Beverage Package Pricing Increase

Do you think Celebrity might have oversold bargain cruises in the last year or so and now have to make up for it?

I booked a Summit Southern Caribbean for next March. The price of the cruise in a Sky Suite, by the time I deducted the value of the free beverage package, free gratuities and a $550 OBC, is $785 per person. That cruise fare today, without any promotions, is $1899 per person. When you consider how many of those deals they have sold over the past year and for 2016 and 2017, one can guess why they are trying to see if they can drag the price back up.

It wasn't that long ago that they raised the prices of the drink packages and they also went thru the same issue of upgrading before sailing to get locked in to the $10 difference. Ended up not being a problem as the upgrade remained $10 on board.

Then it was book the package before a certain date and get the old rate and that disappeared.

Then they raised all of the drink prices and eliminated a lot of drinks from the classic.

They raised the limit of the prices that were covered under booth packages but then also eliminated more brands from the classic.

Now they raised the cost of all drinks plus the price of the packages again. A lot of increases in a rather short period.

Only bright side is ot drinking as much on a cruise will better for my health and I will feel better the next day but not as much fun the night before.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Sure there will be new promo but I would not count on it being a beverage package, maybe just a 50 % off the second person in a stateroom promo.

Azamara just started that promo today. :rolleyes:

That would be ok by me since we book suites. 50% off the 2nd passenger is way more beneficial than a classic drink package, especially since we have access to Michaels Club, elite happy hour and we buy wine by the bottle regardless of the beverage package we have.

Just to clear my brain... we have only had a "free" classic drink package 1 time & the gratuities were included for that package. Since we are not big alcohol drinkers we were going to get the nonalcoholic package which will now be $18 per day + $3.24 gratuity for a total of $21.24 per day . Is this correct?

If you upgrade pre-cruise before April 20th, you’ll only be paying the current difference to upgrade to Premium ($10 per day + 18% gratuity).

If you upgrade pre-cruise as of April 20th or onboard as of April 6th, then you’ll be paying the new upgrade rate to Premium ($16 per day + 18% gratuity).

I'm sorry...I don't think I understand you correctly. You can't possibly be saying that you are effectively downgrading the value of the Classic Beverage Package that so many cruisers got as a perq. Because I have CAL on 5 of my upcoming cruises through 2017, and if there is a $10 difference in value between Classic and Premium, whether today or in 2017. then that, plus gratuity, is all anyone should be paying to upgrade. Anything else really is deceptive and smacks of gross dishonesty.

That would be ok by me since we book suites. 50% off the 2nd passenger is way more beneficial than a classic drink package, especially since we have access to Michaels Club, elite happy hour and we buy wine by the bottle regardless of the beverage package we have.

I hear you.:D

I would book suite if that ever happened too.

I don't know how you can do this, the difference between the classic and the premium is still $10. The perk is for the classic package, not $49 towards a package

Tartantiara, thank you for this. I thought I was the only one that that questioned Celebrity's math, and you summed up quite succinctly the issue. We purchased with a perq of the Classic Beverage Package, NOT an allowance toward same.:mad:

Good question.

Does this mean that individual drink prices will increase starting April 20?

Decison is easy for me.

I will upgrade on line before the deadline. Spend my OBC on something else on my cruise in 2016.

Easy decision for me on the upcoming TA as well. I just won't buy the premium drinks package. Period. Bring on 2 bottles of wine, buy a few martinis and a few drinks at the Molecular Bar, take advantage of Elites' drinks which I normally never do, and out of the $975 budgeted for the Premium Package I may end up spending $375. Thanks Celebrity; my liver and my budget thank you.:rolleyes:

We booked onboard last week, OV room for 2017(15 day canal) which qualifies for one of three, and we chose the beverage package. Mine says:

Cruise fare

Spring Beverage: 0.00

Spring Savings -150.00

Vacation Protection Plan - 119.00

Gratuities -180.00

Taxes, fees, etc.

It was very clear we were getting the Beverage Promo, and I have the onboard paperwork to back it up, etc. and it was discussed with cruise agent. I am not sure why it says 0.00, but, I do believe since it is listed it is part of the package.

Hi,

We probably booked with the same travel group, maybe starting with C-----. I had the same question for them today. The reason the zeros are there is because there is no charge to either passenger for the Spring Beverage. If there was a charge, it would all flow to the bottom line, which you would be responsible to pay, as for your Protection Plan and Gratuities.

Hope this helps.

They raised the limit of the prices that were covered under booth packages but then also eliminated more brands from the classic.

