LGBT Cruisers

OzPinoyCruiser

9 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Could you comment on your success at connecting with others on your cruise, by posting here as opposed to the Roll Call section? I have had reasonable success using the roll call, but occasionally, monthly in my case, I wake it up and it automatically moves to the top of the list, and that helps. 

I have posted in here and have posted in the roll call section...

On one roll call I had something like 250+ readers and something like 17 posts (16 were mine).

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 11:11 AM, skipperanne said:

I guess the fact that we as LGBTQI+ people are essentially no big deal on most cruises has made this roll call less important to many people.   I still enjoy knowing that there are other LGBTQ people on a cruise and a friendly smile as we pass each other in a corridor..   That is why I always try to attend at least the first night of an LGBTQ get together while on a cruise.   I don't always make it,  and then it gets even more difficult to fine the other "members of the tribe" when they gather.

Hopefully these groups will continue,  and people will attend to at least be a touchstone for others.

Yes we will keep this thread alive...somewhere somehow to get in touch...just keep posting upcoming cruises and somehow someone might be on the same cruise...so far I know already someone doing the same cruise with us this coming Nov 2 with Symphony of the Seas. We made good friends also on previous lgbt gatherings onboard and to date still in touch, visited them and even stayed with them couple of nights. 

On 1/23/2019 at 12:20 AM, zitsky said:

I thought the LGBT meetup was good for meeting people.  There were more people at the beginning.  I would run into some folks and say hello.  Never did get together for lunch or dinner.  People were friendly when you saw them on the ship.

On our last cruise we attended the first night and then the schedules the following nights are not in favour with us. But we managed to keep in touch with some couples and we hang around for lunch, games, tours and watching the shows. At least we are still contact to date to one the couple we met. 

'Nov 2 with Symphony of the Seas'

Have you sailed these super cruise ships before?  My husband and I were on a short cruise of a ship with 3200.  That was the largest we had sailed.  We found that to be too large for us.  2500 is about the largest we are likely to consider.   Most of the HAL ships are still under the 2000 passenger size.  We find them comfortable.

We have friends who cruise 2-3 times a year.  They always choose the 5K+ size ships and never leave the ship.  It is the destination for them.

I am just wondering your perspective.

Have a great day.

we have never found the larger ships to crowded.always book your dinning and shows before your cruise.Yes shows that can't hold large amts will cause people to line up an hour before show time but we've always found seats.On RC we spend time in the adult only pool area and people do tend to hold chairs early but again we always find seating. having a balcony room helps.the best is port days if we are not getting off its like having the ship to yourself

21 hours ago, joat said:

Have you sailed these super cruise ships before?  My husband and I were on a short cruise of a ship with 3200.  That was the largest we had sailed.  We found that to be too large for us.  2500 is about the largest we are likely to consider.   Most of the HAL ships are still under the 2000 passenger size.  We find them comfortable.

We have friends who cruise 2-3 times a year.  They always choose the 5K+ size ships and never leave the ship.  It is the destination for them.

Have a great day.

We’re hesitant also at first when we did Harmony of the Seas Transatlantic in 2016. But was surprised that we found more space and quiet time. Ship is big that you don’t feel the crowd except after shows which is also the case in all ship after shows. Shows are happening at same time different locations, so guests are also divided. Now we love the big ships for space, modern, more activities, and during that TA there was a big group of LGBT that during the red party disco we dominated the entire dance floor just standing and talking and getting to know each other.

21 hours ago, joat said:

Have a great day.

For my Husband and I, this is how we see it from a RCI perspective. Which other cruise lines it might the exact opposite

Smaller Ships such as Grandeur, Serenade, etc

Pros: 

Service seems more personal. Crew to Passenger ratio is closer. Seems to be more Intimate. Cruise is perceived as slower because of the more chill/relaxing time. Getting off and on the ship seems faster and smoother.

Cons:

Less "Shows", not as many shops/resturants, less "entertainments". Can seem more crowded 

Larger Ships such as Harmony, Allure, Anthem, etc

Pros:

More things available. Shops, shows, resturants, bars, entertainment. Can seem (except when at shows) less crowded 

Cons:

Getting on the ship/off can seem confusing, crowded, slow ...

getting into shows or out can be overwhelming

ELEVATORS - People can seem more rude and impatience, probably due to there are more people versus the smaller ships.

For us there seems to be more children on the larger ships versus the smaller, now for parents this would be a Pro versus a Con. For us .. .our children are older and married, so not yet ready for children LOL.

So the Long Short

What is your Goal or Purpose?

if you are wanting to get away and read a book, relax under the sun, drink a drink or 5 and not be concerned what the Cruise Compass has or if you just want to Socialize ... I would recommend the smaller ships

If you're in need of constant input ... broadways, musicals, Karaoke,  music halls, etc

then the mega ships are for you.

Hope this provides a perspective from a logical and functional view 

On 4/12/2019 at 12:52 PM, balkor2 said:

For my Husband and I, this is how we see it from a RCI perspective. Which other cruise lines it might the exact opposite

Smaller Ships such as Grandeur, Serenade, etc

Pros: 

Service seems more personal. Crew to Passenger ratio is closer. Seems to be more Intimate. Cruise is perceived as slower because of the more chill/relaxing time. Getting off and on the ship seems faster and smoother.

Cons:

Less "Shows", not as many shops/resturants, less "entertainments". Can seem more crowded 

Larger Ships such as Harmony, Allure, Anthem, etc

Pros:

More things available. Shops, shows, resturants, bars, entertainment. Can seem (except when at shows) less crowded 

Cons:

Getting on the ship/off can seem confusing, crowded, slow ...

getting into shows or out can be overwhelming

ELEVATORS - People can seem more rude and impatience, probably due to there are more people versus the smaller ships.

