Platinum Status

WeeCountyMan

We've just completed a 7 day cruise down the Californian coast which raises us to Platinum level for our next Princess booking.

The internet benefit is easy to understand, as is the Preferred Check In - but I'm not clear on the upgrade to Platinum Vacation Protection.

That suggests you have to purchase a lower grade (basic ?) insurance plan to enjoy the upgrade.

Is that the scenario - or is it a no strings attached free benefit ?

We have comprehensive worldwide travel insurance, so purchasing a Princess deal would be pointless.

Unless the deal offers something specific not enjoyed by regular travel insurance ?

We've just completed a 7 day cruise down the Californian coast which raises us to Platinum level for our next Princess booking.

The internet benefit is easy to understand, as is the Preferred Check In - but I'm not clear on the upgrade to Platinum Vacation Protection.

That suggests you have to purchase a lower grade (basic ?) insurance plan to enjoy the upgrade.

We have comprehensive worldwide travel insurance, so purchasing a Princess deal would be pointless.

Unless the deal offers something specific not enjoyed by regular travel insurance ?

You are correct, purchase the lower basic and get the free upgrade.

Does your ins have cancel for any reason?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

You have to purchase Princess Vacation Protection to receive the upgrade to Princess Platinum Vacation Protection.

This is now a benefit of the Ruby level (after completing 3 cruise credits or 30 days), so you don't have to be Platinum to receive it.

This insurance covers the cost of trip cancellation as well as medical. The main thing it offers that most trip cancellation insurance does not is coverage for "cancel for any reason". If you cancel for a non-covered reason, then you receive a credit for 100% of the nonrefundable cruise cost usable on a future Princess cruise.

I think you will find that the vacation protection upgrade is a benefit which is only offered to US/ Canada residents only.

The UK insurance product is offered through Holiday Extras and requires you to arrange it and quote discount code WC446 within 14 days of making your booking. There are also lots of age related clauses.

Like you we have a comprehensive world wide annual deal which provides excellent cover and so I have never checked the price for value.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Yes, you purchase the basic plan and get a free upgrade to the better coverage. Only works if you buy the Princess basic plan

Gees! It is very elementary! As a Platinum, you can opt to purchase the "DELUXE ENHANCED COVERAGE" for the price of "BASIC"! I hope this clarification is clear!

You are correct, purchase the lower basic and get the free upgrade.

Does your ins have cancel for any reason?

Hey Colo Cruiser or anyone, we are planning on purchasing the Upgrade Platinum Ins for our next cruise (28 day Haw, Samoa & Tahiti ; LA to LA). We are also looking into MedEvac coverage. Any pros or cons.

Hey Colo Cruiser or anyone, we are planning on purchasing the Upgrade Platinum Ins for our next cruise (28 day Haw, Samoa & Tahiti ; LA to LA). We are also looking into MedEvac coverage. Any pros or cons.

Pro - you will be eternally grateful in the unlikely event you need to use MedEvac coverage.

Gees! It is very elementary! As a Platinum, you can opt to purchase the "DELUXE ENHANCED COVERAGE" for the price of "BASIC"! I hope this clarification is clear!

Not if you live in the UK as both I and the OP do.

I hope this clarification is clear!

Edited by Corfe Mixture

It's pretty sad that it doesn't apply to UK passengers. It's like the sales that only apply to certain people. It doesn't seem fair but it's their company and they make the rules. There may be some other (regulatory?) reason that the perk isn't offered in the UK.

As someone else pointed out, for US passengers, this is now a Ruby level perk. I've used it a couple of times myself. Purchased standard insurance and got the free upgrade to Platinum level insurance. On our next cruise we will actually be Platinum so we will enjoy the Internet minutes.

It's pretty sad that it doesn't apply to UK passengers. It's like the sales that only apply to certain people. It doesn't seem fair but it's their company and they make the rules. There may be some other (regulatory?) reason that the perk isn't offered in the UK.

As someone else pointed out, for US passengers, this is now a Ruby level perk. I've used it a couple of times myself. Purchased standard insurance and got the free upgrade to Platinum level insurance. On our next cruise we will actually be Platinum so we will enjoy the Internet minutes.

Hi,

The reason is clear.

Princess' insurance is actually underwritten by an insurance company and as a result our insurance is provided by a different company to the one which offers the Princess deal available to US/Canadian residents.

We also need a policy which includes medical treatment cover when in the US and medical repatriation to the UK, which makes our needs very different to those of US/ Canadian residents.

The good news for us is that many of us get world-wide travel insurance, European vehicle breakdown recovery, and other benefits bundled with our high street bank accounts.

We do however have to remember to take our government issued health card with us when we go to places like Martinique as we are entitled to free medical treatment in France and our travel insurance policies do not cover us for medical costs which we are entitled to receive free of charge.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

You get points for being consistent. :rolleyes:

Hey guys the Princess Platinum coverage is great, are you eligible for the free upgrade?

As far as Medivac coverage checkout Medjet assist. They have excellent coverage

Wrong.

I can't opt to purchase anything because (as explained above) a British citizen is not entitled to do so.

I hope that correction is clear ?