NCL isn't the only cruise line "cutting corners"

bangzoom6877

Yes but one of the pleasures of a cruise is that cup of coffee in your robe on the balcony to start the day. To now be charged for this service is crazy especially since most people tip the room service person anyway. And I don't want to have to leave the room and bring it back.
I don't think most people tip the room steward for delivering their order, just as they didn't tip at the end of the cruise in the old days. I remember dining rooms being 1/2 empty, because folks didn't want to tip and if they did, then NCL and other lines wouldn't have implemented the DSC or automatic gratuities.

I don't care for spending anymore cash than the next guy. NCL doing these "Tests" and raising fees and gratuities and all. Yeah it sucks!

But to keep it in perspective, I am sailing the Dawn in late May early June. Price of my suite (SJ), no promotions other than OBC (I booked a year out), with purchased UDP and pre-paid gratuities by us for two is costing me a few hundres dollars less than our first cruise 15 years ago on Royal Carribean.

Cruises are expensive, I personally hope they will always be so somewhat. I do not want to have to be on a waitlist to get a booking due to them being too cheap.

Also right or wrong, All these fare increases help pay for new builds and also money potentially lost due to so many promos. I know on my last Dawn cruise I saw a LOT of 1/4 to 1/2 drinks left behind. Folks are just ordering what ever they want and may only take a few sips, who cares they say they can have all they want.

I know of a more than a few folks that routinly paid a $1,200 bar tab per cruise, now with promo it is complimentary or less than $800 for two if purchased.

I don't think most people tip the room steward for delivering their order, just as they didn't tip at the end of the cruise in the old days. I remember dining rooms being 1/2 empty, because folks didn't want to tip and if they did, then NCL and other lines wouldn't have implemented the DSC or automatic gratuities.

Most folks I know do tip for RS.

I know what you mean about the Last Dinner, so many times we were the only ones at the table.

No, NCL isn't the only cruise line cutting corners. They ARE, however, being really stupid about it.

Comparing and contrasting the different approaches adopted by NCL and CCL in their new room service plans is very instructive. NCL bull-and-china-shops their way to an unforced shot to the foot, while CCL actually ADDS value to the RS amenity while keeping established customers placated.

So, a waiter in the DSC pool delivers a coffee and pastry with a delivery charge..........am I really expected to tip on top.....i.e. triple dipping.

No, NCL isn't the only cruise line cutting corners. They ARE, however, being really stupid about it.

Comparing and contrasting the different approaches adopted by NCL and CCL in their new room service plans is very instructive. NCL bull-and-china-shops their way to an unforced shot to the foot, while CCL actually ADDS value to the RS amenity while keeping established customers placated.

Over on the Canival board they complain and whine just like here on NCL. Also I finally see someone complimenting on CCL's practices. To read these board you would get the worst ever impression of them.

So, a waiter in the DSC pool delivers a coffee and pastry with a delivery charge..........am I really expected to tip on top.....i.e. triple dipping.
I don't think I said you had to tip or made a judgment call on tipping for delivery of room service, I merely pointed out that many don't tip for room service (in response to a poster that said they most did tip) or other things and thank you very much for proving my point.

I would love to find a cruise line that does things the "old school" way. I would gladly pay more ... but to go back to the days of the midnight buffets, the whole lobsters at dinner, the amazing dinners without specialty restaurants, and 24-hour room service with a decent menu ... I'd pay extra for that.

What about Cunard?

Over on the Canival board they complain and whine just like here on NCL. Also I finally see someone complimenting on CCL's practices. To read these board you would get the worst ever impression of them.

Mebbe so, but on the issue of room service, there's no doubt there's far more heat on this issue here than there. For lots of very good reasons, but the two main ones being: (1) implementation -- not going to rehash but basically it's no notice versus several weeks notice, and (2) the plan itself, which on CCL continues to provide free room service with the possibility of adding charge items to the order, while on NCL there's a delivery ("convenience") charge tacked onto every single order, no matter how large or small.

Yes but one of the pleasures of a cruise is that cup of coffee in your robe on the balcony to start the day. To now be charged for this service is crazy especially since most people tip the room service person anyway. And I don't want to have to leave the room and bring it back.

Since your in a balcony, why would you not just brew a cup in your room and take it out to the balcony? Even easier than room service and since it is provided as part of your room the would be no issues? Your steward will give you all the coffee, sugar and cream you want.

Only those with a guilt complex for the crew and who are on cc are probably the ones who tip room service

Think about it..... Why wouldn't the 98 % of cruisers who are NOT on cc think to tip?

The dsc covers it in their mind and rightly so

I don't tip in the mdr because the dsc covers it

Now for those that will pick apart my post......

Remember you are on cc....

So you are the ones that read the threads and read that pax give a buck or 2 to room service

The other 98% don't read cc so they don't read about the tip

See my point

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Those of us who do tip for room service (as you would at a hotel) are among the few? I feel it is the right thing to do (my personal choice--no judgments please--I'm not judging others). The times I do order room service on NCL (or Carnival or any other cruiseline) I will continue to tip. I am grateful to be able to enjoy cruising and room service. :cool:

I do think all the mass market cruiselines have cut back here or there.

Edited by mizlorinj

NCL doesn't care whether most people tip the person delivering you your morning coffee through room service. They care about their bottom line and making money because NCL is a business like any other business. And don't balcony cabins have coffee makers? You could still enjoy that cup of coffee in your robe on your balcony if you want.

