Museum Attack in Tunis

Mura

I was shocked to hear about the shootings at the Bardo Museum this morning. We visited there when we took the "non-Libya" cruise on Regatta in Nov '05. It's one of the most beautiful museums we've ever seen. It's not particularly large but it has some of the most stunning mosaic artifacts.

So far it appears that most of the dead were tourists, mainly European, I think.

My prayers are with the survivors and the friends and families of the victims.

Mura

Andee, I should have mentioned how safe we felt in Tunis at the time. We were a group of 8 on one of those 8 person "executive vans" -- when you could afford to hire them! -- and had a wonderful day. We started out at the Bardo and saw a number of sites before visiting Carthage towards the end of the day. We had a wonderful guide -- who did not like Libyans at all, even then! Apparently (from what he said) the Libyan border guards were as difficult with Tunisians as they would have been with U.S. citizens.

It was a wonderful day that I still recall in great detail, and it breaks my heart that this happened today.

To think that the Arab Spring started in Tunisia ...

Mura

Andee, I should have mentioned how safe we felt in Tunis at the time. We were a group of 8 on one of those 8 person "executive vans" -- when you could afford to hire them! -- and had a wonderful day. We started out at the Bardo and saw a number of sites before visiting Carthage towards the end of the day. We had a wonderful guide -- who did not like Libyans at all, even then! Apparently (from what he said) the Libyan border guards were as difficult with Tunisians as they would have been with U.S. citizens.

It was a wonderful day that I still recall in great detail, and it breaks my heart that this happened today.

To think that the Arab Spring started in Tunisia ...

Mura

We visited Tunis on Splendida (which was one of the two ships in port today) back in 2009. We were watching the events with an an "attached" feeling today. I'm now following the thread on the MSC board.

As this terrible news unfolds with confirmed loss of life, including I Just heard on the news, a British woman, I do wonder how these people must have felt yesterday morning, all excited going off on their excursions, to maybe somewhere that was a long time wish to visit - and then this ....... this could have been any of us, on our shore excursions from any cruise ship.

Thoughts and prayers to all those affected by this tragedy.

As this terrible news unfolds with confirmed loss of life, including I Just heard on the news, a British woman, I do wonder how these people must have felt yesterday morning, all excited going off on their excursions, to maybe somewhere that was a long time wish to visit - and then this ....... this could have been any of us, on our shore excursions from any cruise ship.

Thoughts and prayers to all those affected by this tragedy.

I read on Travelmole, apparently it seems more than two dozen passengers are "missing". The MSC Splendida waited until midnight, I believe, and the Costa also waited for its thirteen passengers but then left. Both companies have representatives liasing with the authorities. I am not inclined to be dissuaded from travelling to problem areas, but I always had an ill feeling regarding Tunisia. These attacks were targeted against the tourists. Keep them in your prayers if they are alive. Can you even imagine how frightening it would be? You set out in good faith to enjoy the day. Life is short, and difficult enough. Why can't there just be peace?

I feel for the people involved in this attack. I can't understand why the fanatics chose to attack innocent tourists.

There are many areas in the Mediterranean/mid-East area that I would love to see, but the ongoing turmoil and political unrest just make it too dangerous for me to consider.

I feel for the people involved in this attack. I can't understand why the fanatics chose to attack innocent tourists.

There are many areas in the Mediterranean/mid-East area that I would love to see, but the ongoing turmoil and political unrest just make it too dangerous for me to consider.

The ISIS people attack "innocent tourists" because they want to harm the tourist industry in a particular country and therefore destablilze the government, reduce revenues, get people out of work and have more recruits for ISIS.

The best thing any of us can do is to continue with our plans to visit these countries and support them. that, I realise, is hard. But if we don't - the ISIS terrorists will be in our own backyards.

I know Tunisia quite well having been there several times and having worked with their National Ministry of Heritage. ("Patrimoine") It is a wonderful country and the Tunisians are as upset - or more, a lot more - about what happened than any of us.

With an attitude like that one might as well stay home and even then one may not be safe. Let's remember terrorist attacks in London, Madrid, Paris, New York and Boston - none of these are exactly in the Med or Middle East.

Unfortunately, it is a sad and a dangerous world we live in today.

Just watch the evening news in any major American city.

Edited by Paulchili

There are places where there are all out demonstrations or whatever PC words they use...I would like to avoid them, but we have all lived a long and happy life. We just booked Istanbul to Rome. Lots of Sicily in the middle. Not the most peaceful place on earth, but one has to go on with life. OMG we see kids destroyed just going to school. We need to fill our buckets...which presumably are already in good order. Go for it...we will be behind you!

... The best thing any of us can do is to continue with our plans to visit these countries and support them. that, I realise, is hard. But if we don't - the ISIS terrorists will be in our own backyards...
Agree completely.

