Last time with Princess. EVER!

wrm1701

I really want to know where people who complain about the food on Princess eat during their day to day lives.

You and me both.

Food gripers, care to be specific? Michelin three-stars? Olive Garden? Where?

MacDonald's and Burger King most likely but no one will listen to any complaints at those places.

Originally Posted by iceleven viewpost.gif

I wish Princess didn't assume Americans would accept European standards in regards to linens and such. I prefer a top sheet over a duvet (too hot to sleep under.) .

I never knew that was a "European" thing :confused:. DH and I sleep under only a duvet all year around, at home and abroad. We've stayed in hotels and slept on top of the top sheet under the duvet.:p

I guess that's why none of our room stewards have confused us with Americans ;).

I really want to know where people who complain about the food on Princess eat during their day to day lives.

Mom is a fabulous cook. Or it's the spouse. Chef BoyArDee? My daughter is a great cook. She has the ability to taste something and then recreate it later. She has already done a couple of things we had at Sabatini's which came out just about identical (IMO). Notice how people who complain about Princess food don't often compare it to something else? "That fish was worse than Long John Silver's." It's usually just, "The fish was horrible." They are also critical of everything, it seems. " Everything was inedible." I don't pay much attention to food reviews (since it's pretty subjective) but I especially don't pay attention to those where they hated everything.

I really want to know where people who complain about the food on Princess eat during their day to day lives. I mean seriously, I want to come live with you and eat where you eat, because it must be some banging good chow. I love eating out and eat all over the world. I have had a few misses on Princess, dish by dish, but overall, it compares very favorably to good restaurants one would find in New York, Los Angeles, Sydney or London. If you drill down to specialization, a steak on Princess will never be Peter Lugar's, nor will the seafood be the Oceanaire Room or Shaw's, but taken across an entire cruise, the depth and breadth of offerings are very good and very well executed.

That being said, if you are going to complain about the food, or anything else for that matter, specifics are helpful and clarify what is a matter of preference versus what is actually poorly prepared food.

Oddly enough, I have never sat at a cruise table where I left a dish partially eaten without the waiter asking if I did not enjoy it and could they bring me something else.

I agree with you. I have only returned one thing I didn't like. Once, I tried a cold soup....the cold soup did not work for me. I quickly changed to for something else and had a great meal.

You and me both.

Food gripers, care to be specific? Michelin three-stars? Olive Garden? Where?

Olive Garden is pretty darn good. I love their soup and salad for lunch. I always ask for Romaine lettuce in the salad instead of iceberg. As for where do I eat? Well, I cook a lot because I enjoy cooking. If I have anyone to blame about the taste and quality I have to blame myself. I'm not that creative to come up with 1,000 ways to cook sausage, and to have it every day is quite boring. I'm hoping this won't be the case on the Crown next month.

for. I'm not that creative to come up with 1,000 ways to cook sausage, and to have it every day is quite boring. I'm hoping this won't be the case on the Crown next month.

That sausage thing really bothered you, didn't it? :) MY SIL would eat any kind of sausage for every meal of his life if he could, so he would have been happy on that cruise. Maybe they will have switched to bacon when you get to that next cruise. :)

OK... after reflection:

Entertainment wasn't "terrible" but was lacking and unoriginal

I stand by the MDR though... They couldn't cook a soft boiled egg - they tried 4 times and it is on the menu.

We enjoyed Cafe Caribe.

We enjoyed the BBQ / Chili items added to the Grill.

Scoops was great as usual.

Our room steward was top notch.

I would change the thread title if I could but it won't let me...Guess shouldn't post right after getting off the phone. :)

I'll certainly give you credit for this post! It's seldom that you see anybody come along and say, in effect, "You know, at least in part, I was wrong!" Good for you! Hope you give Princess another try. Come up to Seattle and cruise to Alaska. We'll try to please you at the pier before you even depart so you'll be feeling good before you even get on the ship! :)

Tom

Out of curiosity I started to read this post. Obviously the OP was not satisfied with certain aspects of his cruise and, in a state of frustration, made statements he now regrets, at least to some extent. I am sure that we have ALL at some point not been 100% thrilled with every cruise, be it something like towels, food, noise or whatever. We have had taken 2 cruises on NCL and would not take another. One was a relocation cruise from Hawaii to San Pedro and the crew was mainly Americans. Need I say more...lazy and not very accommodating to guests. The other we, and many others,got sick from the food and spent the last 2 days in bed. Not a good experience. We can probably find something we don't like on each cruise and with every cruise line but it is how we react to it that will either make you enjoy the cruise or not. Although we won't take another NCL cruise ( and yes I know others love NCL) we still had a better time than staying home and working. So let's not be as judgmental and just enjoy the privilege we have to at least be able to cruise and experience other places and meeting new friends. I hope you all have great health and many more years of travels ahead.

Out of curiosity I started to read this post. Obviously the OP was not satisfied with certain aspects of his cruise and, in a state of frustration, made statements he now regrets, at least to some extent. I am sure that we have ALL at some point not been 100% thrilled with every cruise, be it something like towels, food, noise or whatever. We have had taken 2 cruises on NCL and would not take another. One was a relocation cruise from Hawaii to San Pedro and the crew was mainly Americans. Need I say more...lazy and not very accommodating to guests. The other we, and many others,got sick from the food and spent the last 2 days in bed. Not a good experience. We can probably find something we don't like on each cruise and with every cruise line but it is how we react to it that will either make you enjoy the cruise or not. Although we won't take another NCL cruise ( and yes I know others love NCL) we still had a better time than staying home and working. So let's not be as judgmental and just enjoy the privilege we have to at least be able to cruise and experience other places and meeting new friends. I hope you all have great health and many more years of travels ahead.

