Beverage Package Pricing Increase

When they gave people a free beverage package there was no guarantee that anyone could upgrade at any time at a certain price. The package was "free" and it remains free to those who booked.

I believe that Celebrity included the $10 upgrade option in some of their advertising...and perhaps in their information to travel agents. the issue isn't the price of the classic package. The issue is that if they advertised that you could upgrade for $10, then they have to hold to that, irrespective of the prices.

It's really similar to the classic drink changes where celebrity advertised the brand name of the spirits in the package....and then cut most of them out of the package after selling the package. I don't believe those ads said that anything can change at any time....nor did the 1-2-3 ads, as far as I can recall.

Irrespective of the ads or prices or legality, it's a bit "shady", IMHO, to change the upgrade price the day after the promotion ends. That's just poor or perhaps I should say insensitive management...and it doesn't appear to be very good customer relationship building, but I guess that's not a management objective at least at this time.

We all await celebrity cruises update...

I just called and upgraded...a no brainer

It's easier for some than others. We have 56 days of Celebrity cruising booked for 2016/2017....that's about $1200 that I have to pay now to guarantee the $10 upgrade rather than just waiting and using our OBC's to pay for the upgrades.....

Edited by ghstudio

It's easier for some than others. We have 56 days of Celebrity cruising booked for 2016/2017....that's about $1200 that I have to pay now to guarantee the $10 upgrade rather than just waiting and using our OBC's to pay for the upgrades.....

Makes you want to start drinking or drive you to drinking!

Edited by shipshape sam

I know a number of UK cruisers bought OBC when X was giving a good exchange rate, and many were planning on using it to upgrade their package. As many have said and have done, you can upgrade prior to sailing now. I see that as a win win scenario for X, they get your upgrade money AND the OBC that will then be used for other purchases.

From home base in Florida.

I just got off the phone with a super nice and intelligent Celebrity rep.

After explaining the confusion that reigns, she asked me to hold while she went to her supervisor.

My dilemma was that we are sailing in Dec 2015 and our booking includes the basic package.

Her response was that since I already have the package, I can wait and upgrade on the ship for the promised $10+18%. No increase in this scenario.

However, if I upgrade now at the $10+18% I can cancel up to 4 days before cailing, BUT, as she explained, I would have to cancel the entire upgraded bev package and rebook the basic at the upcoming rate increase.

Stay tuned. :D

I know a number of UK cruisers bought OBC when X was giving a good exchange rate, and many were planning on using it to upgrade their package. As many have said and have done, you can upgrade prior to sailing now. I see that as a win win scenario for X, they get your upgrade money AND the OBC that will then be used for other purchases.

The OBC was bought at a much lower rate than you'll get phoning in your upgrade now. I'll be facing a 20% difference. Not sure how that's a win win for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charging $16 plus gratuity per day to upgrade - no matter when - is just wrong (and bad math) on so many levels.

I'm not sure I agree with your bad math comment. I have 7 future cruises (66 days) booked with Celebrity and all booked onboard with the 123 All Inclusive. When I bought those cruises the Classic Pkg was worth $49 and no doubt built into the cost I paid. When I go on my booked cruises down the road the Premium Pkg will be $65, therefore the upgrade price will be $16+.

Like all of us I can prepay now but with 66 days I think I will probably wait and use the very large Celebrity OBCs to upgrade.

From home base in Florida.

I just got off the phone with a super nice and intelligent Celebrity rep.

After explaining the confusion that reigns, she asked me to hold while she went to her supervisor.

My dilemma was that we are sailing in Dec 2015 and our booking includes the basic package.

Her response was that since I already have the package, I can wait and upgrade on the ship for the promised $10+18%. No increase in this scenario.

However, if I upgrade now at the $10+18% I can cancel up to 4 days before cailing, BUT, as she explained, I would have to cancel the entire upgraded bev package and rebook the basic at the upcoming rate increase.

Stay tuned. :D

That's EXACTLY what the scenario SHOULD be. Now let's see what the Celebrity rep comes back to tell us.

I was planning on using OBC to upgrade on board since I have nothing else to spend my OBC on anyway. (We do private excursions if at all, and we don't shop on the ship.) Spending EXTRA money now and then having OBC I have to use up on something I wouldn't even buy is NOT the way to go.

Won't the bought OBCs be refundable?

I just saw a post from someone on Facebook who spoke with Celebrity and got this answer: if you already have your cruise booked or book before April 6 you will still pay the $10 + 18% gratuity even if you upgrade on board. For anyone booking a cruise after that date will be subject to the increase.....hope this is good info!!

I'm not sure I agree with your bad math comment. I have 7 future cruises (66 days) booked with Celebrity and all booked onboard with the 123 All Inclusive. When I bought those cruises the Classic Pkg was worth $49 and no doubt built into the cost I paid. When I go on my booked cruises down the road the Premium Pkg will be $65, therefore the upgrade price will be $16+.

Like all of us I can prepay now but with 66 days I think I will probably wait and use the very large Celebrity OBCs to upgrade.

If it was "no doubt built into the cost" you paid, then how do you explain that the prices are higher now with NO beverage packages? My price was actually LOWEST when the 123Go was included.

The classic beverage package is the classic beverage package. Whether the price of $49 a day was built into your cruise price or not, it shouldn't matter.

The difference between the classic and the premium at any given time is still $10.

How would you explain this - someone who buys the classic beverage package at the increased rate and then wants to upgrade on board? According to the Celebrity rep, it doesn't matter what they paid or when they bought it. If it's after April 20th, its going to cost $16 a day.