We recently returned from a 3-week land trip (Tauck) to the Middle East where we visited Israel and Jordan. We knew the risks of traveling to these parts at this time and took that into consideration in our planning. When we learned that ISIS had killed the Jordanian pilot, we had a few restless nites and did think about cancelling the whole trip. In the end, we decided to proceed and are very glad we did. Our itinerary included the usual tourist spots in both countries, as well as some less traveled places, some of which could be considered hot spots. At no time did we feel threatened or ill at ease. We were greeted with spontaneous "welcome" by locals everywhere we went. They were very appreciative that we were visiting their countries.

We are vigilant travelers at the best of times and this trip wasn't much different. We plan to continue to work our way through our travel bucket list, with due consideration to world events and an understanding of our own personal risk, but without the inertia of fear.

There are places where there are all out demonstrations or whatever PC words they use...I would like to avoid them, but we have all lived a long and happy life. We just booked Istanbul to Rome. Lots of Sicily in the middle. Not the most peaceful place on earth, but one has to go on with life. OMG we see kids destroyed just going to school. We need to fill our buckets...which presumably are already in good order. Go for it...we will be behind you!

Caroldoll - I don't think you will find Sicily particularly dangerous. Unless of course Etna blows up!

and MightyQuinn - In turn I agree completely with what you said above.

Edited by Hambagahle

We are booked on a Nile River Cruise this fall. Concerned, yes, very, will be very careful and alert. Survived a year & Tet in Saigon a long time ago, so I just have to keep hyper vigilant again. I think if it is too dangerous the ships won't sail and the State Dept. will warn us against it.

We are booked on a Nile River Cruise this fall. Concerned, yes, very, will be very careful and alert. Survived a year & Tet in Saigon a long time ago, so I just have to keep hyper vigilant again. I think if it is too dangerous the ships won't sail and the State Dept. will warn us against it.

I was just thinking of the odds. Driving a car in the USA, gun violence, particularly driving on the Garden State Parkway, NJ Turnpike or the Cross Bronx Expressway. vs. a little trip to Egypt. We do buy an occasional lottery ticket don't we? Then again we could hide in the Jersey Pine Barrens. They say life is not a dress rehearsal. So on with the show.

Bill, just as one example ... the other night in Newark, NJ (I think it was Newark) a guy just started shooting at a convenience store. I haven't read anything that gave a reason for why he started shooting, he just did. He injured an elderly woman who was just going out to get a quart of milk! (Fortunately not seriously.)

So, yes, these things can happen anywhere. I know we all wish that they did not!

Mura

Looks like they targeted the cruise line tour buses. Costa has 13 passengers missing. The Daily Mail has pictures of the costa tour bus with bullet holes in the window. Just horrible.

As horrible as it sounds, the missing are probably deceased. The ships do not really have the ability to deal with an event of this kind. For friends and families of the victims, this is unspeakable horror. Our prayers are with them.

Mary

At least some of the missing may well be wounded and in hospitals, perhaps in a coma or otherwise unable to be identified immediately. And based on the news reports, the Costa passengers were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The terrorists intended to attack the government building next door, but were prevented from getting in. So they attacked nearby tour buses and the museum next door instead. Horrible.

Edited by JPR

Our thoughts and prayers also go out to the families and passengers affected by this horrible event. While it is sad to cancel this port, it is something that I hope that happens soon as safety is the most important thing.

While reading this thread, it is interesting to read that some people that were terrified of going to certain ports are suddenly open to doing so. I suppose that tragedy has a different effect on different people. As for us, we would still go to almost every port in the world that Oceania or Regent would go to. Being afraid is, IMO, a very sad thing. If we had been afraid of visiting ports that the cruise line deemed safe, we would have missed some of the best experiences of our lives.

After reflecting on different attitudes towards travel and safety I find that somewhere you have to find a balance. I'm not going to cower at home in fear of every little thing, but I'm not going to jump out of an airplane without a parachute either.

The problem is when something like this happens in a place that you expect to be safe. Perhaps we need to look at what is safe with a new set of parameters.

Have driven around tunesia for a week about 5 years ago. Wonderful country and people. Same with morrocco, Jordan, Egypt, India, Nepal and a good part of Africa. Even visited Damascus 5 years ago. Another beautiful country and people. Frankly there's danger almost everywhere. 25 years ago we were in Great Britain and Ireland during the "troubles". But seeing the world and meeting fascinating and interesting people is one of the most fabulous memories one can have.

Just to put this into perspective... I worked at 3 different offices in downtown Manhattan in 2001 doing IT tasks for my company. One was in WTC 2 on the 44th floor. I happened to be at our Exchange Pl. office around the corner when the attacks happened. I was finishing something up and had plans to check into the WTC office after lunch for some small items. After witnessing the horror in first person, was able to make the long tearful 100+ block walk back up to my apartment on 96th St. That experience (I was 23 years old) changed me a lot for the better I think as I did some serious thinking about how precious our time on Earth is...

It can happen anywhere, anytime, when you least expect it. And you can't prepare for something like that. You just need to accept that someday "that could be you" but don't let that keep you from living life and doing things (prudently) that you want to do. God Bless those folks caught up in this and keep traveling folks!