Cruise Critic Community
tomkat50

Wurzburg or Rothenburg????

Have not been to either city. A tour of the Bishop's Residenz is included in the morning in Wurzburg. Would you take the afternoon tour to Rothenburg or just use the free time to explore more of Wurzburg?? Also, I assume it would be a bus ride there. How long would that trip be?

Tough choice. We have visited both places (briefly) and want to visit both again. It's about 45' ride between Wurzburg and Rothenburg, maybe an hour in a bus...we took full advantage of the no-limit sections of the Autobahn!

I would personally stay in Wurzburg to explore more, but you probably can't go wrong with either choice. Believe it or not, we've been to Wurzburg twice now and still haven't made it to the Residenz. One of our favorite activities in Wurzburg is standing out on the old stone bridge at sunset with a glass of wine. They even have a carry-out bar at one end of the bridge. Beautiful setting!

It comes down to whether you want to spend 2h on a bus, when you could be spending those 2h exploring Wurzburg. You can get a brief overview of Rothenburg in a half-day but you will most likely leave feeling like you want more. Brief overview of multiple places? Or more in-depth exploring in one place?

I did a blog of our 2013 trip where we visited both Rothenburg and Wurzburg. The link is in my signature, on the line for the June 2013 river cruise that was canceled. That may give you some more ideas of what's in each town, and may help you decide where to spend your time.

I did this on a Uniworld cruise in 2011. Personally, Rothenburg was my favorite of all the towns we visited on the cruise. I went back and reviewed my blog from the trip, and it was about an hour bus ride from Wurzburg. I wouldn't miss Rothenburg if I had the chance to go back.

Pretty much all we did in Wurzburg was visit the palace and did a wine tasting. Not sure what else there is to do there, you might do some research and see if anything catches your eye.

It also depends on whether this is a once in a lifetime trip, or something you do often, where you might go back another time and see Rothenburg.

This is probably a "once in a lifetime trip", as my bucket list is pretty lengthy! I have a hard time going back to places I've seen already, when there are new, exciting places yet to be explored! You both bring up why I'm so undecided....bus ride vs. missing an adorable German city! Totally structured afternoon vs. laid back on your own kind of day! I hate these kind of decisions! Loved your blog jpalbny...very detailed.

Since you say that you probably won't revisit the area... I sympathize with your having to choose one or the other!

Rothenburg is the quintessential German walled medieval city, and it's well-preserved, and very much worth the visit - it's the well-known tourist stop along the Romantic Road. I would go back and stay there next time we visit.

Wurzburg is charming too but bear in mind that much of it was destroyed during WWII and subsequently rebuilt. It's more spread-out and less touristy IMO, and maybe less "authentic" than Rothenburg. Still, there's plenty to do there in a free afternoon. The Festung Marienberg is well worth the visit. And you can't beat the atmosphere of the old bridge at sunset.

We are hoping to have another week in Germany later this year and your question has made me wish it was sooner! The "problem" with this region is that every town is charming, and you only have so much time to visit.

Another thing to consider when trying to answer your question - I suspect that most people you talk to after your trip is finished will express disbelief if they hear that you had the chance, but didn't visit Rothenburg. They won't blink an eye if you skipped free time in Wurzburg. Not that I necessarily agree with them, but...

Good luck choosing between these great options!

Possibly more research into what else you might want to see in Wurzburg. Being on a cruise, you won't have the flexibility like you would if you were on your own and could explore the town.

I agree with the statement by jpalbny, " I suspect that most people you talk to after your trip is finished will express disbelief if they hear that you had the chance, but didn't visit Rothenburg. They won't blink an eye if you skipped free time in Wurzburg. "

If I were going back and had to choose between the two, I would 100% choose Rothenburg! But that's just me! I am a bit of a history buff, and prefer the atmosphere of the little midieval town

Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions. I think I'm leaning towards Rothenburg....but maybe I'll let my husband make the final decision!!

I did a blog of our 2013 trip where we visited both Rothenburg and Wurzburg. The link is in my signature, on the line for the June 2013 river cruise that was canceled. That may give you some more ideas of what's in each town, and may help you decide where to spend your time.

Enjoyed your travel blog, jpalbny! Thank you for sharing.

We are contemplating 2 choices for a 2016 trip: Budapest to Vienna (cruise/Melk Abbey & Wassau valley) to Munich (and then the Romantic Road)

or

Budapest to Vienna (cruise/Melk Abbey & Wassau valley) to Dresden (rent a car and tour along the Elbe: Dresden, Bad Schandau, Saxon Switzerland Naional Park for the Bastei cliffs, Decin).

Both routes are amazing with much to see. Tough decision. I am wondering if anyone has driven along the Elbe from Dresden to Decin, Chezk Republic.