Sorry, but that does not compute in ANY kind of math.

The next question is...do both people in a cabin have to upgrade if 1 does? Because there goes your $10 or $16 dollar increase turning into $20 or $32!!

I believe there was a very short time when the program was first introduced when both had to upgrade...but that is no longer required. Each person in the cabin can decide if they want to upgrade or not.

How would you explain this - someone who buys the classic beverage package at the increased rate and then wants to upgrade on board? According to the Celebrity rep, it doesn't matter what they paid or when they bought it. If it's after April 20th, its going to cost $16 a day.

Sorry, but that does not compute in ANY kind of math.

Celebrity Cruises post 14 answered a specific question about an exciting perk, it did not address what you have assumed above.

I just spoke to Celebrity, and I just wanted to clear things up.

If you have the Classic Beverage Package already on your booking, do not panic! You are fine. It will still be $10 pp per day plus 18% gratuity to upgrade.

I just saw a post from someone on Facebook who spoke with Celebrity and got this answer: if you already have your cruise booked or book before April 6 you will still pay the $10 + 18% gratuity even if you upgrade on board. For anyone booking a cruise after that date will be subject to the increase.....hope this is good info!!

How typical is this??? We have a post on this thread where someone was told told they had to upgrade by 4/20 or they would have to pay the higher upgrade rate...based on a conversation with Celebrity.....and now we have this post referencing "that other social site" with a different, supposedly official, guess.

So it's a tie and we still don't know anything official.....as a matter of fact, we don't even know if the info posted by Celebrity Cruises in post 1 of this thread is accurate.

The term "goat rodeo" comes to mind....

Edited by ghstudio

If you upgrade pre-cruise before April 20th, you’ll only be paying the current difference to upgrade to Premium ($10 per day + 18% gratuity).

If you upgrade pre-cruise as of April 20th or onboard as of April 6th, then you’ll be paying the new upgrade rate to Premium ($16 per day + 18% gratuity).

We are boarding 4/5 Silhouette.

So what you are saying, I will not have to pay the increase?

If I do, I would rather upgrade before sailing.

Thank you!

How typical is this??? We have a post on this thread where someone was told told they had to upgrade by 4/20 or they would have to pay the higher upgrade rate...based on a conversation with Celebrity.....and now we have this post referencing "that other social site" with a different, supposedly official, guess.

So it's a tie and we still don't know anything official.....as a matter of fact, we don't even know if the info posted by Celebrity Cruises in post 1 of this thread is accurate.

The term "goat rodeo" comes to mind....

I'm annoyed too because I ran and upgraded this morning and now i find out that the stuff posted by cleberity Official is wrong.....

I would have liked to have waited and bought my upgrade with obc....

If you have the Classic Beverage Package already on your booking, do not panic! You are fine. It will still be $10 pp per day plus 18% gratuity to upgrade.

Thanks Carol

Sailing on 4/5 - Phew! Just under the wire. :rolleyes:

Celebrity Cruises post 14 answered a specific question about an exciting perk, it did not address what you have assumed above.

Exciting perk? What on earth is so exciting about an increase in price?

It actually did address my "assumption". Here is what it said:

"If you upgrade pre-cruise before April 20th, you’ll only be paying the current difference to upgrade to Premium ($10 per day + 18% gratuity).

If you upgrade pre-cruise as of April 20th or onboard as of April 6th, then you’ll be paying the new upgrade rate to Premium ($16 per day + 18% gratuity)."

Where did they say anything about when the Classic beverage package was purchased, or how much it was purchased for.

They simply stated that if you upgrade AFTER April 6th onboard, you will pay $16 per day plus gratuity.

They didn't say there was an ending date, nor did they say it was dependent upon when you bought the package.

It could mean April 7th, and it could mean NOVEMBER 30th.

My "assumption" was not an assumption. It was a statement based PRECISELY on what they posted.

Edited by DinaS

Only if you do it before April 20th

The OBC was bought at a much lower rate than you'll get phoning in your upgrade now. I'll be facing a 20% difference. Not sure how that's a win win for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a win win for Celebrity, not for us :mad:

Exciting perk? What on earth is so exciting about an increase in price?

It actually did address my "assumption". Here is what it said:

"If you upgrade pre-cruise before April 20th, you’ll only be paying the current difference to upgrade to Premium ($10 per day + 18% gratuity).

If you upgrade pre-cruise as of April 20th or onboard as of April 6th, then you’ll be paying the new upgrade rate to Premium ($16 per day + 18% gratuity)."

Where did they say anything about when the Classic beverage package was purchased, or how much it was purchased for.

They simply stated that if you upgrade AFTER April 6th onboard, you will pay $16 per day plus gratuity.

They didn't say there was an ending date, nor did they say it was dependent upon when you bought the package.

It could mean April 7th, and it could mean NOVEMBER 30th.

My "assumption" was not an assumption. It was a statement based PRECISELY on what they posted.

Sorry, it was a typo. I meant to say existing perk. Celebrity Cruises' response specifically addressed someone who already had the perk, not someone who purchased it. Please go read post 14 again and you will see the question quoted that CC responded to.

Again, sorry for the typo.

Edited by Oville

I just called and upgraded...a no brainer

You cannot do that if you cruise is leaving on Monday, April 6th. Like mine is. The announcement came too late for me to do anything about it. I am just hoping that the $10 difference will be honored onboard.