Navigator - dress code actually enforced!

Oh c'mon, are you REALLY going there? I don't think a cocktail dress & heels would be allowed for men either - and I sure don't see anything unfair about that. :rolleyes:

It's a serious question. Women in shorts A-OK, Men in shorts bad. Why the double standard? Shouldn't all these women be turned away too?

I saw that comment and knew right off that shorts are alive and well in the CL :) Actually, on my Jewel cruise-I was an offender once or twice.:o Not daisy dukes though!! Although so were others too. I felt-half the time, there was no room in the lounge and we were sitting outside in the hallway/Yacht club and figured there was no dress code out there!!! :D

As in all things Royal, it depends. The biggest factor is the Concierge him/herself. Some are real pushovers on almost all things and some run a very strict lounge. Thinking of one in particular who would absolutely have a fit if someone came into "HIS" lounge at night with shorts (or if he saw someone take food without tongs:eek:). After 11 years in the same lounge he is currently transferring to another ship so I guess we will not see him anymore;)

Oh c'mon, are you REALLY going there? I don't think a cocktail dress & heels would be allowed for men either - and I sure don't see anything unfair about that. :rolleyes:

Now that's when things would get really interesting.

IDK and I've learned not to ask those kinds of questions:confused::p Life is safer that way.:D

It's a legitimate question though. Everyone keeps saying "contract, sign, rules, responsibility". Oh, that only applies to men. That's rather sexist, is it not? Why is it okay for a sexist double standard to exist?

I have been trying my best to wear shorts to dinner on Royal cruises. First, I went online to a phony accreditation site and had my shorts certified as "Emotional Support" shorts. It worked for a while, but I was eventually told that "Support" shorts really did not qualify and meet the standards. I am now in the process of finding a doctor that will certify them as "Service" shorts.

Just doing my best to keep this beaten horse thread going!

You forgot to promise to not feed your "service" shorts from the table. Or, did you forget to have them trained to not snap and bark at other passengers?

It's a serious question. Women in shorts A-OK, Men in shorts bad. Why the double standard? Shouldn't all these women be turned away too?

Sorry, but I refuse to take it seriously as a legitimate or reasonable argument.

Women in cocktail dress & heels A-OK, Men in cocktail dress & heels bad. Why the double standard? Shouldn't all these women be turned away too? :rolleyes:

It's a legitimate question though. Everyone keeps saying "contract, sign, rules, responsibility". Oh, that only applies to men. That's rather sexist, is it not? Why is it okay for a sexist double standard to exist?

No, minimum acceptable dress applies to both. If you've been reduced at this point to your best argument being that identical dress codes should apply to men & women, than I think you've lost. ;)

Sorry, but I refuse to take it seriously as a legitimate or reasonable argument.

Women in cocktail dress & heels A-OK, Men in cocktail dress & heels bad. Why the double standard? Shouldn't all these women be turned away too? :rolleyes:

Your comparison to cocktail dresses is a real stretch and doesn't pass the sniff test here because:

A - Cocktail dresses are permitted on all evenings

B - Cocktail dresses are primarily worn by women and not men, whereas shorts are commonly worn by both genders.

So again, why is it okay for RCI to enforce a policy only against one gender? That's gender discrimination and sexism. If they are going to have a policy, AND enforce it, shouldn't all the women in shorts be turned away too along with the men? The sign says "No shorts". Women routinely are admitted in shorts. Men are not.

You could either ignore the question or take a stab at answering it. It's an entirely valid question. I will keep asking it until someone has a reasonable response.

No, minimum acceptable dress applies to both. If you've been reduced at this point to your best argument being that identical dress codes should apply to men & women, than I think you've lost. ;)

Lost what? I don't entirely follow you today.

Your comparison to cocktail dresses is a real stretch and doesn't pass the sniff test here because:

A - Cocktail dresses are permitted on all evenings

B - Cocktail dresses are primarily worn by women and not men, whereas shorts are commonly worn by both genders.

So again, why is it okay for RCI to enforce a policy only against one gender? That's gender discrimination and sexism. If they are going to have a policy, AND enforce it, shouldn't all the women in shorts be turned away too along with the men? The sign says "No shorts". Women routinely are admitted in shorts. Men are not.