Just a point of clarification.... Price caps in the classic package were increased, but not so for the premium package.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

I can only imagine, it will have 1 of 2 scenarios:

ONE:

Paid $49 for classic, upgrade before you sail until 4/20, pay $10+ to upgrade

Paid $49 for classic, upgrade after 4/6 onboard, pay $16+ to upgrade

Get the classic package as a perk, pay $10+ to upgrade

Two:

They have no way when you upgrade at a bar to know what you paid for a package, you pay $10 to upgrade.

As others have said, charging $16 to upgrade smacks of dishonesty when there has been a lot of marketing pushing booking of cruises with the perks promoting the $10 upgrade. Sure, I know they can change it, but the price difference is STILL $10.

Scenario 2 is a bit the way airlines do upgrades to extra leg room seats or premium cabins. The prices are set, and everyone pays the same to upgrade regardless of what they paid for the seat. I know this is a bit general and not always the case as airlines are sophisticated enough to actually offer different flyers totally different prices for add-ons at check in. Celebrity is NOT this sophisticated, in the IT realm anyway.

Finally, I am happy to ask how this will work onboard, on Monday, BUT I fear the information won't be communicated properly to the ships or call centers for a few weeks.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I can only imagine, it will have 1 of 2 scenarios:

ONE:

Paid $49 for classic, upgrade before you sail until 4/20, pay $10+ to upgrade

Paid $49 for classic, upgrade after 4/6 onboard, pay $16+ to upgrade

Get the classic package as a perk, pay $10+ to upgrade

Two:

They have no way when you upgrade at a bar to know what you paid for a package, you pay $10 to upgrade.

As others have said, charging $16 to upgrade smacks of dishonesty when there has been a lot of marketing pushing booking of cruises with the perks promoting the $10 upgrade. Sure, I know they can change it, but the price difference is STILL $10.

Scenario 2 is a bit the way airlines do upgrades to extra leg room seats or premium cabins. The prices are set, and everyone pays the same to upgrade regardless of what they paid for the seat. I know this is a bit general and not always the case as airlines are sophisticated enough to actually offer different flyers totally different prices for add-ons at check in. Celebrity is NOT this sophisticated, in the IT realm anyway.

Finally, I am happy to ask how this will work onboard, on Monday, BUT I fear the information won't be communicated properly to the ships or call centers for a few weeks.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

It would be awesome if you could ask while you are onboard :) Our next cruise isn't for a while so I'm not really too concerned one way or the other about the immediate future, but if it does turn out that they'll be forcing the $16 upgrade for some insane reason then I'll go ahead and do the upgrade for our future cruises before April 20.

It would be awesome if you could ask while you are onboard :) Our next cruise isn't for a while so I'm not really too concerned one way or the other about the immediate future, but if it does turn out that they'll be forcing the $16 upgrade for some insane reason then I'll go ahead and do the upgrade for our future cruises before April 20.

I'll ask, but I am not sure the ship will have any better communication or even the correct answer by the time we get off April 18, but we'll see :)

I'm hoping the official voice of Celebrity Cruises comes back and gives a sensible answer.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Last time beverage package prices changed, they handled it this way.

Upgrades was $10 variance either way, so only $10 plus ratty to upgrade. No doubt that will be handled similarly with this change.

I just checked on line in the Celebrity explore cruise planner for my May Alaska cruise and my upcoming November Top Chef cruise and the Classic package is $ 49 but the Premium package is now listed as $ 69:62

OUCH....

I'm still confused with this mess. If we are sailing on April 5 and I want to upgrade on board I better do it the first day because effective April 6 if I want to upgrade on board it will cost more to upgrade....is that right?

I'm still confused with this mess. If we are sailing on April 5 and I want to upgrade on board I better do it the first day because effective April 6 if I want to upgrade on board it will cost more to upgrade....is that right?

Honestly....I don't think we have a clue. I think Celebrity Cruises is reporting a change and perhaps filling in some blanks themselves...or perhaps asking the wrong people for clarification. Personally, I think that Celebrity advertised "upgrade for only $10 a day more", and they are committed to do that....especially in the UK and EU where there is a cancellation penalty and the laws are quite clear that you have to deliver what you advertised. It's just a replay of the classic drink package change they tried to do early in 2014 which they pretty much rescinded.

My guess is that when the dust clears (and their lawyers look at it)...the upgrade will still be $10 plus 18% if you got the classic drink package as part of your booking incentive/bonus/package.

Celebrity Cruises said they are looking at the upgrade price again (translated, that means he wasn't sure of his/her answer or perhaps agrees with posters here)....hopefully this will be cleared up by Friday with an official position.

Until then....your guess is as good as mine.

