Pearl r/t Miami Panama Canal any info?

LES1JOAN

We are considering the 11 day Pearl Panama Canal r/t from Miami in October. Has anyone done this? Please review with likes and dislikes. Thanks.

It does seem to be a relatively new itinerary. Others may have done it on other cruise lines, but probably not NCL. We are booked for December and look forward to the reports from those of you cruising in October and Novermber. :)

Edited by drvalo

• 4 months later...
We are booked for the 12/31 sailing. Can't wait, but would love some info. Thanks.

The Pearl, wonderful ship and wonderful crew. The Panama Canal, super interesting (fascinating). We've done the complete transit on the Pearl twice. In preparation, I suggest reading A Path Between the Seas. Long...but really well written. Takes you through the complete history of the canal, from early French efforts in 1870ish time until completion in 1914. Will make the trip and what you see so much more fascinating. I believe on the partial, a ferry tour can take you from the Gatun Lake stopping point of the ship to the Pacific side of the canal, with a bus return. I personally would suggest that to see and capture the entire experience.

If you want a sneak peak of the canal experience (don't want to ruin the actual experience for you though), I posted 218 pictures that I took as we went through the canal several years ago, 2012 I believe. This was on the Pearl, Miami to L.A. The pictures begin early morning as we approach the canal from the Atlantic side, and the pictures end as we exit the canal area into the Pacific. The complete transit is a full day, dawn till dusk. We did it again the other direction two years later. (And I'd go again anytime).

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Panama%20Canal/DSCN8966.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

We have this one booked for March 2017....yes 2017. Long wait. By that time, I am sure to read a lot of reviews, the good, the bad, and the ugly...LOL

Yes it is a long wait......come over to the roll call to make the time fly by.:)

• 4 weeks later...

We are booked (and paid in full) for November 19 cruise --- we've got a nice Roll Call going with several activities to kick-off the week! Hubby & I just ran thru our excursions & we're in the process of the final selections - we've opted for a forward PH suite because we've gotten spoiled with the suite services!

Hope to see you join ... we've traveled extensively with my past event management company (now retired & closed the company) ... but these are all new ports for us to explore! Getting excited and we are under the 65-day mark for sailing away!

We had one of these booked for March/April 2017. There is an excursion usually offered whereby you can tender off in Gatun Lake, ride a bus to the start of the Pacific locks and transit those on a "ferry" then rejoin the cruise via bus to Colon. It's about $200pp. Looked great:)

However, adding that to the fare then comparing to a full transit Miami to LA the difference was only about $300pp - about $60pp for 5 extra days so we changed it to full transit on Jewel in February 2017:) :)

Edited by pspercy

we are going on this cruise with NCL Pearl on 15th October. Will post our findings as soon as we return on the 30th October. May be a little late for some, but hopefully will help those going in November :cool:

Don't you mean October 18th returning on the 29th?

I think you're considering your travel time, maybe?

Harriet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Carolc00,

Please include a little about how you get from Gatun Lake back to Colon to catch any excursion planned. Also, if you can, please let us know where you are deposited on land as I am considering an Almiza tour, evidently not contracted with NCL. Thank you very much in advance.

If you want a sneak peak of the canal experience (don't want to ruin the actual experience for you though), I posted 218 pictures that I took as we went through the canal several years ago, 2012 I believe. This was on the Pearl, Miami to L.A. The pictures begin early morning as we approach the canal from the Atlantic side, and the pictures end as we exit the canal area into the Pacific. The complete transit is a full day, dawn till dusk. We did it again the other direction two years later. (And I'd go again anytime).

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Panama%20Canal/DSCN8966.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

• 3 weeks later...
The Pearl, wonderful ship and wonderful crew. The Panama Canal, super interesting (fascinating). We've done the complete transit on the Pearl twice. In preparation, I suggest reading A Path Between the Seas. Long...but really well written. Takes you through the complete history of the canal, from early French efforts in 1870ish time until completion in 1914. Will make the trip and what you see so much more fascinating. I believe on the partial, a ferry tour can take you from the Gatun Lake stopping point of the ship to the Pacific side of the canal, with a bus return. I personally would suggest that to see and capture the entire experience.

Thanks for the information on the book, I just ordered it from Amazon! I am also looking to book this itinerary for 2017, so I will keep reading this thread :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Carolc00,

Please include a little about how you get from Gatun Lake back to Colon to catch any excursion planned. Also, if you can, please let us know where you are deposited on land as I am considering an Almiza tour, evidently not contracted with NCL. Thank you very much in advance.

From all that I have read, passengers are only allowed off the ship if they are on an NCL sponsored tour - Panamanian rules not NCL. The ship goes through the Gatun Locks and anchors in Gatun Lake where passengers are tendered to tour meeting area on land. Once tours are completed, the passengers reboard the ship in Colon later in the day when ship docks. Hope this helps. We are going in April 2016 so having been reading a lot about subject.

• 3 months later...

Any updates on the Panama Canal trips? Best type of cabin to get...front suite or aft? Looking to do this to celebrate my 50th! Waiting impatiently for schedule for Fall 2017. Want to know what cabin to book as soon as they open it up. Also, best shore excursions?

To see the canal first - we booked a penthouse 9502 - forward.

OMG - it was the best! Plenty of space with a king bed - it was wonderful & maybe the best we've had - except for the Owner's Suite we booked for our Greek Cruse. While many are looking for spots to see the Canal open very early in the morning - we were in our jammies & watching it all unfold with coffee in hand. We turned up the TV to hear the narration & filmed much of the actual opening.

Columbia - we booked the walking tour (great & bought emerald earrings)

Panama - booked the train (went thru Canal on ship & reboarded on other side)

(saw much of the country & it was relaxing - Canal tour was excellent)

Coata Rica - great river tour & chocolate factory (bring bug spray for ground ants - interesting)

Honduras - snorkeling ... even in rain it was GRAND

Belize - River tour & ruins (perfect tour)

Mexico - we booked another ruins & wish we had done something else

(tour was good but one ruins would have been enough & Belize was better)

We cruised over Thanksgiving & my 68th birthday - it was a wonderful cruise and 11-days was NOT long enough! We flew into Miami and stayed in South Beach the day before & also stayed an extra night after at Roommate Hotel. Nice place right in the middle of South Beach....