Crown & anchor points status question

Hi,

Before I call RCI, I was wondering your expert opinions please!

How many points should we have? RCI has us at 29. My math gives me 30.

These were cruises taken under the old system and converted to points.

7 nites - Serenade - Junior Suite - 2008

8 nites - Jewel - Junior Suite - 2006

Thanks!

Hi,

Before I call RCI, I was wondering your expert opinions please!

How many points should we have? RCI has us at 29. My math gives me 30.

These were cruises taken under the old system and converted to points.

7 nites - Serenade - Junior Suite - 2008

8 nites - Jewel - Junior Suite - 2006

Thanks!

You should have 29 points.

Prior to Jan 2011, cruises were given 1 credit. An extra credit was given for a JS or better. An extra credit was given for cruises of 12 days or longer.

So you would have had 4 credits. Royal gave 7 points per credit, plus a fudge factor, in your case 1 point. So 29 points is correct for you.

You should have 29 points.

Prior to Jan 2011, cruises were given 1 credit. An extra credit was given for a JS or better. An extra credit was given for cruises of 12 days or longer.

So you would have had 4 credits. Royal gave 7 points per credit, plus a fudge factor, in your case 1 point. So 29 points is correct for you.

Thanks much for the details Bob!

I think the conversion came out to be approx 7.25 per old cruise point so you lose the extra day on the 8 day cruise . We lost several as we did 11, and 10 day cruises some.

This was the actual formula:

Conversion from old cruise credits to cruise points:

If credits were 1-4, points = credits * 7 + 1

If credits were 5-7, points = credits * 7 + 3

If credits were > 7, points = credits * 7 + 13

Edited by clarea

This was the actual formula:

Conversion from old cruise credits to cruise points:

If credits were 1-4, points = credits * 7 + 1

If credits were 5-7, points = credits * 7 + 3

If credits were > 7, points = credits * 7 + 13

Bob, do you have any idea about the history of the program?

I collect cruise industry memorabilia and have not been able to find when RCI first started giving cruise points. Do you know when they first created the 'Crown and Anchor Society'?

I know the first luxury program was registered in 1977 in Norway for Royal Viking Line and the SKALD CLUB program was really developed fully in the '80s.

You always have so much great information, so I thought you might know.

Bob, do you have any idea about the history of the program?

I collect cruise industry memorabilia and have not been able to find when RCI first started giving cruise points. Do you know when they first created the 'Crown and Anchor Society'?

I know the first luxury program was registered in 1977 in Norway for Royal Viking Line and the SKALD CLUB program was really developed fully in the '80s.

You always have so much great information, so I thought you might know.

Sorry, my info does not extend that far back. You might have to wait for Patti (cruisenfever) to get back.

Sorry, my info does not extend that far back. You might have to wait for Patti (cruisenfever) to get back.

Thanks. I was surprised that I have not been able to find that online in any way. I will contact her the next time I see her responding to a thread.

I have the same thing. So I have to wait 2 weeks after my next cruise to be platinum then call them back to get my balcony discount on my 2016 cruise that I have booked. :(

Keep in mind that they will reprice the cruise. If the price of the 2016 cruise increased more than your balcony discount is worth you're better off where you are.

The earliest I can find mention of Crown and Anchor is from 1995 in the February issue of Cruise Travel magazine.

And if you're curious it was expanded in January 1997 according to another article I found:

The new Crown & Anchor Society is divided into four membership levels based on the number of eligible cruises a guest has taken with Royal Caribbean. Guests are eligible for Silver membership in the Crown & Anchor Society after just one cruise with the line. Passengers who have enjoyed a Royal Caribbean cruise at least two times are automatically enrolled as Gold members; after five cruises they become Platinum members, and guests who have taken 10 or more cruises become Diamond members. There is no cost to join.