You could either ignore the question or take a stab at answering it. It's an entirely valid question. I will keep asking it until someone has a reasonable response.

It's not a valid question at all. Different dress & different acceptable dress for various occasions for women vs. men has been the norm for longer than either of us has been alive. Keep asking, that won't make it any less specious or any more legitimate.

It's not a valid question at all. Different dress & different acceptable dress for various occasions for women vs. men has been the norm for longer than either of us has been alive. Keep asking, that won't make it any less specious or any more legitimate.

If the sign says no shorts, shouldn't it mean no shorts for both men and women?

No.

Women are required to wear swimsuit tops, shouldn't it apply equally to men and women? Sexism! Discrimination! :rolleyes:

The sign on the MDR says "No Shorts". Does this apply to men only? Or does it apply to men and women?

We were on the Navigator in February. Dress code was enforced as far as shorts for both males and females. To be honest, I would have far preferred to see men in nice shorts as opposed to women in dresses two sizes too small for them with their breasts hanging out. Neither one of those scenarios, however, has any effect on my enjoyment of my cruise.

As in all things Royal, it depends. The biggest factor is the Concierge him/herself. Some are real pushovers on almost all things and some run a very strict lounge. Thinking of one in particular who would absolutely have a fit if someone came into "HIS" lounge at night with shorts (or if he saw someone take food without tongs:eek:).

I agree but this just goes to show that some CL's are no different then some MDR's. Some you can , some you can't. Although lately, dress codes are easing up everywhere weather some like it or not.

Food without a tong, :mad: heck, I'd think any RC employee would have something to say on that and should!!:eek:

Let your freak flag fly but don't touch that potato puff with your hands for gods sake!! ;)

The sign on the MDR says "No Shorts". Does this apply to men only? Or does it apply to men and women?

Yes, that sign applies to both men and women. Are only men turned away? NO, as I've seen both women and men in shorts in the MDR on many occasions. As far as my experience, women were not admitted while men were routinely turned away.

Hairy legs and ugly toenails is the difference. Drag queens probably would look perfectly fine in shorts.

LOLOLOLOL

We can agree on hairy legs and ugly toenails, but there are plenty of women who should never be seen in shorts, or revealing dresses for that matter!

And don't even get me started on the women who bath in perfume rather then take a shower!:eek:

LMAX makes a good point.

As I noted yesterday, last month on Allure we saw plenty of people in shorts in the MDR.

I didn't find anything about the MDR so over the top. The decor was nice. The food was alright. Service was...not great. It was actually pretty hectic feeling because of the amount of people and commotion. Other than noticing some people in shorts I wasn't bothered in the least. I don't know why anyone is bothered. I don't think the MDR on Allure qualifies as anything remotely approaching fine dining or a strict requirement of formalized dress code.

Also, unlike other lines I have been on, apparently Royal Caribbean the dress code ONLY applies to the dining room and many go back and change after dinner to be more comfortable in the evening. So it's all just a farce to sell photo sets as far as I can see.

Everyone, just do as you please and mind your own business and just be happy that you are healthy and wealthy enough to afford these types of vacations and don't waste so much energy or mental anguish over what others do.

If you're a nice person you are welcome at our table. Not only do I not care what the label inside your clothing says, I am not the least bit impressed. We will still have an enjoyable conversation.

Best-

Steve

I'll talk to Steve during dinner

I suppose for the same reason men can sit around the pool topless but not women?

Although I did ask earlier about men in cocktail dresses

There are several dress code threads going on, so I might be getting them mixed up. Did someone really say they would not talk to someone at their table who was not dressed to their standards? That is just sad. I hope to never be on a cruise with you.

I am also fed up with the judgmental holier than thou tone of this site, especially over an issue as petty as someone else's posts. Even if the post you were commenting on wasn't in jest, that poster is entitled to thier opinion, as you are entitled to your's. Your post is the one I see as being judgmental.

You're fed up, and you're accusing others of judgmental postings by judging them:confused:

Wow!.

It kinda' works both ways on this blog. People get offended by how people dress and others are offended by those that are already offended. There's really never shortage of the offended around here. :D

...and there's never a shortage of this either. Sorry for picking on your comment but some things never change. :D

Would agree with you.

Perhaps RCL should add to their dress code suggestions 'once on the ship, mind your own business'.:D