Cruising for Really Tall People

TheTallGuy

Hello, I am new to cruising and have always wanted to try it. The problem is I am 7 foot tall. Does anyone know of a cruise/ship where I can be somewhat comfortable? For instance, are the ceilings in the staterooms high enough? Are the shower ceilings high enough? And, are the beds close to being long enough?

My DS is 6'8". The main thing he has to watch for are the signs that hang down in the hallways of decks with rooms. I would try to get a room close the elevator/stairs so you don't have to walk down those hallways. I haven't heard him complain about the beds or showers but then he isn't one to complain much in the first place.

My brother is 6'10" and he loves to cruise. He has hit on so many things over the years, it's just a way of life for him.

Celebrity's S-class ships have pretty good showers for tall people, however their "curved" beds are very comfortable, but not real long, just like most lines.

He likes to scope out the men's shower rooms in the spa areas, and showers there. The M-class of Celebrity have great showers, sauna and thalassotherapy pool. (No up charge)

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Well, I'm on the short end of being tall, ;) only 6'3". I have to have the beds joined together, and I sleep from corner to corner; plus there's no way I can comfortably sleep in one of their twin/single beds.

I'd be worried about the curved beds, I'm only about 6'2" but find the curve reduces the length of the bed way too much.

I'm also 6'2" and find that my feet don't drift to the "corners". Celebrity's beds have a top pad system and there is no "mid-crack". We just got off the NCL Jewel, and they have full king size beds, even though their cabins are kind of small. Crack issues however. HAL used to have the best beds, but they are getting old and breaking down, also crack city.

Enjoy!

I'm also 6'2" and find that my feet don't drift to the "corners". Celebrity's beds have a top pad system and there is no "mid-crack". We just got off the NCL Jewel, and they have full king size beds, even though their cabins are kind of small. Crack issues however. HAL used to have the best beds, but they are getting old and breaking down, also crack city.

Enjoy!

No problem with a crack, but because I tend to sleep on the edge of the bed the shortest part with that awful curve comes about 3 or 4 inches above my ankle, hate to be real tall.

DH is 'only' 6'6" but we've learned to avoid cabins that have bathtubs, not shower stalls. The bathroom floor on cruise ships is a step up from the cabin floor. The floor of the tub is up even higher, cutting down on the headroom even more.

I once toured the Celebrity Infinity. Even I (at 5'4") felt the ceilings were low so we've not cruised on her or her sister ships.

We've read of short showers on Oceania's older ships. I think people 6'2" have had problems in those.

We've sailed on HAL and Princess without problems with beds or showers. Disney only had tub/shower combs, but he did ok there. The cabins are larger on Disney so that helps.

Good luck!

Just as sort of an Off-Hand Suggestion. You might even want to look at the Handicap Accessible Rooms. Most do not have the "step up" to the Bathroom, and some have room to have a cot put at the end of the bed to make it a little longer.

Your best bet would be to contact your cruise line of choice and ask for "Special Needs" (Being 7 foot tall, you probably have special needs). See what they suggest.

You can use the spa area for showers and saunas free of charge. I can only speak for Princess, Hal and Celebrity. I have read on Cruise Critic in many families the men tend to use those areas when their wives and daughters are getting ready for dinner and taking over the cabin bathroom. LOL

DH is 'only' 6'6" but we've learned to avoid cabins that have bathtubs, not shower stalls. The bathroom floor on cruise ships is a step up from the cabin floor. The floor of the tub is up even higher, cutting down on the headroom even more.

Yep. My DH is 6'5" and this was an issue on our last cruise. He made it work, but the ceiling seemed low for me at 5'9'.

We've read of short showers on Oceania's older ships. I think people 6'2" have had problems in those.

Yes, we've posted about Oceania a few times. Mr Chew is 6'4" and could not stand up in our shower/tub combo, and we were in a "penthouse" cabin. And he barely fits in the HAL shower/tubs. He's never complained about the beds.

However, several years ago we took a cruise with our sons. One is 6'6" and he was very uncomfortable sleeping, did a lot of complaining about the short beds.

We had a tour of a Navy ship once. Our guide was quite tall- don't remember how tall. Some one said he probably hit his head all the time going thru doorways. He said he never hits his head because he is used to ducking in all the doorways. He said it the guys who at 6'-6'6' hit their heads all the time because they're not used to having to duck.

As someone who is 7' tall you are probably used to lower ceilings. Just about all showers have a removable shower head so you can use it to rinse you shampooed head.

I was thinking that a RCCL Sky Loft or Royal Loft would be the best cabin for someone 7' tall since they are 2 stories tall and the living room has super high ceilings. It is possible that you could sleep on the fold out sofa and the cabin steward could add a cot to the end to make the bed extra long. These suites have 2 bathrooms and double showers in the upstairs bathroom. I would think you could bring a portable shower stool and take a shower sitting down in these large showers since the shower head is on a long hose.

As someone who is 7' tall you are probably used to lower ceilings. Just about all showers have a removable shower head so you can use it to rinse you shampooed head.

Most showers on Princess have fixed shower heads.