It used to get me so mad, even as a teenager, that so many people wouldn't go to the dining room the last evening of the cruise. It was so obvious that it was to "escape" tipping their waiter. I started seeing this more when they began serving dinner at the buffet in addition to the dining room, some time in the 1990s. When we first cruised in 1990 (I was 13), the dining room was full every night including the last night, but that was the only option for dinner besides the limited room service menu and I don't think people were going to pass up the nice items on the MDR menu for a BLT or a PB&J for dinner the last night of their vacation. But once the buffet was available for dinner (and they served everything there, including steak), so many people wouldn't eat in the MDR the last night. I felt so bad for the waiters, as they worked very hard and earned their tips.

Only those with a guilt complex for the crew and who are on cc are probably the ones who tip room service

Think about it..... Why wouldn't the 98 % of cruisers who are NOT on cc think to tip?

So you are the ones that read the threads and read that pax give a buck or 2 to room service

See my point

I tipped room service way prior to ever knowing about the internet. I will continue to give a buck or so for RS. It is more personal to me to give thanks to the individual.

As far as the DSC and extra fees go, I could do without them sure. To me though it is just part of the fare. I still give individual TIPS when I choose to. When I cannot or do not want to spend what it takes to go on a cruise vacation I will go elsewhere.

Those of us who do tip for room service (as you would at a hotel) are among the few? I feel it is the right thing to do (my personal choice--no judgments please--I'm not judging others). The times I do order room service on NCL (or Carnival or any other cruiseline) I will continue to tip. I am grateful to be able to enjoy cruising and room service. :cool:

I do think all the mass market cruiselines have cut back here or there.

I would hope most people would tip room service, but the reality is that most people are simply looking out for themselves in this world. Have you seen the way some passengers treat the crew, especially the waiters, on a cruise? It's terrible, and I'm sure those are the ones tipping the least. There's too much false sense of entitlement in this world and it does not stop at cruises.

I tipped room service way prior to ever knowing about the internet. I will continue to give a buck or so for RS. It is more personal to me to give thanks to the individual.

As far as the DSC and extra fees go, I could do without them sure. To me though it is just part of the fare. I still give individual TIPS when I choose to. When I cannot or do not want to spend what it takes to go on a cruise vacation I will go elsewhere.

I tipped before the internet too, and I was a teenager. It's what my parents taught us to do. Sometimes my sister and I would order room service because it was a big deal to a kid, and my parents always made sure to tell us to tip the person delivering our food. And back then the only info I got to look at about the ship was the book the cruise line put out, so I would look at the deck plans constantly...no CC and no internet! ;)

Carnival also listened to people and started a new program called Journeys. Consisting of longer cruises and to less known ports as Tobago, LaPaz, Ixtapa. Also will have a throwback sea day with baked Alaska, gala midnight buffet, and white glove captain's celebration like in years past.

Too stuffy

A judgement? Or you experienced this?

I feel you talk a big game for paying extra for truly all inclusive, but when given the choice you will talk your self out of it. Why? It is a lot more expensive still.

If I had listened to folks on these boards I would never have sailed HAL to the Panama Canal. They said HAL was too stuffy, bunch of blue hairs and all. No night life? Those folks averaging 50's partied till the wee hours of the morning every day. To this day that cruise, the folks, ship, crew and destination is my favorite.

Right now NCL is my line of choice, the sucky extra fees and all. Cruising to Bermuda in May/June on the DAWN. If it sucks... I will most likely book next years cruise on the HAL Veendam to Bermuda.

It still amazes me that NCL even with the upped fees is as affordable as it is.

See my point

I think you missed my point, I said most don't tip. But if you point was that those that do tip, tip only because of guilt...no I don't get your point. I for one, don't tip because of where someone is from, how many children they have, how many family members they support, any medical issue they or their family has or how much money they make, I tip depending on how a service is extended to me. I would venture to guess that the majority that tip, do it for the same reason.

I think you missed my point, I said most don't tip. But if you point was that those that do tip, tip only because of guilt...no I don't get your point. I for one, don't tip because of where someone is from, how many children they have, how many family members they support, any medical issue they or their family has or how much money they make, I tip depending on how a service is extended to me. I would venture to guess that the majority that tip, do it for the same reason.

Yes! And to add, sob stories make me want to tip less, as I believe it is unprofessional for someone providing a service to tell you sob stories, and obvious they're trying to squeeze more money out of you.

It used to get me so mad, even as a teenager, that so many people wouldn't go to the dining room the last evening of the cruise. It was so obvious that it was to "escape" tipping their waiter. I started seeing this more when they began serving dinner at the buffet in addition to the dining room, some time in the 1990s. When we first cruised in 1990 (I was 13), the dining room was full every night including the last night, but that was the only option for dinner besides the limited room service menu and I don't think people were going to pass up the nice items on the MDR menu for a BLT or a PB&J for dinner the last night of their vacation. But once the buffet was available for dinner (and they served everything there, including steak), so many people wouldn't eat in the MDR the last night. I felt so bad for the waiters, as they worked very hard and earned their tips.

I noticed the dining rooms quite empty on a lot of my cruises in the early days and, in those days, there was no evening buffet. I guess being hungry was better than tipping.

I noticed the dining rooms quite empty on a lot of my cruises in the early days and, in those days, there was no evening buffet. I guess being hungry was better than tipping.

Wow! And you would think people picky about spending money would want to eat the food they had already paid for in their cruise fare, and not the limited room service food. Perhaps they ordered TONS of food from room service instead (quantity over quality), and didn't tip that person either.

Someone not showing up for dinner on the last day was the exception, not the norm. I certainly never witnessed half full dining rooms. I also saw people giving out their envelopes with hand shakes and hugs.

We have always tipped for room service, whether it was just coffee, or food. I will not tip now with a service charge in place.

See my point

I can't imagine anyone having something brought to their room by someone else and not tipping for it, or not thinking to tip.