Buying euros

grandgeezer

For anybody that buys euros to take on their cruise, I would suggest looking now. This morning I got 250 euros for well less than half the conversion fee I paid for 200 euros last October. 250 euros for $277 usd. We aren't actually cruising until the middle of October.

For anybody that buys euros to take on their cruise, I would suggest looking now. This morning I got 250 euros for well less than half the conversion fee I paid for 200 euros last October. 250 euros for $277 usd. We aren't actually cruising until the middle of October.

Did you get the Euros at a local bank, or some sort of currency exchange?

I spent some time this morning researching dollar/euro forecasts for the next few months. While forecasts are "best guesses," the trend seems to be even more favorable each month, at least through June 2015. The economic events in Europe and strong dollar are continuing to influence the downward trending rates.

Rates now are certainly more favorable than a few months ago!

A local bank. I considered waiting, but no matter what happens, I'm extremely happy with what I got.

Thanks for the heads up. I may take advantage of the low rate now for a trip we have planned later this year.

they may drop further, official excange rate is 1.06, lowest in 12 years.

or they could go up tomorrow

I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it, but I searched for currency exchange companies, and the few I found had rates closer to what I paid, no where near 6%. They might be out there, I just couldn't find them in the little time I spent trying.

In general, the best way to buy foreign currency is at ATMs after arrival in the country. That way, you receive almost the full exchange rate.

Agreed. I just like to have about 100 Euros before I leave, just in case my ATM card somehow stops working. At least I can get a taxi to the hotel then.

Agreed. I just like to have about 100 Euros before I leave, just in case my ATM card somehow stops working. At least I can get a taxi to the hotel then.

I was in Paris for a few days last year, and the first time I tried to use my debit card to get some cash from an ATM, the ATM, for some reason, decided to not give me any cash and keep my card. Thankfully, my wife was successful in using her card at a different ATM to get some Euros. Otherwise, we might have been in a bit of trouble.

The current interbank exchange rate is $1.0543/€.

You paid $1.108/€ or 5.1% over the current interbank rate, good rate for a US bank.

Wells Fargo quoted $1.1212/€ for the day, 6.4% over the interbank rate. I do not know what is up, Wells Fargo usually marks up euro about 5.5%

Visa reports their debit card rate as $1.085891/€ for all transactions submitted March 11, although card issuers may charge more. http://usa.visa.com/personal/card-benefits/travel/exchange-rate-calculator.jsp