Think I will start a new thread and enquire. :)

Thanks for the comments. Dresden and the Elbe intrigue us too. We will be back in Germany this fall taking delivery of a new Audi but we will probably head south to Switzerland instead of North. Too many choices! Well follow your other thread with interest.

My vote is for Rothenburg. We have done both on our own, and Rothenburg remains one of our favourite places!

Jpalbny, I've been reading your blog about your cancelled river cruise and interested in the places you went on your land tour. We are taking a cruise next year and Wurzburg is one of our stops. Before the cruise we plan to take 4 or 5 days before having to be in Passeau, fly into Munich and visit lower Germany/Austria. I notice you pick up cars and return and use the train. Is there a reason you did not keep a car? Trying to decide to use Munich as a stopping place for a number of days and use trains or just rent a car.

From our past experience of living in Germany for 3 years, Rothenburg is classic old-style Germany and a magical place to visit. We used to take visiting friends there or recommend they visit it. Not been to Wurzburg, but our recollection of comments from friends who have seen it, agree with others on this thread. Rothenburg is a lot of fun just to walk around taking in the German culture.

Jpalbny, I've been reading your blog about your cancelled river cruise and interested in the places you went on your land tour. We are taking a cruise next year and Wurzburg is one of our stops. Before the cruise we plan to take 4 or 5 days before having to be in Passeau, fly into Munich and visit lower Germany/Austria. I notice you pick up cars and return and use the train. Is there a reason you did not keep a car? Trying to decide to use Munich as a stopping place for a number of days and use trains or just rent a car.

Hi terpshockey77,

We have visited this area (Bavaria/Tyrol) both ways - by car, and by train. Each has its merits.

We did take a few trains on the trip you're reading about for convenience, but when trains weren't convenient, we rented cars. Because we were making the trip up on the fly at the last minute, cars weren't always conveniently available when/where we needed them, thus some of our convoluted trips, partially by train, in order to find a car rental... And, if we only needed to make a day trip it didn't make sense to keep the car for a longer period of time, pay for parking, etc.

In general, trains work wonderfully for city visits because you get dropped off at the station, which is usually right in the center of town, and you don't have to worry about parking. For smaller towns, and for visiting multiple places out in the countryside, cars are easier. But there are ways to visit almost anywhere using public transport if you want...

We have also toured the area in our own car (European Delivery from Audi) and that is such a fun way to travel the region... We enjoyed that trip so much that we're planning another for later this year. Driving in Bavaria and Austria is pretty straightforward and certainly not something we avoid. Parking is generally available without issues. I was lazy and did not do a blog for that trip. A shame, as it was fabulous!

Depending on where you want to visit from Munich, you may find that a combination of car and train makes sense. Tell us where you want to visit, and I'm sure that we can give lots of suggestions... For example, Ludwig's Castles are probably easier by car if you want to see them all in one day, on your own, at your own pace. But if I were staying in Munich and wanted to visit Ingolstadt, or Augsburg (for example), I'd just hop on a train.

Either a car, or the train system, allows you lots of flexibility. Enjoy it, whichever way you choose! There are so many amazing places to visit that 4-5 days will feel insufficient. So you could even consider staying in Munich, and making it up as you go along.

Thanks, Jpalbny. I'm leaning toward the castles, Salzburg and possibly Innsbruck but the more I read like your blog, the more places I'm adding to the list. After reading this thread I want to see both Wurzburg and Rothensburg but if we do that we would only have a morning and afternoon because of the cruise. We do want to see the Alps and the cruise ends in Basel. Is there any place in Bavaria you consider a "do not miss." Hope this will be the first of many trips but who knows what the future holds.

Thanks, Jpalbny. I'm leaning toward the castles, Salzburg and possibly Innsbruck but the more I read like your blog, the more places I'm adding to the list. After reading this thread I want to see both Wurzburg and Rothensburg but if we do that we would only have a morning and afternoon because of the cruise. We do want to see the Alps and the cruise ends in Basel. Is there any place in Bavaria you consider a "do not miss." Hope this will be the first of many trips but who knows what the future holds.

Ah, the paradox... The more your read about Bavaria and Austria, the more there is to see! As I said earlier in this thread, every city and town here is charming, and as we read guidebooks, we find that we want to see all of them too.

Of your choices, the castles are great, Salzburg is still on our list, as is Innsbruck (though we have visited Reutte and Leutasche nearby). It killed us on that trip to take the train to Salzburg, only to rent a car and promptly leave. We will be visiting next year on our Danube cruise.