It's probably useless because people have read the OP's post and immediately posted, but anyone who gets this far, please let this thread die.

I wish Princess didn't assume Americans would accept European standards..

I wish Princess would not use European food terms, e.g. croque monsieur, which are neither a term common used in the US nor something which would be even vaguely recognisable to a European completely different that which a European would expect from the description.

I also find it strange that the main course at dinner is called a starter (entré), but both a things I recognise is inevitable when dealing with an international clientele.

I wish Princess would not use European food terms, e.g. croque monsieur, which are neither a term common used in the US nor something which would be even vaguely recognisable to a European completely different that which a European would expect from the description.

I also find it strange that the main course at dinner is called a starter (entré), but both a things I recognise is inevitable when dealing with an international clientele.

This keeps you awake at night? :rolleyes:

Olive Garden is pretty darn good. I love their soup and salad for lunch. I always ask for Romaine lettuce in the salad instead of iceberg. As for where do I eat? Well, I cook a lot because I enjoy cooking. If I have anyone to blame about the taste and quality I have to blame myself. I'm not that creative to come up with 1,000 ways to cook sausage, and to have it every day is quite boring. I'm hoping this won't be the case on the Crown next month.

Mmmmmmmm Olive Garden Never Ending Pasta Bowl. I'm down!

Sent from my D2-927G using Forums mobile app

Originally Posted by iceleven viewpost.gif

I wish Princess didn't assume Americans would accept European standards in regards to linens and such. I prefer a top sheet over a duvet (too hot to sleep under.) So each cruise we have to ask for a light blanket and top sheet, both of which should be standard bedding. It creates more work for the steward, as well.

I don't recall having a problem with washcloths but if Princess were to discontinue offering them, I would bring my own. Hopefully it wouldn't come to that.

I've cruised three other cruise lines and always had a top sheet andnever had to ask for one. Maybe Princess is simply trying to save on laundry and avoiding the extra piece of bedding.

Every one of my Princess cruises have been a disappointment in the bed department because of their rock-hard beds and I know I am not in the minority with this complaint. I always end up using the duvet as a pad under my sheet to soften the bed, at least a little.

QUOTE]

Difficult to understand why you keep cruising Princess and not one of the other 3 lines, you could save yourself the awful pain of having to ask the steward to remake your bed with a sheet.

Of course at the same time you could ask him for an eggcrate to soften the mattress up.

Before Princess started their mattress replacement program I always used to get one, don't need to now though, they seem much better.

Difficult to understand why one needs to be relegated to another cruise line because one shares a minor complaint. And a egg crate is your answer to a rock hard bed? They.don't.work.

If Princess didn't listen to all of the complaints, here and elsewhere about their horrible beds, they wouldn't be replacing them on a regular basis. We lucked out on our cruise last week and got a nice bed with a pillow top. Thank you Princess for listening.

It is a personal choice whether you want a top sheet or not. If only a minority of passenges want them then why would they put them on all the beds and then have to remove them again? Much easier just to do it for the ones who want it.

Not all duvets are hot. There are many types with many different ratings of warmth. I have 3 different ones at home for different times of the year.

As for wash cloths, I certainly don't want to use one thats been wiped over someone elses nether regions, regardless if they are laundered or not.

Where do you think the towels are wiped over? I never use a wash cloth for any reason other than to wash my face in the morning. I never wash my nether regions with it. Wouldn't think to do it. Towels however do dry off many a nether region. :D

Where do you think the towels are wiped over? I never use a wash cloth for any reason other than to wash my face in the morning. I never wash my nether regions with it. Wouldn't think to do it. Towels however do dry off many a nether region. :D

I have never seen a single makeup stain on either a washcloth or a cloth napkin on Princess. They must bleach the heck out of them when they are washed. Maybe that's what's happening to them...they are getting bleached into rags.

TMI? LOL. :D The wash cloth thing between Americans and Europeans has always puzzled me. Why do you need them? How in the world do you get along without them? :)

Thanks for the discussion and "concern" about the fact that other people may have actually used wash clothes as intended. That is to wash the human body!

If that disturbs you I should warn you not to sleep on the bed in room D229 on the CB. That was a honeymoon suite for us, and I will spare you the details of what happened there!

Edited by schlot

Thanks for the discussion and "concern" about the fact that other people may have actually used wash clothes as intended. That is to wash the human body!

If that disturbs you I should warn you not to sleep on the bed in room D229 on the CB. That was a honeymoon suite for us, and I will spare you the details of what happened there!

Great humorous response.

I have never seen a single makeup stain on either a washcloth or a cloth napkin on Princess. They must bleach the heck out of them when they are washed. Maybe that's what's happening to them...they are getting bleached into rags.

I agree. Every washcloth I've ever seen on any cruise ship was very white and very fluffy. Perhaps some of them are getting a bit ragged on some ships? I have seen some hand towels a bit thin and ragged. That really doesn't bother me as long as they are clean. I do use my own personal "scrubbie" that I bring from home. I can't see how just rubbing soap around the skin can get rid of the day's grime but to each his/her own.

And Schlot, glad you had a wonderful honeymoon. ;)

TMI? LOL. :D The wash cloth thing between Americans and Europeans has always puzzled me. Why do you need them? How in the world do you get along without them? :)

Don't know about Europe but Brits call them face flannels.