Held hostage in Livorno port!!

Level six

This thread was very useful. I read the whole thing and I only have one question. If we are 5 people 3 adults and 2 kids), will we need 2 taxis (25 euros each) to go to the train station?

Has anyone taken a taxi all the way to Lucca

I have literally been obsessing over our DIY transportation plan for Livorno and this thread has left me equally encouraged and discouraged (if that is possible)! Hoping someone can clarify whether this is a new rule preventing all taxis from entering the port or whether it just seems it has been up to supply/demand/ship berth location/etc.

We are docking on HAL's Eurodam on a Wednesday in April from 7:00am - 7:00pm. Our plan (based on reading various threads on here) was to line up to depart the ship right at 7:00am and take a taxi to the train station with an expectation of it being around 25 euros as mentioned on this thread and elsewhere. If we get some folks to split it, great. If not - well, it's still cheaper than the $105 pp HAL wants to charge for bus service to Florence for the day! We have posted on our roll call and have several folks interested, so I am hopeful for the split (though worried since I have been leading the charge and it now seems there may not be taxis available).

We plan to take the 8:12am Trenitalia train to Florence, and then return on the 16:28 (4:28pm) train - either coordinating to once again split a taxi back to our ship or just paying the full 25 euros for the return ourselves. Would like to purchase our Trenitalia tickets online to avoid having to use the machine at the station, and so that we can have tickets in hand and simply validate before boarding, but am getting nervous about whether or not these are the right times and whether we should book given the mixed thoughts on whether taxis will be available...

I figured giving ourselves 1 hour and 12 minutes to get the taxi, get to the station, and validate our tickets would be more than enough time based on what I read. But now I am getting nervous that there won't be any taxis allowed into the port/pierside and we will need to plan on taking a shuttle to the gate as well?? If we have to take the shuttle to the gate, does it stop there to let people grab taxis or does it continue to the Piazza Grande and then you get a taxi from there?

We have as well.

Thank you for this and good to hear! My main fear was that we plan to pre-purchase our Trenitalia tickets for the 8:12am departure, and if we suddenly discover we have to also wait in line for a shuttle before we can get a taxi, well we risk missing that train.

I think we are just going to have to hope there will be taxis there, adjust in real time if there is not and get new train tickets if necessary, and just "roll wit the flow" as we have been advised to do. Fingers crossed!

I have literally been obsessing over our DIY transportation plan for Livorno and this thread has left me equally encouraged and discouraged (if that is possible)!

I understand you completely! I think it's more an issue of availability of taxis, especially availability of cabs that want to do the short trip to the train station. My plan is if there aren't any taxis to try to locate someone local who can call one for us. At least that's the plan. If all else fails, it sounds like we could just pay the $12-15 pp for the shuttle as a last resort.

Would love to keep hearing about the experiences in Livorno from those of you traveling in April and May.

I waffled back and forth on the transportation issue also. In the end we decided to pay the cruise line for their Florence On Your Own excursion. It hurt my frugal heart to have forked over $310 for a bus ride for 4 people. It also gave me complete peace of mind that we would have transportation right from the ship. This was the only port we are not using local public transportation or our own feet. Maybe if it was just me and another adult I would chance the taxi but I am traveling with my mom and 2 kids so this just seemed more prudent in the end.

Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know if HAL had a port shuttle? If so, what is the cost? We are most likely going to get a tour, but in case we don't, I'd like to know if the same $12 as mentioned on this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app