Back from the Magic!

Wow what a cruise.

We couldn't get into Torshavn because it was windy and there's something wrong with the thrusters:confused:. We had a scientist with us so we parked along the line of totality at the best weather forecast with the help of the pilot from Torshavn. For an hour and 10 minutes we watched as varying amounts of cloud crossed the sky. We were told the chance was 50/50. Being the optimist I am that was good enough for me. With the tiniest slither of the sun left we lost sight completely. I have to admit even I was a bit downhearted then. Suddenly the sky cleared around the sun a dark shadow spread across the sea and we had totality. An audible gasp went up from the ship and 1500 people held their breath for two minutes. It was incredible, undescribable I definitely had a lump in my throat. and a few other people said the same thing. For the rest of the day I walked around with a huge grin on my face especially as we were told if we had managed to dock we would not have seen it. I really was satisfied that was the main one and it was text book perfect. However once we crossed the Arctic Circle I was thinking 'no, we should go for the double' :). So we sat on deck for 2 hours and we saw the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights, does not give it full justice), only for 30 minutes, but they were there. The next night was great, on for ages, the third night was the best the ship was sailing and they were all across the sky.

Sorry this is so long I wanted to try and share my experience. This cruise was a magical experience and I don't think I will ever go on a better one.

I haven't even mentioned the ports yet but I have things to do and just wanted to let you know it was successful.

V

Wow what a cruise.

We couldn't get into Torshavn because it was windy and there's something wrong with the thrusters:confused:. We had a scientist with us so we parked along the line of totality at the best weather forecast with the help of the pilot from Torshavn. For an hour and 10 minutes we watched as varying amounts of cloud crossed the sky. We were told the chance was 50/50. Being the optimist I am that was good enough for me. With the tiniest slither of the sun left we lost sight completely. I have to admit even I was a bit downhearted then. Suddenly the sky cleared around the sun a dark shadow spread across the sea and we had totality. An audible gasp went up from the ship and 1500 people held their breath for two minutes. It was incredible, undescribable I definitely had a lump in my throat. and a few other people said the same thing. For the rest of the day I walked around with a huge grin on my face especially as we were told if we had managed to dock we would not have seen it. I really was satisfied that was the main one and it was text book perfect. However once we crossed the Arctic Circle I was thinking 'no, we should go for the double' :). So we sat on deck for 2 hours and we saw the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights, does not give it full justice), only for 30 minutes, but they were there. The next night was great, on for ages, the third night was the best the ship was sailing and they were all across the sky.

Sorry this is so long I wanted to try and share my experience. This cruise was a magical experience and I don't think I will ever go on a better one.

I haven't even mentioned the ports yet but I have things to do and just wanted to let you know it was successful.

V

Wow! Sounds absolutely amazing. What a wonderful experience happy v - I'm so pleased for you that you were able to experience these magnificent events. :) I was watching the forecasts and hoping you would! We saw nothing here - it was totality alright! Complete cloud cover!!! :D Can't wait to hear all about the ports and the ship!

I think I had better end here, as it's not really appropriate. I can feel Dave glaring over my shoulder. :eek::D

Oh one last thing, we went to visit the Ice Hotel.

Right I'll now hand this back to Thomson. I'll read the news and find out how many more new ships we are getting.;);)

I think I had better end here, as it's not really appropriate. I can feel Dave glaring over my shoulder. :eek::D

Oh one last thing, we went to visit the Ice Hotel.

Right I'll now hand this back to Thomson. I'll read the news and find out how many more new ships we are getting.;);)

Are you posting on the review section happy v? Take your point about this forum ....... but nevertheless I'm longing to hear all the details.... ;):D

Are you posting on the review section happy v? Take your point about this forum ....... but nevertheless I'm longing to hear all the details.... ;):D

Probable not.

I don't think we did anything that hasn't been done. Ours just involved snow, frozen rivers, lakes, and waterfalls. Oh and Huskies.

One thing it has confirmed is we must go back to do the North Cape. Hopefully from a ship which comes to us (Newcastle) rather than Southampton. Just been reading the UK thread, though I am perfectly aware of all the rumours which are started on this forum.;)

Probable not.

I don't think we did anything that hasn't been done. Ours just involved snow, frozen rivers, lakes, and waterfalls. Oh and Huskies.

One thing it has confirmed is we must go back to do the North Cape. Hopefully from a ship which comes to us (Newcastle) rather than Southampton. Just been reading the UK thread, though I am perfectly aware of all the rumours which are started on this forum.;)

Sounds very different and an interesting change from the usual summer itineraries - I'd enjoy seeing it in winter. We love Norway - and would go anytime! Doing the North Cape at a different time of year would certainly be worth doing for you - it will be quite a contrast.

Not taken much note of rumours - just hope all was well for you and that you had a positive experience of P&O.