Was told by room steward his new contract doesn't include daily gratuity

garyss7

Just to make post clear, I asked him about it, he didn't bring it up at all. He mentioned his last contract was better than this one. Do they include daily service charge in contracts?

On the same note: what do you do, how much do you earn, and exactly how is it derived? Do you get bonuses, if so, how much? Does your compensation package include insurance, company vehicle, cell phone, stock options?

I'm dying to know what your gross income was for 2014, so it'd be nice if you can give us a YTD comparison to 2015.

=======

This is the only public forum I have ever read where people think it is any of their business to even know (or ask) what the employees offering a service may earn. I hope I don't have the misfortune to get stuck next to such meddlesome folk on my vacations.....at least I have the ability to excuse myself, walk away, and end any further interaction with them.

=======

Just to make post clear, I asked him about it, he didn't bring it up at all. He mentioned his last contract was better than this one. Do they include daily service charge in contracts?

...and with this statement, we're off to the races!:D

I'm curious. Do you always make a habit of asking people about their salaries or just people who clean up after you?:mad:

Bottom line is you're a stranger to him. He can and will say anything to get you off his back. If you pay him extra, so be it.:p

What you have quoted DOES NOT say that anyone receives any portion of the DSC. It says that they are paid a salary and incentives.

The quoted language probably means that NCL pays the crew and that the DSC is just part of NCL's income. There is no longer any breakdown that so much goes to the steward, etc. NCL MAY fund the incentives from the DSC, but probably not.

What this says to me is that rates are going to go up $100 pp/pwk and the DSC is soon to be a thing of the past.

Check the text you quoted...

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

My long time very nice hairdresser told me she was going to miss the few days before Xmas and was upset about it because she would miss out on like $2000 in one day of xmas tips and she felt that she might not get it back. Lol

I still gave her my usual $15. I wasn't buying that bull!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

10 years ago when my hairdresser closed her salon and relocated to Florida, I was in search of a new one. I found one that did a terrific job, but complained that I didn't get my highlights often enough. She said I should go every 4 weeks...anyone that knows highlights knows this is way too often to get them done. She also complained about money and how she doesn't make enough and wished customers tipped her more. That was the last time she saw me.

Edited by bangzoom6877

Or maybe he was just hustling you with the sob story since you probably look or sounded naive and gullible while vacation to him - Hustlers always aimed for those they believe will buy the cow feces and cough up what they want which is usually money. Did you give him the money (cash tips) because if you did, that was mission accomplish for the room steward.

Any "solicited" tips or gratuities remain inside my wallet, we are more than generous to those who offer their services while on board but I know better then to believe any room steward who tells me he is not included in the DSC's...Getting to the point with NCL where everythingseems to evolve around either the DSC's, tips and or gratuities...What is the difference between a "tip" and a "gratuity"...???Seems the emphasis is on the wrong things here...Give me less and expect more...

Think NCL should get their collective heads out of their collective asses and stop with this BS...

Now I haven't got a clue if I should tip ...the couple making love on the balcony next door. It's all too much.

I need a vacation.

It really just depends on whether they went above and beyond to perform extraordinary service. :p

Thanks for the chuckle. :)

...Love above and beyond service, those that do usually do not need to ask for any tips/gratuities as they know better...8I am not apposed to tipping or anything like that, just do not want to be asked or have someone "demand" I take care of them for mediocre service is all...Not looking to cause problems, not at all but will not be "taken advantage of" by NCL or the crew...

Think "Corporate not only let their own people down but insulted a lot of us who have supported and cruised on NCL over the other lines... Now my question is this; are the other lines that bad...???Aside from RC we have only cruised with NCL...

Think "Corporate not only let their own people down but insulted a lot of us who have supported and cruised on NCL over the other lines... Now my question is this; are the other lines that bad...???Aside from RC we have only cruised with NCL...

Well, if some of the other lines would take the sticks out of their butts and relax a little, I would consider them.

I sincerely hope NCL is not screwing around with their employees like they are with their customers. An in "my last contract was better than my new one". NCL a has always had such a relaxed and happy vibe and never seemed to take themselves too seriously. Most of the employees seem to really love their jobs. If they start feeling screwed over, it won't be long till it effects service and that happy vibe is gone. When that happens, I am out of here.

I don't think any other line is particularly better or worse when it comes to tips/gratuities. Almost all of them do the same thing, it's just part of cruising.

Here is why they did it......

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=132

It's surely not the best system, but it's the one we have to work with...right now. I'd prefer they do it in a more European style, where you pay to cruise and it's already built into the price. If I'm paying $100 pp in gratuities, I'd actually be happier if my room price was $100 higher.

Back to the OP, he/she got scammed. The steward pulled the wool over their eyes by saying they didn't get the DSC. However, the OP deserved it because they were incredibly rude and boorish to ask about his compensation.