Edited by ghstudio

Although I do a lot of lurking here on the boards, I don't tend to post much. As can be seen from my username, I'll tend to cruise annually a few times over a stretch of a few years, then get burnt out and not cruise for a few years, then repeat the cycle. I thought Celebrity really stood out twenty years ago when we started cruising, but IMHO they are quickly going downhill in the last 2-3 years since we've started cruising on Celebrity again. But having not been on other lines in a while, I'm sure they are as well. But I just loved not having to sign those stupid slips everytime I wanted something!

If it truly does turn out to be a $16 onboard upgrade to the premium package for all of us that received the classic package as a perk (which I can't believe it will once the dust settles), I look at it as a pure and simple money grab by Celebrity. For it to be announced the day after the promotion stops and then to be implemented in such a short period of time just reinforces that notion and that they flat don't care.

As some have mentioned, how in the world will the bartenders know for how much and/or when the classic package was bought/comp'd in order to determine the upgrade price? I don't think Celebrity can get that much smarter in a couple of weeks. And for the overwhelming majority (of the several thousand I'm sure that received the perk) that do not look at these boards and will not know of the change in the upgrade price until perhaps after boarding, there will be some sticker shock and P.O.'d folks thinking it will be at or at least near the $10/day+grat when they booked.

It appears to me (at least from the feedback from the CC boards) that most people upgrade their packages. I've always either upgraded or outright bought the premium package more as a matter of convenience of not having to worry as much about what is/is not covered in the classic. I probably don't get my extra "money's worth" for the week, but I accept that for the said convenience. Adding another $50pp on top of that for a 7 day cruise will certainly make me think about it. I know it's "only" fifty bucks, but it's just more nickel and diming.

But what really amazes me, and the main reason for my post, is that the Celebrity rep that replies on these boards was not sure of the answer (and perhaps is still not sure) to a question that they surely had to know would be coming. I do appreciate the fact that he/she looks at these boards and responds, although I don't think they respond to any real "controversial" topics (except now maybe for this one:)), and understandably so. But I would hope that all scenarios would had to have been discussed at great length there at Celebrity HQ when looking at the revenue forecasts, resulting reduction in the number packages purchased, upgrade backlash, etc., etc., for these pricing increases. I guess our Celebrity CC rep was not privy to those discussions/results. Too bad, he/she might have brought some common sense to the table!

Betting it will not be fully settled and clarified by the 20th either.

Modern Luxury is quickly becoming Modern Deception. Legal, probably. Good for business, probably not.

We'll see how I feel after our Dec cruise in eight months. I might get over it by then.

Rant over.

Thanks for listening.

i just checked on line in the celebrity explore cruise planner for my may alaska cruise and my upcoming november top chef cruise and the classic package is $ 49 but the premium package is now listed as $ 69:62

ouch....

$59 + 18% = $69.62!

If you upgrade pre-cruise before April 20th, you’ll only be paying the current difference to upgrade to Premium ($10 per day + 18% gratuity).

If you upgrade pre-cruise as of April 20th or onboard as of April 6th, then you’ll be paying the new upgrade rate to Premium ($16 per day + 18% gratuity).

How do you upgrade ahead of time? Do you need to call or can it be done online?

Let us assume Celebrity Cruises is correct, and I am still clinging to the belief he/she is wrong, based on the fact that in the last year there have been A lot more errors on the other boards in the RCI family from "reps" than in the past

But let us suppose they were.......

My question is how were guests supposed to find out about this increase?

Great you are giving people a very short window to upgrade, but only those with access to forum like this one.

Poor practice in my mind

But I still believe or hope as others say that our "spokesperson" did not validate all the facts before posting

It would be helpful if they could return to the boards quite quickly with the relevant facts

Edited by uktog

Yeah , we just emailed and upgraded . I do feel a bit crappy and rrrrrrushed about this though . Unexpected deadlines and price increases seem Celebrities modus operandi now.:(

It is still not answered definitively by Celebrity for those on "perk classic included" , exactly what an upgrade to Premium will cost.. . If by getting the free Classic, it is deemed to have cost $49 and the new cost for Premium is $65, then we will all have to pay $16 per day to upgrade. If however, by virtue of getting it as a perk, for those sailing after the increase date, it is deemed as a freebie without a specified value, then we should be able to upgrade at $10 per day (have left off the 18% all around to simplify things. It is fine saying that folks can upgrade prior to increase date for $10 but most cruisers do not have the benefit of reading about these things as we do on CC, so those will be in for a shock if they board and then upgrade and find out it costs $16 and not $10 as expected. April 5 is just around the corner, I do not see us getting confirmation either way (as to if its $10 or $16) by that date. My TA will be closed until after 5th anyway due to Easter so there is no way that I could upgrade prior to 5th if I wanted to.