double) cabins along the passageway felt. There was room to place the table and chair along the wall that didn't have the 2nd bed. The desk and entertainment center offered sufficient storage, especially when added to the walk-in closet with shelving included.

The bathroom was more than adequate in size and storage.

The only thing I didn't like was that my cabin was roasting hot. No matter how often I complained about the lack of A/C in there, it never did get comfortable. I even had to put the ice bucket in the fridge to keep it from melting all the way down to warm water overnight. That problem should have been fixed by now---at least I hope so! They've had sufficient time!

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the single cabins on Prinsendam. There was a recent review here where someone said the bed was more like a cot and the room was horrible and cramped. Apparently the price for this was high as well.

I am looking at a fairly lengthy voyage so a cot will not do. If I am looking at that, I will go camping instead. So any advice on these cabins or advice for solo traveler on the Prinsendam?

I've always found Prinsendam's solo cabins priced higher than a double plus the supplement, never figured what the point of having them was. My advice is look at a double and decide if you can swing the price. The Prinsendam is always more expensive than other HAL ships but worth it to me.

Roy

Thanks for the great description of the single cabin. This is very helpful.

My other question about this ship is the feeling of ship movement. I ask as the ship seems to be on the smaller side. As well the itinerary I am looking at skirts the coasts of France and Spain on the Atlantic side which I have not done before, but imagine could be a bit rough.

Seaworthyness is probably 50% size and 50% hull design. Prinsendam is narrow at the bow with a well designed hull, that has less buoyancy than most ships in the bow and tends to "cut through", rather than ride up on the swells. It handles as well as much larger ships.

Roy

Thanks for the great description of the single cabin. This is very helpful.

My other question about this ship is the feeling of ship movement. I ask as the ship seems to be on the smaller side. As well the itinerary I am looking at skirts the coasts of France and Spain on the Atlantic side which I have not done before, but imagine could be a bit rough.

It isn't as much the size of the ship as the shape of the hull that matters. This ship doesn't ride the waves up & down; it cuts through them. As a smaller ship, that's lower to the water level, it doesn't catch as much wind on the sides, either.

I sailed her from Amsterdam up to North Cape, then continued further north to the Polar Ice Cap on my first cruise on her. Nice, smooth ride. My second cruise on her was in similar waters (over the top of Europe and down to Murmansk, then back around). I have no complaints about the ride.

Just confirming what has already been said previously, I've priced the single cabins on Prinsendam several times and always found standard cabins even with the single supplement to be both larger and less expensive - the reason defies me.

As to handling in rough weather, Prinsendam will at least match and probably exceed the comfort you'll get in larger ships.