Rise in Tips ?

Josy1953

Just my luck - we are sailing on the 1st May so looks as though it will be £5 per person for us.

We always leave auto tips on and will do so again but I must agree that it is very embarrassing when envelopes are given out. Hopefully these people have removed the auto tip and are doing the right thing by the waiters. We would never do both.

Just my luck - we are sailing on the 1st May so looks as though it will be £5 per person for us.

We always leave auto tips on and will do so again but I must agree that it is very embarrassing when envelopes are given out. Hopefully these people have removed the auto tip and are doing the right thing by the waiters. We would never do both.

But those giving out envelopes, are they doing the right thing with the waiters'/cabin stewards' helpers? I think not . They are selfishly giving it to those only they see if they haven't kept the auto-tips on. Why be embarrassed - you are doing the honourable thing.

Why would someone want only to reward those they come into contact in the knowledge they are denying lower paid workers behind the scenes. Will it cause an outcry to say they might be trying to save money? Some are probably honourable and keep the auto-tips on as well. Why should this embarrass you - it's their choice.

But those giving out envelopes, are they doing the right thing with the waiters'/cabin stewards' helpers? I think not . They are selfishly giving it to those only they see if they haven't kept the auto-tips on. Why be embarrassed - you are doing the honourable thing.

Why would someone want only to reward those they come into contact in the knowledge they are denying lower paid workers behind the scenes. Will it cause an outcry to say they might be trying to save money? Some are probably honourable and keep the auto-tips on as well. Why should this embarrass you - it's their choice.

Because the auto tips only go to certain staff like your cabin steward and waiter. They dont reach the 'behind the scenes' people.

Edited by Big Stevie

Because the auto tips only go to certain staff like your cabin steward and waiter. They dont reach the 'behind the scenes' people.

Reception told me that that is not true but would not specify the categories. The only thing they would confirm was it didn't include a contribution to the running of the Captain's car!

My neighbour told me this afternoon that they always remove the tips and pay individually as they were told by their cabin steward that they don't actually get the money. Is this true?

I have read on other threads that some companies pay under the minimum wage then top it up with passengers automatic tips. Therefore the staff do better if you give them tips yourselves as they receive them PLUS their wages. I have also read that if you tip someone it has to be handed in and shared around!

Who knows what to believe? As others have said it would be best to have a standard fare and let passengers tip (or not!) as they please :rolleyes:

Reception told me that that is not true but would not specify the categories. The only thing they would confirm was it didn't include a contribution to the running of the Captain's car!

Extract from P&O website

100% of this amount is distributed to your cabin steward, butler, head waiter, assistant waiter or junior waiter that has looked after you whilst you are with us, this is distributed through our tipping pool.

Of course if you want to tip any other crew member in addition to this, please feel free to do so.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/gratuity

I believe those behind the scene receive a higher basic pay.

Brian

I'm not sure which staff benefits from the tip system but for p & o to govern and increase the auto tips suggest that their wage bill for certain staff is factor into the salaries and probably a big part of their terms and conditions.

Bob

Extract from P&O website

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/gratuity

I believe those behind the scene receive a higher basic pay.

Brian

Firstly, I can only go by what I was told by the Purser's staff, secondly the quote you provide seems a little strange in that it says 100% of go to .......then it adds they are distributed via the pool. Doesn't it seem a bit contradictory, and thirdly I know of no other industry that the junior staff earn more than the senior staff for whom they provide a service?

Who knows what the truth is, all I know is that auto-tipping seems to me to be the fairest system, other than cruise operators paying a living wage. I just believe that removing the auto-tipping suggests ulterior motives. Do the same people remove the percentage added to bar bills which I believe is possible? If they are so principled about waiters why not about bar staff? Or does it come down to money again?

Firstly, I can only go by what I was told by the Purser's staff, secondly the quote you provide seems a little strange in that it says 100% of go to .......then it adds they are distributed via the pool. Doesn't it seem a bit contradictory, and thirdly I know of no other industry that the junior staff earn more than the senior staff for whom they provide a service?

Who knows what the truth is, all I know is that auto-tipping seems to me to be the fairest system, other than cruise operators paying a living wage. I just believe that removing the auto-tipping suggests ulterior motives. Do the same people remove the percentage added to bar bills which I believe is possible? If they are so principled about waiters why not about bar staff? Or does it come down to money again?

Correct, it is money, then money again. (Why in their [ship's staff] pocket when it could be in mine?)