The biggest benefit to guests is provided by the information shipboard personnel will receive, enabling them to recognize repeat guests by name and deliver personalized attention. In addition, all members will receive the four-color, quarterly "Crown & Anchor Magazine," periodic mailings with special offers and coupons, a color-coded landing card sticker indicating their repeat guest status, and on seven-night or longer cruises, an invitation to a special cocktail party during their cruise. Gold members receive the same benefits, as well as additional special offers on future cruises. Platinum members receive the same benefits as Gold members, plus selected offers on future cruises and plush terry robes for their enjoyment during the cruise. Diamond members receive all the above benefits, as well as exclusive coupons, special boarding privileges, and a welcome aboard bottle of champagne in their cabin.

PS -- For what it's worth I've found documentation that Crown and Anchor only has passenger history back to 1995, so that seems to indicate that to be its first year.

Edited by tahqa

The earliest I can find mention of Crown and Anchor is from 1995 in the February issue of Cruise Travel magazine.

And if you're curious it was expanded in January 1997 according to another article I found:

PS -- For what it's worth I've found documentation that Crown and Anchor only has passenger history back to 1995, so that seems to indicate that to be its first year.

Thank you for the information. That was about what I expected.

I thought that this was initially only a luxury cruise line thing.

As Royal Viking Line had such a high repeat cruise rate, I think the 1977 SKALD Club is actually the first travel industry loyalty program. I am not sure when Cunard followed suit.

I had found RCI referenced in a Sun Sentinel article from 1991 with no talk of points.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line host repeaters at a special cocktail party. Costa Club passengers receive the line`s magazine, Brio, and a gift onboard. RCCL sends past passengers a complimentary newsletter, The Viking Crown Cruise Club, with news about the line such as itinerary changes and new vessels. RCCL also offers repeaters discounts on selected sailings from time to time.

I think the conversion came out to be approx 7.25 per old cruise point so you lose the extra day on the 8 day cruise . We lost several as we did 11, and 10 day cruises some.

We did as well. It was real annoying at the time.

And on the flip side of that, the people that did 3 or 4 night cruises gained a lot of extra points.

Keep in mind that they will reprice the cruise. If the price of the 2016 cruise increased more than your balcony discount is worth you're better off where you are.

This is an excellent point. I booked a cruise w/o my C&A number thinking it was no big deal and later when I tried to get my discount I was told that the number HAS to be given at the time of the reservation.

Us too. We had a couple of 10+ day cruises. When they converted we lost ground because we were due to make D our next cruise, but had to wait til the one after that to actually hit the points (both were booked prior to conversion). So, we were Emerald for a very short period of time. We just made D+ and have been waiting for the other shoe to drop with changes to the benefits. I remember when the change was made and there were quite a few posters who were negatively impacted. While it's true no one went backwards, a lot of us were delayed for our next level.

The new Crown & Anchor Society is divided into four membership levels based on the number of eligible cruises a guest has taken with Royal Caribbean. Guests are eligible for Silver membership in the Crown & Anchor Society after just one cruise with the line. Passengers who have enjoyed a Royal Caribbean cruise at least two times are automatically enrolled as Gold members; after five cruises they become Platinum members, and guests who have taken 10 or more cruises become Diamond members. There is no cost to join.

The biggest benefit to guests is provided by the information shipboard personnel will receive, enabling them to recognize repeat guests by name and deliver personalized attention. In addition, all members will receive the four-color, quarterly "Crown & Anchor Magazine," periodic mailings with special offers and coupons, a color-coded landing card sticker indicating their repeat guest status, and on seven-night or longer cruises, an invitation to a special cocktail party during their cruise. Gold members receive the same benefits, as well as additional special offers on future cruises. Platinum members receive the same benefits as Gold members, plus selected offers on future cruises and plush terry robes for their enjoyment during the cruise. Diamond members receive all the above benefits, as well as exclusive coupons, special boarding privileges, and a welcome aboard bottle of champagne in their cabin.

Thank You Tahaq

I as well wondered about when C & A was Founded when searched the web I only found references going bock to 2002

• 1 month later...