For us there seems to be more children on the larger ships versus the smaller, now for parents this would be a Pro versus a Con. For us .. .our children are older and married, so not yet ready for children LOL.

So the Long Short

What is your Goal or Purpose?

if you are wanting to get away and read a book, relax under the sun, drink a drink or 5 and not be concerned what the Cruise Compass has or if you just want to Socialize ... I would recommend the smaller ships

If you're in need of constant input ... broadways, musicals, Karaoke,  music halls, etc

then the mega ships are for you.

Hope this provides a perspective from a logical and functional view 

Thanks, your insight is really useful.  Trying our first “small” ship in June, looking forward to experiencing the difference.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:53 PM, Roofire said:

Thanks, your insight is really useful.  Trying our first “small” ship in June, looking forward to experiencing the difference.

Happy Cruising...small or big you will have a blast....you get to know more each other...more intimate...c”,)

Seems we are still the only gay couple on the roll call for our July 6 cruise out of CPN (July 6, 2019 - 7 Day Viking Sagas).

Seems a great group of cruisers.  I think our M&G is now up to 46!  So looking forward to this cruise. 

Oh, and this morning I finally managed to get a photo of us on CC profile!

Have a great day!  Joseph

• Like 1

13 hours ago, joat said:

Seems we are still the only gay couple on the roll call for our July 6 cruise out of CPN (July 6, 2019 - 7 Day Viking Sagas).

Seems a great group of cruisers.  I think our M&G is now up to 46!  So looking forward to this cruise. 

Nice looking photo...enjoy your cruise guys!!!

17 hours ago, joat said:

Nice Photo!
and I am sure there are other Gay people ... just not "out" ... they might be ~trapped LOL

2 hours ago, balkor2 said:

Nice Photo!
and I am sure there are other Gay people ... just not "out" ... they might be ~trapped LOL

I feel confident there are other gays on the cruise.  I guess they are just not on Cruise Critic.

There has been a HAL hosted M&G for LGBT on the first evening of every cruise we have sailed. 

Hmmm.  Wonder who to ask at HAL?  I'll email our rep.

On 4/13/2019 at 5:53 AM, Roofire said:

We did 2 twelve day cruises b2b in 2016 in the Med.  Loved the whole experience.  This also gave us 2 days in major ports (Naples, Venice, Athens, Santorini) so that we had the chance to visit part of our site choices one day and others the next.  Great.

We were on HAL Oosterdam. Loved the ship.  In fact we have sailed on three of the compass ships of HAL.  Zuiderdam, in July will be the 4th.   As some HAL cruisers say, 'Love those dam ship!'

What line and ship are you sailing for your 'small' ship?

Something nice to know bout singles and LGBT gatherings.

Since no one in this group is sailing on our cruise, I wondered about an LGBT M&G (Meet and Greet) for our Zuiderdam cruise.  I emailed a chap in Ship Services of HAL about this.  He informs me that there is always an LGBT unofficial gathering and a singles gathering.  These are scheduled by the onboard entertainment staff and are listed in the daily program.  Just another nice touch from HAL. 

17 hours ago, joat said:

We did 2 twelve day cruises b2b in 2016 in the Med.  Loved the whole experience.  This also gave us 2 days in major ports (Naples, Venice, Athens, Santorini) so that we had the chance to visit part of our site choices one day and others the next.  Great.

We were on HAL Oosterdam. Loved the ship.  In fact we have sailed on three of the compass ships of HAL.  Zuiderdam, in July will be the 4th.   As some HAL cruisers say, 'Love those dam ship!'

What line and ship are you sailing for your 'small' ship?

RCI: Rhapsody of the Seas. First time to Croatia and Montenegro for us......also Santorini....😀

Rhapsody of the Seas is a nice ship.  It has been some years since we sailed on it.  Met a lovely steward on that cruise.  He is no longer on that ship.  We are still friends and stay in touch.  This itinerary is good.  One day we would like to spend a longer time in Kotor.  Very nice city.

We are sailing on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, June 22 from Vancouver to Alaska.

We booked that one because we have some friends from the UK (straight couple) who are doing that cruise.

Never bee on Holland America before -- but we always seem to have a good time, and meet fun people, no matter what line we are on.

Shauna and Shanna

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DrGaellon said:

My husband and I just booked a 7-night cruise on Oasis of the Seas for Dec 8-15 2019, to celebrate my 50th birthday.

FANTASTIC!  Have a fantastic cruise!

What is the itinerary?

We have a long time friend who is a steward on this ship.

Edited by joat

10 hours ago, DrGaellon said:

Miami - St Maarten - San Juan - Labadee - Miami

NICE!!!

When you are on Oasis my husband and I will be on Anthem 12/8 > 12/20 

12 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise

Cape Liberty - San Juan - ST Maarten - St Johns - ST Lucia - Barbados - ST Kitts - Cape Liberty

Wonder what the drive will be like from Southern VA to Elizabeth, NJ in Dec. Been a long time since we have been in the north during that time of the year

3 hours ago, balkor2 said:

Wonder what the drive will be like from Southern VA to Elizabeth, NJ in Dec. Been a long time since we have been in the north during that time of the year

It might be a nothing trip, it might be murder. Keep a close eye on the weather reports, and consider driving up a day early and staying over so you don't risk missing the boat.

• Like 1