I have been a GR when a group of Brits were attempting to remove prepaid gratuities (a gift from their TA), so they could purchase cigarettes and liquor from the ship's duty free.:eek:

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Another point occurs to me about removing the auto-tip in favour of envelopes for wait staff. Is the envelope given for 7 dinners a week at a pre-assigned table only, what about 7 open breakfasts, 7 open lunches, afternoon teas, buffet food on deck, eating in the pub, the self service etc, etc. Many of these staff might be denied a tip if the auto-tip is removed? Doesn't seem right!

I wish all the tips were included in the original price with tipping being actively discouraged. Pigs might fly!

Another point occurs to me about removing the auto-tip in favour of envelopes for wait staff. Is the envelope given for 7 dinners a week at a pre-assigned table only, what about 7 open breakfasts, 7 open lunches, afternoon teas, buffet food on deck, eating in the pub, the self service etc, etc. Many of these staff might be denied a tip if the auto-tip is removed? Doesn't seem right!

P&O are quite clear where the auto-tips go - which is basically where the envelopes traditionally go.

The auto-tips do cover the issues of tipping with the new option of freedom dining where the end of cruise envelopes can't really work.

Edited by Dryce

Yeah, the biggest issue I have with this whole concept is the implied obligation, particularly the double tipping. A tip in my mind should be an additional thank you for exemplory service. If I go to a restaurant and get a fanstastic meal and service, I tip accordingly. If it's mediocre, rushed, and without that personal touch, I just pay the bill. I should be free to do the same here, and certainly not have staff "hovering around" waiting for their envelope when you have already been billed for one set of tips as part of their basic wage.

I'll not be taking any envelopes aboard. I would have tipped for good service anyway if I wasn't already getting billed for it, but I'm not going to be emotionally blackmailed into giving two lots of tips out because people are waving envelopes about. A tip is a bonus, and a bonus is not automatic. Handing out envelopes demeans the first bonus (billed) to something taken for granted rather than a genuine show of appreciation.

First thing you should understand is that the "tip" on a cruise holiday is not actually a tip but the major part of the hotel staffs wages, just like American waitresses rely on their "tips" to make their wage up to acceptable standards.

Second thing is, if it were incoropraterd into the cruise price the company accountants would need to add the usual overhead charge to it, which in most large companies is at least 100%, which would of course double the cost.

So the moral of my story is just pay the auto tip, give extra if you think someone deserves it, or if it makes you feel better, but don't worry if you don't.

But be aware if you continue to demand change to make it fit your accepted idea of tipping it will end up costing you, and more importantly me, more money.

First thing you should understand is that the "tip" on a cruise holiday is not actually a tip but the major part of the hotel staffs wages

Which gets to the nub of the issue. It ceases to become a tip but a service charge.

Which is why this whole thing goes round and round every time there's news or questions about it.

I think within the UK at least there should be suitable regulation that declares the pricing up front. That is where anything is automatically added to your account the agent or operator has to include it in the headline price - not leave it to the small print in Ts & Cs or FAQ.

It could well be a wow if several cabins did that in addition to the auto-tips. I don't know how many tip on top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, but it would appear from this thread, it is we, who pay gratutities and give extra, are actually subsidising those who deliberatey avoid paying, or giving.

Parasitic tightwads?

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Great beliver in tips being included in the up front price like thomson, you never see anybody queuing to remove them on the last day there.

If it was on all lines the staff would be on a win win senario and may be the total price would come down.

tips if you prepay them before the increase you will not have to pay the extra.

Could be worse on a 14 day RCCL cruise it is £224 for two.NCL £252 + 18% added to drinks bill.

Have alway prepay tips to get the hassle out of the way.

Last P&O cruise two couples in inside cabins opposite ours cancelled there tips and gave £20 Between them.

how do i know, was at reception checking my OBC and also when they left the ship.

Pity that they are not treated like airlines and have to show the hidden costs on the invoice.

Trouble is P&O, Like most lines are Foreign owned by countries that are used to tipping. We are like the Australians and not used to it.

Would it not be great if the government made all tips/grats/service charges included in the price like VAT.

Solve all problems on tipping.

j

Agreed, but it would appear from this thread, it is we, who pay gratutities and give extra, are actually subsidising those who deliberatey avoid paying, or giving.

I don't care.

We figure how much we want to provide. It's more than the auto-tips. If we paid the auto-tips (we take them off and only use envelopes) then we would top up.

But that's because we appreciate the service we've had. The staff have always been very good and made us want to come back again.

Past that other people can do what they want. I'm not going to judge as it's none of my business.

I do think there is a problem - that the real cost of the tickets has fallen - the side effect of this is that the tips start to look disproportionate against the headline cost for some people.

Parasitic tightwads?

That's a very harsh statement.

But of course totally accurate.

I never post my exact feelings about those who avoid tipping.

If I did I suspect I would not be around long.

Dai