Is "Chicago" replacing "We Will Rock You" on Anthem?

RCI I have been holding auditions for the next cast of WWRY over the last few weeks in London and New York and the showreels are being viewed for the next cast as I write this. The contracts are for 8 months usually, 2 months rehersals in Miami followed by 6 months on Anthem. There was no mention of it moving ships so looking at timescales it looks like WWRY will continue on Anthem stateside.

It's worth remembering that until Queen released I want to break free, they had a massive stateside following, it dipped a little after that release but they still had a big following. Maybe their music will be the pull rather than the story content of the show.

Mama Mia is coming off Broadway this Autumn but I haven't heard anything about it coming off the West End.

It will be interesting to see what will be on The next new ship.

I'm guessing Royal paid some decent money for the rights to Mama Mia for Quantum, and now from what I understand it's no longer going to be on Quantum.

Thats right - it's going to be on Allure, starting next month :)

so RCCL has the shows as follows:

CATS - Oasis of the Seas

MAMMA MIA! - Allure of the Seas

SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER - Liberty of the Seas

WE WILL ROCK YOU! - Anthem of the Seas

maybe CHICAGO comes back on the Harmony of the Seas?? HAIRSPRAY comes back on the Freedom of the Seas??

It is extremely expensive and time consuming to change to a different show. Trust me, I'm in the business. So unfortunately it is unlikely that they will be changing WWRY on Anthem.

I'm a huge musical theatre fan. I'm also a big fan of the music of Queen but WWRY is an awful show. I spent a week watching when it opened in Vegas as I had to go out to support them for some technical issues. I had a colleague that saw them in London and told me how bad it was, I was still looking forward to it and thought it would be awesome.

My response back to him after watching the opening night show in Vegas? "I always wondered what a Six Flags show would look like if they had a real production budget. Now I know".

Yes, Vegas productions are often poor comparisons to BWay, but the script for the show was dreadful. No amount of glitter could make that turd sparkle.

I was very disappointed to find that it was going to be on Anthem after we booked a cruise. I'd much rather have any of the other shows instead.

I'm a huge musical theatre fan. I'm also a big fan of the music of Queen but WWRY is an awful show. I spent a week watching when it opened in Vegas as I had to go out to support them for some technical issues. I had a colleague that saw them in London and told me how bad it was, I was still looking forward to it and thought it would be awesome.

My response back to him after watching the opening night show in Vegas? "I always wondered what a Six Flags show would look like if they had a real production budget. Now I know".

Yes, Vegas productions are often poor comparisons to BWay, but the script for the show was dreadful. No amount of glitter could make that turd sparkle.

I was very disappointed to find that it was going to be on Anthem after we booked a cruise. I'd much rather have any of the other shows instead.

Ugh. I'm a huge musical theatre fan, and booked on the Anthem TA this fall. I am not familiar with WWRY at all. The reviews from Anthem cruisers are that the show is great, but all of this is so subjective. I guess I'll find out for myself. :confused:

I wouldn't consider the typical cruiser to be that into musical theatre or Broadway shows....

So why has EVERY cruise ship got a theatre lounge? And they are always packed for the shows.

So why has EVERY cruise ship got a theatre lounge? And they are always packed for the shows.

The Windjammer is always filled too. Does that mean people are that into buffets and go to them all the time at home?

Yes, a large % of the ship goes to see the shows on board, because they are free entertainment and that is great. I doubt that as many of those people are regular theatre patrons and certainly don't go to Broadway on a regular basis. Maybe a bit higher % on Anthem since it sails out of the NYC area, which is all the more tragic it has WWRY on it instead of a good show.

The Windjammer is always filled too. Does that mean people are that into buffets and go to them all the time at home?

Yes, a large % of the ship goes to see the shows on board, because they are free entertainment and that is great. I doubt that as many of those people are regular theatre patrons and certainly don't go to Broadway on a regular basis. Maybe a bit higher % on Anthem since it sails out of the NYC area, which is all the more tragic it has WWRY on it instead of a good show.

Anthem is sailing out of Southampton, UK. And WWRY won a Tony award and was on for 12 years, so must have done something right. Just because you don't like British humour or don't understand the references, doesn't make it a bad show. Just your opinion. But to make a sweeping statement that everyone on a cruise doesn't go to West End/Broadway shows and won't like this is way off and out of order.

