New Policy at Sydney Overseas Cruise Terminal

robtulipe

The word is it was never allowed, but just not completely enforced.

Princess, P&O and Carnival followed the policy. Celebrity and RCL didn't but have been brought into line.

It was certainly allowed when we cruised from Sydney to NZ, back in 2009. We boarded mid-morning on Day 1 and were allowed off again that day. We had an overnight stay in Sydney and our ship moved during the night, from the Overseas Passenger Terminal to a buoy near Taronga Zoo.

On Day 2, we were allowed back and forth to shore, ferried by the boats that do cruises on Sydney Harbour, until All Aboard at 4 pm. The ship sailed at 5pm.

It was certainly allowed when we cruised from Sydney to NZ, back in 2009. We boarded mid-morning on Day 1 and were allowed off again that day. We had an overnight stay in Sydney and our ship moved during the night, from the Overseas Passenger Terminal to a buoy near Taronga Zoo.

On Day 2, we were allowed back and forth to shore, ferried by the boats that do cruises on Sydney Harbour, until All Aboard at 4 pm. The ship sailed at 5pm.

That would be a different issue I would think - as it appears your cruise ship was also your overnight "hotel" - therefore you would be able to go back and forth. I believe, even five years on -it's still the same for ships that are used as a "hotel" for a night. (Board one day- sail the next) Which is different than same day sailing.

Referring to being allowed by the authorities, rather than RCL/Celebrity.

As said, the others enforced it whereas they didn't.

That would be a different issue I would think - as it appears your cruise ship was also your overnight "hotel" - therefore you would be able to go back and forth. I believe, even five years on -it's still the same for ships that are used as a "hotel" for a night. (Board one day- sail the next) Which is different than same day sailing.
From an immigration point of view, there's no difference between:-
  1. someone checking-in and boarding a ship at 12 noon, and then wanting to go ashore before returning to the ship before it sails at 10 pm;
  2. someone checking-in and boarding a ship at 12 noon on day 1, and then wanting to go ashore on day 1, and again on day 2, before it sails at 10 pm on day 2;
  3. someone checking-in at Melbourne, sailing with the ship to Sydney and arriving at 12 noon, and then wanting to go ashore before returning to the ship before it sails for Auckland at 10 pm.

Whatever policy has been put in place will be for some body's convenience rather than because it's legally impermissible.

Do they let you off the ship if you are on a B2B??:confused:

Yes, IMO, since on all of the B2B we've done, you must actually disembark the ship using your old ship's card and re-board using your new card, the one you'll get onboard for the next cruise. Once re-boarded with the new card then one likely wouldn't be allowed off again.

• 6 months later...
Can you still drop off your luggage early, then walk around and board later?

I have the same question. I sent email to RCI and ask for the earliest luggage drop off time before checkin the cruise. They replied me that luggage can only be checked-in once the passengers begin the process of check-in and embark the ship due to security reason.

This is my first time with RCI. Is that true we cannot drop off the luggage at Sydney Passenger Terminal before my check-in time ? Thanks !

We were in the situation where our ship arrived Day 1, on Day 2 we formally disembarked and went through customs/immigration. We had sailed from NZ

On Day 1 we bought a replica boomerang from a stall in the Rocks Market

On Day 2 I was advised on disembarking I was being fined for importing an undeclared item into Australia and not declaring it and the item was being confiscated.

It was only through the intervention of the cruise lines duty manager in the terminal neither happened.

The customs official could not accept that I was not importing the item

This year, the Sydney economy will suffer as I will buy nothing there that might offend a brainless customs guy until I fly to my next stop....

Edited by uktog

We were in the situation where our ship arrived Day 1, on Day 2 we formally disembarked and went through customs/immigration. We had sailed from NZ

On Day 1 we bought a replica boomerang from a stall in the Rocks Market

On Day 2 I was advised on disembarking I was being fined for importing an undeclared item into Australia and not declaring it and the item was being confiscated.

It was only through the intervention of the cruise lines duty manager in the terminal neither happened.

The customs official could not accept that I was not importing the item

This year, the Sydney economy will suffer as I will buy nothing there that might offend a brainless customs guy until I fly to my next stop....

I don't believe it was the man's fault, but the exceptional situation.

I believe by law because you had not cleared customs anything brought in at that point had not been declared.

Similarly you can 'bring in' through Customs alcohol and other duty free items that you purchase on arrival, yet have not been through Customs yet.

i.e. it is not the physical location where it is bought, but that you have been on an international trip, and things need to be declared that you have with you regardless of where bought before you clear customs.

Ideally you would clear customs on arrival - which would be consistent with what people expect. But if they do that everyone has to present all their luggage on day 1 - which would be more annoying to many people. Hence they try to do what is more convenient - but which causes this complication.

I have just discovered this topic and I find it confusing. I am joining P&O Aurora in Sydney next February 20th. The ship arrives early morning from New Zealand and a number of passengers embark for the cruise to, in my case, Singapore. Our Cathay Pacific flight from London Heathrow via Hong Kong arrives at 7.30am so we expect to board Aurora mid morning. Aurora sails for Brisbane the next evening the 21st. Will I be forced to stay aboard the ship looking at all the Sydney attractions I want to visit :confused::confused::eek:

The ship berths in the circular quay area on the 1st day and anchors the 2nd with tenders to shore.

Edited by davecttr

I have just discovered this topic and I find it confusing. I am joining P&O Aurora in Sydney next February 20th. The ship arrives early morning from New Zealand and a number of passengers embark for the cruise to, in my case, Singapore. Our Cathay Pacific flight from London Heathrow via Hong Kong arrives at 7.30am so we expect to board Aurora mid morning. Aurora sails for Brisbane the next evening the 21st. Will I be forced to stay aboard the ship looking at all the Sydney attractions I want to visit :confused::confused::eek:

The ship berths in the circular quay area on the 1st day and anchors the 2nd with tenders to shore.

No problem getting on and off the ship on days 1 and 2.

This only relates to same day departures.