Shorts in Ports?

Sam - although you will find, especially in Scandanavia, that more male grown-ups wear shorts than they do in much of the rest of Europe, it still isn't that common for older and "more prosperous" men (you know what I mean I think, as I (patting stomach) have been called "prosperous"). No one will be aghast, run screaming from you or make you feel uncomfortable, but you will certainly be immediately identified as American if you do. I have packed some tropical weight khaki pants to wear, on that theory. It's been over 10 years since I was in Scandanavia, however, so perhaps things have changed. Best wishes!

Shorts and t-shirts is definitely not how we who live here in Stockholm would dress for the city, unless we are very young. But today you can dress casually in Baltic ports. This time of the year our cities are full of tourists, both from other parts of our country and from abroad, and particularly last summer, which was unusually hot, most visitors dressed very casually.

However, this summer has started quite cold, temperature this morning was only 40, and even if some sunshine during the day made it a bit warmer it was still not warm. I don’t think we will see a really hot summer this year, but the weather can still change. So do bring some warm clothes also, you may want them.

Archived