Help getting from LAX to Anaheim then to San Pedro

Conanc

Hi,

We're flying into LAX and want to go to Anaheim to spend an overnight at Disneyland before a cruise out of San Pedro. What is the drive like from LAX on the freeway to Anaheim and then back to San Pedro? We'd be driving from LAX to Anaheim on on the Sunday before Columbus Day and driving to San Pedro on Columbus Day itself. Which car rental company would be recommended for an easy return back to the San Pedro pier area? If we decide not to drive we'd consider the "Disney bus" from LAX to Anaheim but it looks like Supershuttle only does airport-hotel. Does anyone have suggestions on getting transportation from Anaheim to the pier in San Pedro?

Thank you so much!!

Nancy

I am a local here, and don't rent a car around town too much. I would think that Enterprise Rent-A-Car would seem to probably be your best bet, but don't know the specifics.

I don't know if you have driven Southern California freeways, but they can be a bit of a grind. Try to avoid rush hour as you will be going from one side of LA (LAX) to Anaheim. That being said, there really aren't any great times to drive it. The 405 freeway south to Long Beach, and then get on the 22 Freeway Eastbound to Anaheim (Harbor Blvd) helps you to miss most of the downtown LA traffic. Even though it is only 40 miles, it may take you a couple of hours during peak traffic times.

San Pedro is back across towards LAX, but you stop just pat Long Beach going the other way.

Hope that helps........peak times are about 6 AM to 9 AM and from 4 PM to 630 PM.

Driving to Anaheim on a Sunday should not be too bad. It will be heavy traffic but should move along at the usual 65-80 mph. Be sure you are very clear about how to get to Disneyland off the 405...it can be a little tricky. You may save some time taking a short detour from the 405 (San Diego Freeway) north on the 110 (Harbor Freeway) to the 91 (Gardena Freeway) and using that to get to Disneyland. You can either take the Gardena to the 5 south and then get off at S. Harbor, or take the Harbor Blvd. exit off the 91 and drive south on Harbor Blvd.

Although Monday is Columbus Day, traffic can still be very heavy as many businesses do not have this as a holiday. I would plan to be on the freeway only between 10:00 AM and 2:00PM...no earlier or later. Give yourself at least 45 minutes to drive to the port from Anaheim.

Enterprise is the only car rental company that has an office close to the port.

Thanks everyone for the information. We decided against renting the car. We are going to take a taxi or Super Shuttle from Anaheim to the pier. I checked with two cab companies and Supershuttle and it will cost approximately $50 for us to do this.

In this case, would you advise making transportation pickup time at around 10:00 a.m. from our hotel?

Thanks!

Archived