Best Cruises that are Quiet

Tnet

I agree, the balcony, especially if you have the sun is the best place to be. I have been told that music around the pool Is what the passengers want. I have never been asked, has anybody else?

That's a great question -- thanks for reviving this thread. On my recent cruise, I noticed many pax around the pool wearing their own headphones. I wondered at the time how many were noise-cancelling headphones to mute out the music (mine were). That said, the music was fairly soft and easy to mute.

Your question remains, though: do people actually want music at the pool, or do the cruise lines only think people want music at the pool?

If you're the type to go outside on top deck and want some modicum of peace, then avoid Princess. The giant screen mid-ship plays very loud sound (for movies and/or music videos) which some may find to disturb an otherwise-peaceful experience.

This was our experience also. Plus on the Regal the ship's horn plays the Love Boat theme, so additional noise. I don't think the music was 24/7, but we did find our February Carnival cruise surprisingly quieter than our October Princess cruise.

There should be quiet areas on any ship, but they may not be where the OP wants to spend their time.

All of the above are mass market lines. Beyond noise, there are other issues of mediocre food and being nickel /dimed for every little thing. Check our premium lines like Oceania - a truly civil experience with great food, evening piano bar at Martini's, classical string quartet in main lobby and decent yet non-obtrusive shows after dinner.

But bad experiences can happen anywhere. A good friend of mine took his first Oceania cruise a few years ago and called me when he returned to say he would never travel with them ever again because there were loud, obnoxious people (to quote him "every other word was the F word") around the pool every single day. Just because someone has money to afford an expensive cruise doesn't mean they have the manners to behave. He had cruised just about every main stream line and had never experienced anything like that. He moved up to Regent and hasn't had any issues.

To Unibok. I get up early and enjoy coffee and toast outside in the pool area. Sometimes I have the pool area to myself but STILL Music? Is playing.

Yes, CHAMON, same here!! There were just a few of us in the very early mornings enjoying the peacefulness on the deck above the pool, awake for the sunrise as we sailed toward port. Music wafted up from the empty pool area below. The music was mellow enough to keep it from being truly annoying, but in the early morning hours it was completely unnecessary. There must be an on/off switch that never.turns.off.