Horseback Swimming

davidswife

Has anyone done this in Grand Cayman? Could you tell me about the experience? Did you go really far out into the ocean? I've seen some youtube videos where the rider and horse are all the way up to their necks and pretty far out there! But then others where they didn't go far out at all.

Looks like there's a few companies to choose from, so I'd love a recommendation.

Thanks!

I recently did this in Jamaica and I have to say that the horseback riding portion was just ok, the swimming was fun. The best part was the swimming and it only lasted about 5 minutes....its hard work for the horses and the guides said they never have them out there more than 10 minutes max but its good exercise for them. You don't get very far from the shore but the horses are actually swimming and you lay flat on your stomach down their spine while holding their mane. Cool experience but I would only do it again if I could skip the trail riding part.

I have done this with my mother and it was very enjoyable. You go out far enough where the horse actually swims and cant touch the bottom. When we did it you almost pull a superman and lay horizontal and hold the mane and are pulled along. I would do this again for sure it was fun, different and a good time.

Now as for the company we did was Pampered Ponies, http://www.ponies.ky/

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone done this in Grand Cayman? Could you tell me about the experience? Did you go really far out into the ocean? I've seen some youtube videos where the rider and horse are all the way up to their necks and pretty far out there! But then others where they didn't go far out at all.

Looks like there's a few companies to choose from, so I'd love a recommendation.

Thanks!

We did this in Jan 2015 with Cayman Horse riding. Put those three words together to get to their web site. We are horse people at home, my daughter has an equine degree and trains horses. I can tell you the Nikki does an excellent job with her horses. I very highly recommend her. We swam for about 20 to 30 minutes, she will take you out and let you ride as to your ability. Here is a link to our ride, I apologize for the quality, we just had our cheap underwater cameras. The smile on her face says it all. It was an amazing day for us.

It was also very easy to book with Nikki and she picked us up and dropped us off. That was part of the fee.