So - what's a must see / don't miss stop? Gosh...there are so many! Neuschwanstein I guess. Getting dinner and soaking in the atmosphere at a Biergarten in Munich, when it's so packed that you can barely move. I was amazed at the opulence of the Residenz in Munich. Taking the ferry across Chiemsee in the morning was breathtakingly beautiful. Any mountain view on a clear day - whether reached by hiking, or cable car - when the weather looks good, go for it!

One more piece of advice - do not try to see everything because it's just not possible. We spent 2 weeks in and around the area in 2013 (the canceled Danube cruise), another week on the Rhine Cruise in March 2014 (not Bavaria, I know), and a week in May 2014 with the European Delivery. We visited an astounding number of places over these trips. We are currently planning another week this fall, and we still have far too many sites on our list left to see - so we're already having to cut the itinerary down to size.

Pick some highlights, plan a few more things than you can see in your time frame, and give yourself some flexibility. Once you're there, let the weather and your mood make some of the decisions for you. If you have half the fun we did, you will be planning your next visit as you fly home. :)

Edited by jpalbny

Thanks again, Jpalbny. I'm reading you blog an entry or two a day and just read about the cable car last night. Again, that sounds like something to add to the list. The blog on the ferry also caught my eye but I think that may be if we have time. Since I'm new to river cruising I'll ask do passengers take independent tours like on cruise ships? I'm considering trying to find a way to Rothensburg to spend more time there.

You certainly can go off on your own, and some do. IME it tends to be less common than on ocean cruises, but certainly can be done.

We tend to divide our time between the tours offered by the River boat company (especially if they include admission to a place we want to visit), but we have no issue with leaving the tour early and heading out on our own to see other places we want to visit.

The German train system is cheap, reliable, fast, and easy to use. I'd have no qualms about using it to visit a city near a boat stop on my own. For instance, I just checked trains traveling between Wurzburg and Rothenberg tomorrow. The journey is 1h08 with one change, 13.30 Euros each way per person, and trains run hourly, all day.

I would advise those exploring DIY to have the exact dock address written down in case time constraints require a taxi as well as the ship's and CD's phone numbers. We DIY a lot, never had a problem, knock wood, but . . .

I would go to Rothenburg...we happened to be there during a Medieval Festival and had an absolutely marvelous time. The people were dressed in period costumes, there were displays of medieval tools, punishments, life as well as loads of delicious food, mead and beer. And if there's no festival, the town is lovely with fantastic cafe's and shopping.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Great thread. I've been pondering this question too, although I'm not going until September 2016. We're on Tauck, and the description says they dock in Wurzburg in the afternoon, and we can either take a bus to Rothenburg, or stay in Wurzburg and see the Residenz, a baroque palace. Wurzburg has the obvious advantage of no bus ride. I guess we can revisit this issue next year, lol!

Update... We'll be in Germany this fall doing a European delivery with Audi. We're going to spend a few days in Würzburg on arrival, to see some of the sights we missed on prior visits. It will also be a good base location for a side trip to Bamberg, we think, before heading off to the West for a few more stops nearer the Rhine. Who knows... Maybe we'll visit Rothenberg too!

We are traveling with people who have difficulty with a lot of steps and/or hills. Is it hard to walk around Rothenburg? We would prefer to go there instead of spending the day in Wurzburg, but it depends on the terrain.

Update... We'll be in Germany this fall doing a European delivery with Audi. We're going to spend a few days in Würzburg on arrival, to see some of the sights we missed on prior visits. It will also be a good base location for a side trip to Bamberg, we think, before heading off to the West for a few more stops nearer the Rhine. Who knows... Maybe we'll visit Rothenberg too!

Bamberg is a lovely town......as is Rothenberg and Wurzburg. I've been to all three on our first river cruise. If I had to put them in order I'd go Rothenburg, Bamburg, Wurzburg.....but they're veryverytclose!!!

We are traveling with people who have difficulty with a lot of steps and/or hills. Is it hard to walk around Rothenburg? We would prefer to go there instead of spending the day in Wurzburg, but it depends on the terrain.

I don't recall any difficulty walking around Rothenburg. (and for me it's an issue)..it's pretty flat, very quaint with lots of sidewalk cafes to sit at and places to shop. Given a choice I would pick Rothenburg over Wurzburg but not by a lot. Keep in mind Rothenburg is NOT walking distance from the docks. In fact, if memory serves it was about a 30 minute ride on a chartered bus, but it was well worth the trip.

We had a great day exploring Werzburg and could go back to she ship for lunch. Easy walk along the river and the bridge and its statues were fun. Even had a glass on "new" wine on the bridge.

the palace was very nice too and we had loads of time to explore the grounds and lovely gardens. Shopped in department store just to see what it was like.

however our friends who did the trip to Rothenburg said we missed the "best" city on the trip!