Cruise Critic Community
tomkat50

Wurzburg or Rothenburg????

We had a great day exploring Werzburg and could go back to she ship for lunch. Easy walk along the river and the bridge and its statues were fun. Even had a glass on "new" wine on the bridge.

the palace was very nice too and we had loads of time to explore the grounds and lovely gardens. Shopped in department store just to see what it was like.

however our friends who did the trip to Rothenburg said we missed the "best" city on the trip!

There's just something about Rothenburg.....it's what comes to mind whenever you think of quaint European town. :)

We have been to both twice and prefer Wurzburg.

ROTB is charming and like a postcard but Wurzburg is full of history and the Palace of the Archbishop was very much worth a visit.

If cute and charming are what you are after, ROTB. If you are after more than that, I would choose Wurzburg.

I lived in Wuerzburg while in the Army. They have two places to see, which we did, ut Rothenburg was always our favorite. It is a great city to visit any time of the year. Trip there is well worth the time. Food is great. Beer is great and people are nice. I wish I could go with you. Would love to go back..

I actually just got back this week from the Grand European Tour on the Viking Baldur, and I did the tour to Rothenburg. I don't know if this will help at all, but I did write up a blog post about my experience in Rothenburg. I'm finishing up the blog for the rest of the cruise but at least the post for Rothenburg is complete. I loved Rothenburg and it probably was one of my top days in Germany since it was an easy little town to walk around.

https://travellindsay.wordpress.com/2015/05/24/day-10-wurzburg-germany-rothenburg/

I have the same choice to make- on our cruise in May. I was in Rothenburg 49 years ago when I was an exchange student in nearby Heilbronn. I want to go back and show it to my husband!

We did both on 2015 on the Viking Grand European Tour.

I would have preferred spending more time in Wurzburg as I felt rushed going through the Bishop's Residenz (never saw the gardens). The Residenz is extraordinary, one of the highlights of the cruise.

My wife enjoyed Rothenburg. It has the largest Christmas store in Germany (the world?) I was a little jaded since we started our trip with a visit to Bruges, which, unlike Rothenburg, bans vehicles. It is worth seeing if you haven't been to Bruges.