Tipping more than prepaid

MNCruizer1

When is the appropriate time to tip someone? Like the steward..I have never cruised before so not sure how often you see them. But if I want to tip him/her at the end of the cruise..when is the right time? And tipping the waiter/waitress..is it ok to wait until the last night? Or is etiquette if you want to tip..to tip nightly ? I will be doing the prepaid gratuities but just want to know how to tip over that. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thank you

If you leave on your pre-paid tips then you would want to tip on the last night. An envelope with the tip and your cabin number and name is a perfect way to present it. Or you can hand the cash to the person but they would still be required to report it.... just in case you took off the other tips.

I leave the tips in place and then hand them an envelope on the last evening with the above info.

If you leave on your pre-paid tips then you would want to tip on the last night. An envelope with the tip and your cabin number and name is a perfect way to present it. Or you can hand the cash to the person but they would still be required to report it.... just in case you took off the other tips.

I leave the tips in place and then hand them an envelope on the last evening with the above info.

Gratuity is Tip. No need to tip anyone if you or the cruise line or your TA has prepaid gratuities. If you are convinced that someone had gone far and above in terms of service, an additional gratuity is reasonable.

But, never tip before a service is rendered (that's called a bribe and it is so "bush league") nor should you insult a ship's officer by offering them a gift or money.

Gratuity is Tip. No need to tip anyone if you or the cruise line or your TA has prepaid gratuities. If you are convinced that someone had gone far and above in terms of service, an additional gratuity is reasonable.

But, never tip before a service is rendered (that's called a bribe and it is so "bush league") nor should you insult a ship's officer by offering them a gift or money.

Thank you. That is what I was thinking..just wanted to know the right way in case I feel someone did an amazing job or was really great.

If tipping our waiter over and above, what is the typical amount? Per day?? Always have done anytime dining but wanting to do traditional with same waiter every night

Tipping is a very personal issue, and everyone's answer might be different. However, you've asked and this is my reply: If you feel you want to tip extra - over and above what you have already paid either with pre-paid tips before you left home, or using the auto-tip/service charge/hotel charge that is daily charged to your account, $20.00 might be a good place to start. We tipped our last cabin attendant an extra $20.00 in an envelope, at the end of the cruise because she was fantastic. She seemed to appreciate it. :)

Having said that, $20.00 might seem high to one person and low to another. As I said, it's a personal issue but I would go for one additional tip, in an envelope, with a hearty hand shake and "Thank you." on the last day/night.

Thank you. I realize it's a personal issue, and yes have prepaid my tips, and going on a short 4 day cruise. It's my mom's 80th birthday and her first cruise (she doesn't know yet, her kids pitched in to gift it) so we will be covering her tips as well. So if they go above and beyond to recognize her special day, I'd like to give a little more.

ONe thing to consider when giving an additional amount, and I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other. First off, these staff members are not relying solely on your family's tips - your cabin steward, for instance, may be responsible for 10, 15, 20 cabins, etc. So their pay is based on tips from 2 people per cabin, and of course, not getting stiffed by any passengers. The other thing to remember, is that while these workers are not making great money based on US/CA standards, they are making good money compared to what they would be making in their homelands, otherwise, they would not be doing what they do. I'm not trying to use that logic to be cheap in any way, I'm just saying that while we may be used to making $20 an hour or more, they likely are not and probably don't expect it either. $10 an hour may be great money to them. I do agree that these workers should simply be paid a fair salary for their work and get benefits as us North Americans generally get. I don't like the current system of the cruise line paying their workers very little themselves, then expecting the passengers to make up the shortfall.

On a cruise, tips are traditionally offered on the last evening....so wait until the end of the cruise, and extend any "extra" tips at that time. For things like room service, tipping is done at the time of service. But for cabin attendant, waiters/ass't waiter and head waiter, the last night is when you tip.

If tipping our waiter over and above, what is the typical amount? Per day?? Always have done anytime dining but wanting to do traditional with same waiter every night

It depends on what you think. We've done everything from nothing extra to $20 extra to double the standard.

We had a bartender on our B2B who got an extra $200 from us at the end of the cruise--he was that good.

Don't forget about room service, the runners are usually volunteers working for a little extra tip money. A couple of dollars per order is greatly appreciated .

Definitely! I tip $2 for a pot of tea, $5 for full breakfast or lunch for one or two, and $10 or more for a full dinner for two.

Definitely! I tip $2 for a pot of tea, $5 for full breakfast or lunch for one or two, and $10 or more for a full dinner for two.

I am glad you are so generous. Since as you have said, I do not make as much as the nurses who took care of my wife, I cannot afford to be so generous.