If you want to learn more about how the room stewards like to play on peoples emotions to get more tips, you should Google it. There are a lot of articles and blogs written by former and current cruise employees that will open your eyes. :cool:

We make a point to chat with the crew, it's just fun to learn a little about them. I wouldn't ask anything about how they're paid though nor have I ever gotten a sob story to try and get a bigger tip. I don't doubt it happens but I don't think it's the norm. I don't think this is unique to NCL or to the cruise industry for that matter.

I think it's impolite to put it mildly, to ask anyone about their salary, how they're paid, their benefits, retirement fund, etc. I don't like it when anyone asks me those types of questions, even close friends and relatives. And I don't give anyone that information either.

We make a point to chat with the crew, it's just fun to learn a little about them. I wouldn't ask anything about how they're paid though nor have I ever gotten a sob story to try and get a bigger tip. I don't doubt it happens but I don't think it's the norm. I don't think this is unique to NCL or to the cruise industry for that matter.

I agree. Jeez people, so cynical. So you chat up the young bar tender at home, and in the course of the conversation he mentions he's working 2 jobs and a student at xxx College. Is he just making it all up and scamming for your tip? People are human. When people engage them in a friendly conversation, they divulge bits of information about themselves with no ulterior motive. Talk to anyone for 5 minutes and they are going to mention their kids. We all do it.

[quote name='TifffanyD']Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that NCL crew will openly talk about their pay? And that people will unashamedly ask about it?[/QUOTE]

This isn't unique to NCL or to cruise ship employees either. Plenty of people try to get a bigger tip out of customers, on ships or on land, in various fields within the service industry.

As for people being nosy and asking others about their pay, this isn't limited to cruise ship passengers. There are plenty of nosy people who ask others about their personal business, be it financial or any other personal aspect of their life.

Ok folks, sorry for starting a firestorm here. First I did not ask him his salary, benefits or anything like that. After reading all the opinions on the daily service charges on this site I figured I would ask so I would have a better understanding of how it is dispersed to the crew. His response was with his current contract he did not get any of the daily service charge money. Maybe it's included in his contract already, I guess I should have asked him that, I thought it would be in addition to whatever his contract said. It's quite obvious after reading all the comments nobody has any more information than I do on it. I gladly pay the DSC because I thought it went to the crew and I tip the crew extra also just thought it was weird he mentioned that he didn't get the DSC and that's why I brought it up. Oh, and the steward and I and my wife had may long conversations about many things, not just this. Actually this was one of our shorter ones. lol

[quote name='sfaaa']Whatever the deal is, it's between him and NCL and has nothing to do with passengers. Don't like the contract, then don't sign on. I get on board to cruise. I am not there to play wage arbitrator.[/QUOTE]

+1
Jancruz1

[quote name='TifffanyD']Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that NCL crew will openly talk about their pay? And that people will unashamedly ask about it?[/QUOTE]

Nope.
It would be odd if you believed that anyone would give an honest answer to someone who asked such an inappropriate question about something they should not be asking questions about.

THAT would be really odd........

[quote name='Trevor Fountain']There's far too much crap going on now to know black from white. I will pay the DSC, but no extra tips and not the added speciality restaurants gratuity.
I can't be ar$ed with all this stress a few weeks before our trip.
When I booked I was informed of $12 per day gratuities, and that was it. Now I haven't got a clue if I should tip the guy polishing the handrails, or the couple making love on the balcony next door. It's all too much.
I need a vacation.[/QUOTE]

Ha! I feel the same way. 9 days and counting. Enjoy your vacation!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

[quote name='garyss7']Just to make post clear, I asked him about it, he didn't bring it up at all. He mentioned his last contract was better than this one. Do they include daily service charge in contracts?[/QUOTE]

I think we are all getting carried away with who does and doesn't get included in the pool. Why in the world would the cabin stewards not be included and what would make you ask? Of course they, like the restaurant staff are the main recepients of the DSC.

You can try and explain it any way you want, he is getting part of the DSC some way or another. Anyone who doesn't believe this is simply being niave. Edited by newmexicoNita

[quote name='Loucat']I think this should be known to passengers.
Why would I want a portion of my gratuities to go to a cruise line? The staff work so hard for so little. Try going on any cruise line employment opportunities and see what their pay looks like.
This is the type of thing the cruise line controls unless they eliminate pre paid gratuities and the staff receive the money. That is even up for questioning.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe you really think the money is going to the cruise line and not the hard working crew. If that was the case, do you realize how many crew members would just walk off the job or certainly wouldn't sign a new contract. They already work for almost nothing, most of us realize that. They make all their money on tips, just like the wait staff at your local rstaurant.

On my next NCL cruise, I fully expect my room attendant will ask me how much I make and all the hardships I face back home. I now have these all nicely summarized on a 4x4 reading card and will be handing the info out like junk mail flyer on the ship.