Cruise Critic Community
flyingpirate

Song of Norway RCCL

This was our first cruise Dec. 20, 1996 to Jan. 5, 1997 in the Caribbean. It's probably the best cruise we'll ever do. We've done 6 more after that. The weather was perfect. The people were great on board. We went St. Barth, Curacao, Aruba, St. Lucia, Grenada, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and last stop I believe was Labadee, Haiti. Great cruise!

The RCCL Song of Norway was the first cruise ship I cruise on in 1976, when I was 19 yrs old.

I am 61 yrs old now, long time ago.

I cruise on her again, in the 1980's .This ship was a great ship, lots of fun times!!!!

By the way there is a news article (3/21/2018) on Fox News.com, that Silversea cruise company is

lengthening their ship Silver Sprit to 49 feet. The company said this has never been done before, wrong.

The RCCL Song of Norway was lengthened 85.3 feet Aug 30, 1978. Hello to my cruise friends in PA.

Later

Texas Joe

I sailed on the Song of Norway, LA to Alaska in 1996, it was a special cruise, haven't been back to Alaska. End of April, the beginning of May, 1st ship of the season, no other ships, no crowds. Because we sailed from LA, we got Sitka, Haines, Wrangall, Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. The welcome we received was awesome, weather turned out to be the warmest early May, had to buy short sleeve tees! Small ship made it just plain fun. Bridge would blow the horn like they would leave us as the last of us were running to board (still had time) but it got to be a joke. Captain said to me in line at the party, aren't you always running after one more Rainier beer?

My honeymoon cruise was Song of Norway in June 1989 from port of San Juan. It went to Martinuqe, Barbados, St. Martin, Antigua, and St. Thomas. 
I shot skeet off the back of the ship, and bought bottles of Scotch on the ship that I was allowed to take to room. 
Biggest entertainment was putt putt competition on back deck of ship, which I won and got a RC plastic medal. Lol 
There was no “anytime dining” and I didn’t care for those older passengers I was assigned dinner with. 
I loved the cruise, my first, but in hindsight for a young couple we would of probably had a better time with younger crowd on a partying ship like Carnival if it existed. 
Marriage didn’t last, wish I would of chosen better, someone who was more deserving 

Edited by Putintane