I don't have a toy boat in my bathtub, but I like to cruise. I don't eat out every night but I like restaurants. I don't do the theatre every weekend, but I enjoy west end shows once or twice a year. I don't holiday every weekend, but I do like a two week holiday every year.

Your argument is that if you don't do it every week, why do it on a holiday/vacation? Well that is just ridiculous.

Anthem is sailing out of Southampton, UK. And WWRY won a Tony award and was on for 12 years, so must have done something right. Just because you don't like British humour or don't understand the references, doesn't make it a bad show. Just your opinion. But to make a sweeping statement that everyone on a cruise doesn't go to West End/Broadway shows and won't like this is way off and out of order.

I don't have a toy boat in my bathtub, but I like to cruise. I don't eat out every night but I like restaurants. I don't do the theatre every weekend, but I enjoy west end shows once or twice a year. I don't holiday every weekend, but I do like a two week holiday every year.

Your argument is that if you don't do it every week, why do it on a holiday/vacation? Well that is just ridiculous.

Yes, I acknowledged it was popular in London. Yes, I know Anthem is currently sailing out of the UK but as we've discussed here it is unlikely to change when it moves to NJ.

But you are incorrect on everything else. It has never played on Broadway and therefore never won a Tony award. It was a failure in the US. Don't make assumptions about me that you are wrong about. Since a kid I have watched many British comedy series and have seen and enjoy many British musicals I have seen too, including CATS.

Just admit it, while WWRY was popular in the UK it is not well liked over here. The music of Queen is VERY popular over here so that pretty much just leaves the blame with the horrid script and

Scott

Just admit it, while WWRY was popular in the UK it is not well liked over here. The music of Queen is VERY popular over here so that pretty much just leaves the blame with the horrid script and

Scott

I admit it, great UK show but Americans didn't like it, so it must have been the script and Scott to blame. Well done Scott for ruining what could have been a brilliant show.

The show was liked in South Korea, Spain, South Africa, Norway, Sweden, Canada, Germany, Russia, Italy, Netherlands, Australia, Japan, Switzerland, Austria, Mexico, Singapore, New Zealand & Belgium.

The Las Vegas show didn't do as well, but they cut the show down into one act, this might have then ruined the script (story) of it and why it didn't do well in America, or it was just Scott to blame on this one.

Yes, you are quite funny...must be that british humor of yours. Sorry that CC wouldn't let me edit the post to finish what I was typing that it was the bad script and bad acting...at least in the Vegas production. The script was so bad and cheesy that the actors couldn't even deliver the lines with any believability.

I normally hate cut down versions, but that was the only saving grace of that production. I had to sit through a half dozen performances of it during previews. The entire story and premise was just stupid with the cheesiest lines and bad, and obvious, puns. Nothing clever about it. That is the problem with a lot of the jukebox musical genre where they are trying to force a story just to connect some good songs together.

Yes, you are quite funny...must be that british humor of yours. Sorry that CC wouldn't let me edit the post to finish what I was typing that it was the bad script and bad acting...at least in the Vegas production. The script was so bad and cheesy that the actors couldn't even deliver the lines with any believability.

I normally hate cut down versions, but that was the only saving grace of that production. I had to sit through a half dozen performances of it during previews. The entire story and premise was just stupid with the cheesiest lines and bad, and obvious, puns. Nothing clever about it. That is the problem with a lot of the jukebox musical genre where they are trying to force a story just to connect some good songs together.

Glad you got the funny side of my post.

After looking into this matter further, it does seem that the Vegas production was butchered beyond the original much loved show. Cutting out the story and just having short links/jokes/puns to get to the next Queen song.

So give it another shot on Anthem and see if this is how the show should have been. I am on Anthem in July 2015 (60 days and counting) and will give you a full and honest review.

Hoping RCCL haven't cut it down and ruined it, but from other reviews it has got so far, it seems to be a hit.

Glad you got the funny side of my post.

After looking into this matter further, it does seem that the Vegas production was butchered beyond the original much loved show. Cutting out the story and just having short links/jokes/puns to get to the next Queen song.

So give it another shot on Anthem and see if this is how the show should have been. I am on Anthem in July 2015 (60 days and counting) and will give you a full and honest review.

Hoping RCCL haven't cut it down and ruined it, but from other reviews it has got so far, it seems to be a hit.

Admittedly it was about 10 years ago I saw it in the UK, but I don't think they had cut it down, and it did last about 2 hours with no interval.

They have updated some of the references and some very UK references have been made more international.